Tax, invoices, paypal and Germany. Can anyone help?
Thread poster: Ayca Turkoglu

Ayca Turkoglu
United Kingdom
Local time: 15:25
Turkish to English
+ ...
Sep 18, 2013

I live in the UK and have just graduated and was recently offered some translation work (ENG>TUR) by a company in Germany. They said that in order to pay me I would need to register as self-employed with the HMRC, which I did the week before last. I know I won't be earning over the amount for which I'll need to pay tax. I've completed the translation and now need to send an invoice. Are there any specific guidelines for how to draw up an invoice when sending it to Germany? Can I use the Pay Pal invoicing tool? The Pay Pal invoice includes a section for entering tax- do I need to calculate tax? If so, how? Does this even apply?

Apologies for how garbled and dim this all sounds, but I really have no clue about where to start!

Thanks.

Direct link Reply with quote

Ra
Germany
Local time: 16:25
German to Korean
+ ...
Sep 18, 2013

aycatur wrote:

I live in the UK and have just graduated and was recently offered some translation work (ENG>TUR) by a company in Germany. They said that in order to pay me I would need to register as self-employed with the HMRC, which I did the week before last. I know I won't be earning over the amount for which I'll need to pay tax. I've completed the translation and now need to send an invoice. Are there any specific guidelines for how to draw up an invoice when sending it to Germany? Can I use the Pay Pal invoicing tool? The Pay Pal invoice includes a section for entering tax- do I need to calculate tax? If so, how? Does this even apply?

Apologies for how garbled and dim this all sounds, but I really have no clue about where to start!

Thanks.

[Edited at 2013-09-18 19:31 GMT]

[Edited at 2013-09-18 20:02 GMT]

[Edited at 2013-09-18 20:14 GMT]

Kirsten Bodart  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 16:25
Dutch to English
+ ...
You just need to invoice Sep 18, 2013

to a company, address and VAT number. So put the company's details on it, as well as your own. There is a clause in the law that exempts you from needing a VAT number, so put that on it too, at the bottom somewhere.

If you do not have a VAT number, you cannot charge VAT, as VAT is tax that is passed from customer to the authorities via companies. As you do not have to make a declaration, you cannot charge VAT because you wouldn't pass it on. So you do not need to calculate any tax on top of your fee.

At any rate, about three years ago VAT legislation changed: two parties in different EU countries with each a VAT number do not have to charge each other VAT and thus no longer have to claim back the difference. The only instance in which a party with a VAT number has to charge VAT to a party in another EU country is when the latter party has no VAT number (like private customers). But that's not applicable to you yet. Just as an aside.

Just make sure that your invoice is clear, even to a person who was not part of your project.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Tax, invoices, paypal and Germany. Can anyone help?

Advanced search

BaccS – Business Accounting Software
Modern desktop project management for freelance translators

BaccS makes it easy for translators to manage their projects, schedule tasks, create invoices, and view highly customizable reports. User-friendly, ProZ.com integration, community-driven development – a few reasons BaccS is trusted by translators!

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search