Thread poster: gabyhm
gabyhm  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 16:55
Spanish to English
+ ...
Oct 14, 2013

Hi,

I recently moved to the US and have been working a bit as a freelance-translator here, I was wondering how do you declare taxes when you do contract work with companies outside of the US? For tax purposes, I imagine it is better to work with translation companies located in the US. I have no knowledge about this, and would appreciate your feedback.

Best,

Gabriella

Direct link Reply with quote

Nicole Schnell  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 13:55
English to German
+ ...
Income is income Oct 14, 2013

It doesn't matter where it comes from.

Tip: Don't forget to deduct all the PayPal and banking fees that occur with international transfers as losses.

raptisi  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 23:55
English to Greek
+ ...
US Taxes Oct 14, 2013

The US tax system is really rational, and I mean this! You have to declare your income, irrespective of provenance. An exception is, if you choose to be taxed somewhere else, also (for instance in France). Try www.ustreas.gov, there have some interesting material.
Good luck!

Paulo César Mendes MD, CT  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 15:55
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Get a tax preparer Oct 14, 2013

If you're taxed the US, your worldwide business income is taxable, whatever the country or currency.

As Nicole mentioned, you may be able to claim a bunch of deductions (certainly bank fees, but also advertising and other business expenses). Have a look at Schedule C in Form 1040 and you may see what else you might deduct.

You want to be careful though, as the IRS audits a higher proportion of returns by self-employed people (ie, those filing Schedule C), specially if too many deductions are claimed.

In summary, your best bet is probably to get a tax pro look over your stuff.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Tax declaration

Advanced search

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search