Thread poster: Alex Lago

Alex Lago  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 09:02
Member (2009)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Oct 15, 2013

I'm used to Proz having low offers and it doesn't bother me (I just don't accept any of the jobs) however I do look at the job postings and I just saw one that actually made me sad the job wasn't a translation job though it was language related it seemed to have something to do with getting rid of extraneous data (it wasn't explained very well) but what was clear was the rate which was an APPALLING 3 to 5 US dollars per hour depending on the language pair.

It saddens me to see someone offer such a paltry wage. It saddens me to think some people may even accept it. I saddens me to see Proz being a willing party to this.

[Edited at 2013-10-15 18:48 GMT]

Direct link Reply with quote

Benno Groeneveld  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 03:02
English to Dutch
+ ...
Pretty soon Oct 15, 2013

we'll see ads asking translators to pay for the privilege of working for these companies!

LilianNekipelov  Identity Verified
United States
Russian to English
+ ...
Well this wage would be illegal in the US. Oct 15, 2013

Anything below the minimum wage which is over $8, if I am not mistaken, like $8.75, would be illegal in the US.If the job is intended for such countries where the minimum wage is $2, let's say, it is up to the people whether to accept it or not. You cannot target people living in the countries where the minimum wage is higher than that. Plus, a translator working for a minimum wage? Wouldn't that be outrageous. I think I'd rather work at a fast food restaurant for $10 an hour and a fish sandwich.
It is actually $7.25 on the Federal level, and then it varies by state. It is $9 in New York and $9.1 in Washington State. Even fast food restaurants pay around $10, though, and possibly give some food as a perk.

[Edited at 2013-10-15 19:34 GMT]

philgoddard
United States
German to English
+ ...
. Oct 15, 2013

If you believe the poster is offering less than the minimum wage in the country concerned, you should submit a support request. I've found ProZ staff to be very good at removing illegal job offers quickly.

jyuan_us  Identity Verified
United States
Member (2005)
English to Chinese
+ ...
The minimum wage applies to salaried jobs only, Oct 15, 2013

LilianBNekipelo wrote:

Anything below the minimum wage which is over $8, if I am not mistaken, like $8.75, would be illegal in the US.If the job is intended for such countries where the minimum wage is $2, let's say, it is up to the people whether to accept it or not. You cannot target people living in the countries where the minimum wage is higher than that. Plus, a translator working for a minimum wage? Wouldn't that be outrageous. I think I'd rather work at a fast food restaurant for $10 an hour and a fish sandwich.
It is actually $7.25 on the Federal level, and then it varies by state. It is $9 in New York and $9.1 in Washington State. Even fast food restaurants pay around $10, though, and possibly give some food as a perk.

[Edited at 2013-10-15 19:34 GMT]

not to contracted work.

Joanna Wang  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 02:02
English to Chinese
Spread the words!!! Oct 16, 2013

philgoddard wrote:

If you believe the poster is offering less than the minimum wage in the country concerned, you should submit a support request. I've found ProZ staff to be very good at removing illegal job offers quickly.

We should let every translator know that s/he can submit a request so that Pro Z staff can remove illegal offers/ ridiculous low rate jobs.

philgoddard
United States
German to English
+ ...
Yes, jyuan has a point. Oct 16, 2013

I can't imagine many countries applying a minimum wage to freelances. I was thinking of two recent job postings specifying that only women were acceptable, which is illegal in large parts of the world. They were deleted very promptly.

Vadim Kadyrov  Identity Verified
Ukraine
Local time: 10:02
Member (2011)
English to Russian
+ ...
The thing is that Oct 16, 2013

proz.com philosophy is the reason such ads are posted.

Can you imagine that someone tries to find a lawyer or a surgeon by posting ads for hundreds of self-proclamed lawyers or doctors?

This is exactly what is going on here.

Any reputable agency has already found decent translators for the most of popular language pairs. So anyone posting ads here is trying to find cheaper translators.

And when rate is the main factor, it is inevitable that the price will be drifting down constantly. There will ALWAYS be someone who can make it 2 cents cheaper.

Chris Durban said that. Steve Slaunwhite said that. Ed Gandia said that.

You can`t do anything. The only thing you can do is to stop looking for clients there.
Proz.com is a valuable website for those who wish to communicate, share valuable content, etc. But sorry, this is definitely not a place where decent rates can be found (with few exceptions which confirm the rule).

[Edited at 2013-10-16 05:51 GMT]

[Edited at 2013-10-16 05:53 GMT]

Thayenga  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2009)
English to German
+ ...
My words Oct 16, 2013

Benno Groeneveld wrote:

we'll see ads asking translators to pay for the privilege of working for these companies!

Whenever I've come across such "generous" offers, my reply was always the same: Translator, be happy to pay the agency for the priviledge of being allowed to work for them.

Just like Alex I find it extremely sad that such jobs are allowed to be posted, and even sadder when colleagues accept these low rates, notwithstanding the fact that these rates are gross payments, resulting in even less income once the transfer fees were deducted.

However, there may be countries where an hourly rate of 3 - 5 USD is a great income.

The other day I downloaded what was called a "Translator Guide", and was slightly astounted to read that it was "common to charge USD 0.01 - 0.03 per word" and that "one's geographical location must not affect how much a translator charges". Again, that income would be before the deduction of money transfer fees.

Nicole Schnell  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 00:02
English to German
+ ...
Good one. Oct 16, 2013

Thayenga wrote:
"one's geographical location must not affect how much a translator charges".

Always makes me feel bad when I receive "offers" from countries whose median annual income pretty much equals my monthly rent. I guess, I am not "flexible" enough.

Vadim Kadyrov  Identity Verified
Ukraine
Local time: 10:02
Member (2011)
English to Russian
+ ...
Have you ever Oct 16, 2013

visited oDesk or freelancer.com?

Rates posted here will be a blessing for those who hang out there. So this is definitely not the bottom.

But let me cite something:

"The last thing you want to do is waste one or two hours quoting for a project for which 10 other competitors will be submitting proposals".

This is what is happening here all the time. It is therefore only natural that price is the main factor.

Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
@Joanna Oct 16, 2013

Joanna Wang wrote:
philgoddard wrote:

We should let every translator know that s/he can submit a request so that Pro Z staff can remove illegal offers/ ridiculous low rate jobs.

I think you misunderstood what Phil said. ProZ.com staff won't remove a jobs post simply because the rate is lower than a certain threshold. They will remove illegal jobs posts.

I'm not sure if ProZ.com staff will buy the argument about low-rate jobs being "illegal" if the rate offered converts to less than the minimum wage in the country of the jobs poster. There are just too many variables. Even if the country of the jobs poster has minimum wage laws for freelancers, it may still be very difficult to make a judgement about whether the jobs post is illegal.

jyuan_us wrote:
LilianBNekipelo wrote:
Anything below the minimum wage which is over $8, if I am not mistaken, like $8.75, would be illegal in the US.

The minimum wage applies to salaried jobs only, not to contracted work.

Yes, that is my understanding also, namely that in the United States the minimum wage laws apply only to employees and not to freelancers. I could not find confirmation about this on the US government's own web site, but here is a lawyer's site that says it.

In other countries, minimum wage may apply for freelancers in some cases (I can imagine the EU laws would be more equitable). In my previous country (South Africa) for example, minimum wage applies to everyone, even if you work for a private person, even if you work for only 1 hour.

[Edited at 2013-10-16 07:01 GMT]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Ok this has got to be the lowest offer I've seen on Proz

Advanced search

SDL Trados Studio 2017 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2017 helps translators increase translation productivity whilst ensuring quality. Combining translation memory, terminology management and machine translation in one simple and easy-to-use environment.

More info »
LSP.expert
You’re a freelance translator? LSP.expert helps you manage your daily translation jobs. It’s easy, fast and secure.

How about you start tracking translation jobs and sending invoices in minutes? You can also manage your clients and generate reports about your business activities. So you always keep a clear view on your planning, AND you get a free 30 day trial period!

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search