https://www.proz.com/forum/money_matters/257933-japanese_toenglish_translation_price_per_1000_words.html

Japanese toEnglish Translation price per 1000 words
Thread poster: Stuart Carthy
Stuart Carthy
Stuart Carthy  Identity Verified
Japan
Local time: 06:48
Japanese to English
Oct 16, 2013

Hello

I'm a Japanese to English translator and have so far only worked in Japan (I am English, based in Japan).

I want to move into the UK market, so I'm looking for an idea of what the average is for 1000 English words translated from Japanese.

I know that some replies will say 'depends on so many factors' but ... any pointers?

From the research I've done it looks like at the higher end skilled translators with a ton of experience are chargi
... See more
Hello

I'm a Japanese to English translator and have so far only worked in Japan (I am English, based in Japan).

I want to move into the UK market, so I'm looking for an idea of what the average is for 1000 English words translated from Japanese.

I know that some replies will say 'depends on so many factors' but ... any pointers?

From the research I've done it looks like at the higher end skilled translators with a ton of experience are charging up to £160.00. I'm a thorough worker but all the same I think I should be charging less than that for now. Of course, I don't want to set my prices too low as they will be difficult to increase.

Any help will be much appreciated

[Edited at 2013-10-16 05:59 GMT]

[Edited at 2013-10-16 06:18 GMT]

[Edited at 2013-10-16 06:25 GMT]
Collapse

Orrin Cummins
Orrin Cummins  Identity Verified
Japan
Local time: 06:48
Japanese to English
+ ...
What field? Oct 16, 2013

Also, I assume that by "1000 words" you mean of course 1000 characters (kanji)?

I think that 0.10 USD per character is a pretty good rate. Most jobs I see are less than 0.05, but you can't live off that really - not in Japan or the UK at least. Experienced translators may make a lot more than 10 cents, but most of them have direct clients and/or clients which they have worked with for many years. Shooting for over 0.10 USD/character isn't really realistic for someone trying to estab
... See more
Also, I assume that by "1000 words" you mean of course 1000 characters (kanji)?

I think that 0.10 USD per character is a pretty good rate. Most jobs I see are less than 0.05, but you can't live off that really - not in Japan or the UK at least. Experienced translators may make a lot more than 10 cents, but most of them have direct clients and/or clients which they have worked with for many years. Shooting for over 0.10 USD/character isn't really realistic for someone trying to establish themselves, in my opinion. 10 US cents a character would be 100 USD for 1000 characters, which according to Google is 62.60 British Pound Sterling.

I wouldn't be too heartbroken if you can't find jobs that pay that rate at first, though; J->E can be a tough market no matter where you live.
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Japanese toEnglish Translation price per 1000 words

Translation news

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »