Quicken or Freshbooks for international clients?
Thread poster: jennnifersteine
jennnifersteine
United States
French to English
+ ...
Oct 23, 2013

Hello, I am just starting a freelance business and my accountant has told me to buy Quicken for my invoicing/accounting. I had already started tracking time, etc. using Freshbooks which I really like, but now that I'm getting ready to send my first invoice I'm wondering if I should heed the advice and buy quickbooks (around 100 usd!)

After I started researching, I realized this could get tricky as I am based in the US (with a US bank account) and my client is in Europe.

If anyone has any experience with this, I would be greatly appreciative!

Thanks,
Jennifer

Direct link Reply with quote

Sheila Wilson  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 10:12
Member (2007)
English
+ ...
Do you have a real need for either? Oct 23, 2013

Why does s/he say you need a package? Is there some particular reason? Why would this be important for international clients rather than local ones? Many of us just use Excel or similar for invoicing and accounts. My clients are all over the world yet it doesn't take more than a few minutes for me to invoice them. There's also an invoicing facility here on ProZ.com that I hear is very good.

I used to use Quicken (if we're talking about the same product) to keep track of all my personal and business accounting. It seemed important at the time to us, particularly as we have bank accounts in a couple of countries. But we let it get out of date and when we had a computer crash we couldn't transfer the data to an up-to-date version. Now I don't know why I wasted so much time feeding it!

jennnifersteine
United States
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
payment from international clients Oct 23, 2013

Hmmm that's interesting.. I don't know why he pushed for Quicken so urgently.

I guess now my dilemma is trying to figure out the best way my client can make payments to my US bank account. Freshbooks uses paypal which seems like a good option for international clients. I had assumed though that my client would be able to make a deposit into my US bank account even though they're in France. Can I ask how many of you receive payments from international clients?

thank you!
Jennifer

Lori Cirefice  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 11:12
French to English
Transfers and bookkeeping Oct 23, 2013

Quicken/freshbooks = software to keep track of your accounting

Paypal/intl bank transfer/check/direct deposit etc = different methods of payment, some better than others depending on location, amounts involved and cost

Payment method is decided between you and clients, and should have no bearing at all on which software to choose!

A client in France could pay by paypal or bank transfer. For a bank transfer, ask your bank to give you the right details, usually swift code, intermediary bank, sometimes aba code, account number

jennnifersteine
United States
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
thanks! Oct 25, 2013

Thank you Lori!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Quicken or Freshbooks for international clients?

Advanced search

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »
SDL Trados Studio 2017 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2017 helps translators increase translation productivity whilst ensuring quality. Combining translation memory, terminology management and machine translation in one simple and easy-to-use environment.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search