Average fee to direct clients in UK per source word
Thread poster: manfredi nadai

manfredi nadai
Local time: 06:01
French to Italian
+ ...
Nov 7, 2013

I have been asked by an association of notaries in London my fee for source word...Please advice about the current/average fees for translations to direct clients in London...Subject: legal translation

James Heppe-Smith  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2010)
German to English

Moderator of this forum
Not sure but... Nov 7, 2013

... do they call themselves an "Association of Notaries"? It is a rather strange expression for use in the UK. Please do your homework on them before investing any time in a project! Due diligence always helps.

Thayenga  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2009)
English to German
+ ...
Please check here Nov 8, 2013

Hi manfredi,

please check the following link which gives you an idea of the rates in your language pair and fields.icon_smile.gifhttp://search.proz.com/?sp=pfe/rates

What your prospective clients call themselves shouldn't have any impact on your rates.

Christine Andersen  Identity Verified
Denmark
Member (2003)
Danish to English
+ ...
Those averages include rates to agencies Nov 8, 2013

The figures in the chart Thayenga suggests are indeed averages, but they include rates charged to agencies, which are naturally lower than rates charged to direct clients.

Rates also vary from country to country.
I find UK rates fairly low for my language pairs, but other factors may affect the final figure.

My advice is not to worry too much about the average, and set a reasonable fee yourself, although of course you do need to keep within certain limits to be realistic. Don't set your rate below any averages you may come across!

manfredi nadai
French to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Well, it is a big notary public office which various offices throughout the UK... Nov 8, 2013

James Heppe-Smith wrote:

... do they call themselves an "Association of Notaries"? It is a rather strange expression for use in the UK. Please do your homework on them before investing any time in a project! Due diligence always helps.

manfredi nadai
French to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I checked it, but i think it gives a reference for agencies fees...does it? Nov 8, 2013

Thayenga wrote:

Hi manfredi,

please check the following link which gives you an idea of the rates in your language pair and fields.icon_smile.gifhttp://search.proz.com/?sp=pfe/rates

What your prospective clients call themselves shouldn't have any impact on your rates.

Dear Thayenga, thanks very much for your link, but I already checked it; the thing is it gives I think a reference for a fee to an agency, not to a direct client.

Natalia Mackevich  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 05:01
English to Russian
+ ...
Here's a link I've got from this forum recently Nov 8, 2013

http://www.londonfreelance.org/feesguide/index.php?language=en&country=UK&section=Translation&subsect=All#!
I think this freelance fees guide is what you are looking for, but please remember that these are only guidelines.

Thayenga  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2009)
English to German
+ ...
A general overview Nov 9, 2013

manfredi nadai wrote:

Dear Thayenga, thanks very much for your link, but I already checked it; the thing is it gives I think a reference for a fee to an agency, not to a direct client.

Dear manfredi,

the link gives you an overview of the average rates in general, whether you charge it to an agency or a direct/end client doesn't matter.icon_wink.gif

Christine Andersen  Identity Verified
Denmark
Member (2003)
Danish to English
+ ...
Charging more to direct clients Nov 11, 2013

I don't have a lot of experience in this, but it is logical to charge more to direct clients than to agencies, to reflect the full cost of the service provided.

If you work for direct clients you should charge where appropriate if you yourself carry out the services provided by good agencies - marketing, formatting or DTP, coordinating multi-language projects, proofreading and editing by a second linguist, or whatever else is involved. They all take time, and of course, should be paid for.

Whether they are included in the word price or not is a good question.

It does make the whole pricing issue more transparent if they are charged separately where relevant, and it helps those who are struggling to keep rates viable to put their point across to clients.

So in fact I would say it does matter whether you are working with direct clients or agencies.

If your client does the 'agency' work like DTP, and you deliver precisely the same product to a direct client as you would to an agency - simple translation with no frills - then fair enough if you also charge the same rate.

The trouble is that agencies then try to match this 'no frills' rate, and after subtracting their overheads, the rate they offer translators is artificially low.

Remember to add your own tax and overheads - you have to compare your rate with an employer's expenses, including insurance, pension schemes and subscriptions for this and that, NOT with an employee's take-home pay!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Average fee to direct clients in UK per source word

Advanced search

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search