Brazilian-English - Standard rates
Thread poster: donalr
donalr
Spain
Nov 11, 2013

Hello all,

A question I need an answer to please:

A translation provider in Spain has quoted me X cents per word for translations from Brazilian Portuguese to US English. I have a feeling they are going to subcontract the work to someone based in Brazil, pay them less per word, and make a nice profit by acting as an intermediary.

(I am talking about a huge, US-based multinational translation agency that many of you would be familiar with here, by the way.)

So I would appreciate it if anyone based in Brazil could tell me the approximate rate per word for Brazilian-US English translations, (for standard texts), and also, if they are familiar with this kind of practice or if I am letting my mind run away with itself...

Many thanks.

[Edited at 2013-11-12 14:29 GMT]

Direct link Reply with quote

Tim Friese  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 07:49
Member (2013)
Arabic to English
+ ...
This is the role of agencies Nov 12, 2013

donalr wrote:

Hello all,

A question I need an answer to please:

A translation provider in Spain has quoted me X cents per word for translations from Brazilian Portuguese to US English. I have a feeling they are going to subcontract the work to someone based in Brazil, pay them less per word, and make a nice profit by acting as an intermediary.

(I am talking about a huge, US-based multinational translation agency that many of you would be familiar with here, by the way.)

So I would appreciate it if anyone based in Brazil could tell me the approximate rate per word for Brazilian-US English translations, (for standard texts), and also, if they are familiar with this kind of practice or if I am letting my mind run away with itself...

Many thanks.

[Edited at 2013-11-12 14:29 GMT]

Subcontracting the work and then making a profit is in fact the work of agencies. This is what they do. They add value by having networks of translators ready at a moment's notice and (at the better agencies) having quality control procedures in place.

To respond to your question, yes it is very likely that your job will be done in Brazil but there's no real way to be sure. There are stories of agencies which claim to only use translators translating into their native languages but don't actually. If you would prefer to know who exactly is translating your docs, you can always hire a freelance translator directly.

As a last comment, don't discount the translation skills of all non-natives. I have seen excellent translations into English from non-native speakers. I think the quality of the finished document is the real test here.

Sheila Wilson  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 13:49
Member (2007)
English
+ ...
ProZ.com statistics Nov 12, 2013

It seems that there are 579 translators registered here who claim to have English as their (or a) native language, live in Brazil and translate from Portuguese. There must be many others who are not registered here.

philgoddard
United States
Member (2009)
German to English
+ ...
. Nov 12, 2013

Please consider cutting out the middleman. Some of the really big translation companies charge markups of 200% or more - they have to, to cover their huge overheads - and add very little value.

And Tim says don't discount the translation skills of all non-natives. He's right, there are always exceptions to the rule, but in your situation I would insist on an English-mother-tongue translator.

Why don't you tell us what price they're quoting you, and we'll tell you whether we think it's extortionate.

[Edited at 2013-11-12 18:15 GMT]

donalr
Spain
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks to all, and a follow-up, if I may... Nov 12, 2013

Hello everyone

Thanks for the input so far.

I absolutely agree about using target language natives, and abobut cutting out the middleman, but unfortunately I work for a global company and they want a single solution for 47 countries, if at all possible.

What opinions would you have regarding translating Castillian Spanish or US English to Brazilian Portuguese and appropriate rates for this work?

Could I get an agency (to compare apples with apples) in Brazil to do it cheaper than an agency in Europe would do it? I hear prices in Brazil for everything have gone through the roof lately...

Many thanks again.

xxxJohn Pringle  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 10:49
Portuguese to English
Translation rates in Brazil Feb 4, 2014

I do some translation in Brazil, both for an agency and direct with clients.

Agencies pay freelancers anything between BRL 0.12 and 0.18 (US$0.05 and 0.07).

If you deal directly with clients you can charge up to BRL 0.40 (US$0.17) but I would say the average is around BRL 0.30 (US$0.13).

I have seen in Brazil that you do get a lot of translations done by non-native speakers. The quality is not horrible and most of the time the texts make sense but there are a few giveaways that the work has not been done by a native speaker.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Brazilian-English - Standard rates

Advanced search

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search