working as a freelance translator and moving to eastern europe
Thread poster: Alexandre Doria

Alexandre Doria
Netherlands
Local time: 10:31
Portuguese to English
+ ...
Nov 13, 2013

I'm a newbie, my target language is PT-BR, and translation initially will be my second job. But in the long
run, if things get better, I was thinking of moving from where I am now to one of the "new" EU countries. I was wondering if anyone here is located in Poland, CR or Hungary for example and could advise on the tax issue in those countries.
To be entirely honest, if I make the move eastwards, I intend to find a part-time "first" job and continue having translation as my secondary source of income."

Thanks,

Alex

Direct link Reply with quote

EvaVer  Identity Verified
Member (2012)
Czech to English
+ ...
CZ Nov 13, 2013

Well, as to tax - you will have to pay income tax (15% at this time). For a translator, it is mostly worthwhile to use fixed-rate deductible expenses - the percentage has been changing lately from year to year, between 40-60%, it might end at 30%. You will also have to pay Social Security and Medical Insurance (2 separate systems). As your target language has little use locally, you will work for foreign clients - to do so within the EU, you will need to register as an "identified person" for VAT purposes - i.e., obtain a VAT number, and file VAT returns for your EU (non-CZ) business (but the VAT will be paid by your clients). There are 2 papers to fill in for a month with EU business - one online, but you must print out a confirmation paper, sign it and file it physically (if no e-signature), the other one is easier to file on paper if you have no e-signature (which might become compulsory soon anyway).
To start with, you will have to go to the "živnostenský úřad" to obtain a "živnostenský list" (trade licence). Then you must register with the Revenue, Social Security, a Medical Insurance company (there are several).
Good luck!

Alexandre Doria
Netherlands
Portuguese to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
great! Nov 13, 2013

Interesting, thanks! Especially being CR one of my favourite countries, together with Poland!

EvaVer  Identity Verified
Member (2012)
Czech to English
+ ...
Hm, except... Nov 15, 2013

that you might be rather cold here. The winters are long and harsh, and Poland will be worse. I would go for somewhere warmer, at least Hungary. Better: Bulgaria, but it might be too much of a cultural shock -:)

Alexandre Doria
Netherlands
Portuguese to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
. Nov 15, 2013

Eva, I am not the most typical Brazilian... people frequently ask me here "how come you left your "nice and warm" country to come to the Dutch cold and rain" and I reply that before the Netherlands, I've lived 10 years in Ireland
It's true, in Central/Eastern Europe, it's slightly colder than here, and that doesn't bother me at all.... actually, if I come to the point of having translation as a full time occupation, I might even go to Ukraine, instead... cheap, with good food and away from all the EU paranoia...

Jana Garnsworthy
Local time: 09:31
Czech to English
+ ...
Hi Alex, are you sure about this? Nov 26, 2013

I have told myself I will only go back to the Czech Republic if I don't have to earn my living there and battle with Czech bureaucracy. Being used to the simplicity of the British tax system I think I'd go mad over there... I think it must be the legacy of the communist regime... Good luck to you Alex

M. Anna Kańduła  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 09:31
English to Polish
Language Nov 26, 2013

Do you speak or plan to learn any of the Eastern European languages? Don't assume they all speak English there. Without knowing the local language - at least to some degree - it could be difficult. Especially when facing the mentioned bureaucracy.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

working as a freelance translator and moving to eastern europe

Advanced search

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »
SDL MultiTerm 2017
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software by the industry leaders.

SDL MultiTerm 2017 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2017 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search