Per-word pricing for non-continuous text
Thread poster: Łukasz Gos-Furmankiewicz

Łukasz Gos-Furmankiewicz  Identity Verified
Poland
Local time: 14:24
English to Polish
+ ...
Nov 15, 2013

How does one arrive at a sensible per-word rate for what's essentially a list of stuff spanning over 15K segments in Trados (>50K words)?

Per-hour probably ain't gonna fly in this case, so I need to base it on the quantity of text. That's actually likely to be more fair on the client, as I expect partial matches to weigh in heavily at some point, except I can't assess how much. Experience teaches my speed drops in half when the text is not continuous, although it depends a lot on the specifics of a job, which suggests a special per-word rate would be necessary. Perhaps not double but at least half again the normal rate. I'm still concerned, though.

I've never handled this much non-continuous text under a single order, so I'm worried, as the potential for misestimating my expected work time is quite large and the consequences can be rather significant, as in I have no idea whether I'll complete the thing in one week or six. I just can't tell.

What do you do in situations like this?

Phil Hand  Identity Verified
China
Local time: 20:24
Chinese to English
Don't know, but I'm in the same boat Nov 15, 2013

I just had one of my first big software translation jobs, and it was much slower than continuous text jobs. (Also impossible because I wasn't given proper context, but that's another issue.) I haven't solved this yet, but I'm thinking, like you, that some sort of premium will be necessary.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Per-word pricing for non-continuous text

Advanced search

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search