Veronique Cubilie-Ratio  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 06:37
Member (2012)
French to English
+ ...
Nov 27, 2013

Dear Fellow translators,

I was wondering if you could enlighten me about your own practices in terms of quoting an urgency rate for a direct client. What would be the additional percentage you would apply to your usual rates?

Thank you for your replies.

Have a good day!

[Edited at 2013-11-27 11:36 GMT]

Tatiana Grehan  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 01:37
English to Russian
+ ...
15-20% Nov 27, 2013

I believe that 15-20% surcharge for urgency is fair.

Robert Forstag  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 01:37
Member (2003)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Depends on the level of urgency Nov 27, 2013

What constitutes a "fair rate" for a rush job really depends on how much "rush" will be required on your part to complete the work. Thus, a demanded turnaround of 500 words of easy text within 3 hours would have to be evaluated differently from, say, a demanded turnaround of 3 days of 15,000 words of rather difficult text involving considerable looking up and research. Also to be considered is whether late night and weekend work will be required for completion of a given job.

In the end, though, the fees you charge for a rush job will probably be determined by your need for the money at the time such an offer arrives. Another way of saying this is that the more you can afford to walk away from a job, the more you can afford to charge for it--and vice versa.

One tip regarding a rush job: When the offer comes in, if you quote a price, then you need to demand a response within a very short time as to acceptance or rejection (making it very clear that you will not be available beyond said time limit).

If you don't do this, then you are in essence offering yourself as a free "insurance policy" for completion of the job (i.e., with your offer in hand, the project manager can then proceed to secure a cheaper offer, resulting in your never hearing from her again, or in your getting an e-mail some hours later notifying you that "the project was cancelled").

[Edited at 2013-11-27 15:15 GMT]

Veronique Cubilie-Ratio  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 06:37
Member (2012)
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
thank you! Nov 27, 2013

To Tatiana - thank you for your prompt reply. This gives me an indication on which to base my answer to the client.

Robert - all the points you're making are valid points and I think that these considerations should come into play when faced with a particular job and in specific circumstances at the time the situation arises. However, on this occasion, I have been asked to quote my rates and the client would like to know what terms/conditions I can offer.

Thanks to you both, your comments were very helpful in any case.

Veronique

Łukasz Gos-Furmankiewicz  Identity Verified
Poland
Local time: 07:37
English to Polish
+ ...
Depends on the base rate Nov 27, 2013

The higher it is, the less need for urgency surcharges.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Urgency rates for translation quote

Advanced search

WordFinder Unlimited
For clarity and excellence

WordFinder is the leading dictionary service that gives you the words you want anywhere, anytime. Access 260+ dictionaries from the world's leading dictionary publishers in virtually any device. Find the right word anywhere, anytime - online or offline.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search