Pages in topic:   [1 2] >
example of a ridiculous job posting (unreasonable request)
Thread poster: Lota

Lota
United States
Local time: 01:58
Member (2007)
English to Polish
+ ...
Oct 28, 2004

First I will quote the job posting:

"Job type: Translation

Languages: English>German, English>Dutch, English>Polish, English>Russian

Job description:
Hi.

I've got 40 words I need translated - on the subject of grills (like what you use to cook with). I have a large manual that I can provide as backup material, if necessary.

Need it done as soon as possible, please.

Please bid via ProZ.com. Bids via email will be erased. I would appreciate if you would take into consideration the length of this project when you bid.

Thanks.

Volume and pricing: 40 words
Payment: Payment via check in US$ or Paypal.

Requirements:
Expertise: Other, Marketing
Delivery deadline: 9:00am Oct 29, 2004
Additional requirements: Payment will be issued only after translator fills out, signs, and returns standard subcontractor agreement, NDA, and W-9, if appropriate. "

The poster asks to take into consideration "the length of this project" when bidding. I am compelled to reason that she wants people to bid low.
If someone posts a job of 80,000 words, they also want us to bid low because of "the length of this project". While the latter makes perfect business sense to me (discount on volume), I do not understand the reasoning of this poster.
To get it off my chest, I find it absolutely ridiculous.

Thank you

Direct link

Andrea Appel
Canada
Local time: 04:58
English to German
+ ...
I do not believe you in fact! Oct 28, 2004

Hello Lota,

this is not an unusual request at all and there is nothing wrong with it. This lady supplies us with jobs all the time plus has an excellent reputation. What would you do if you had 40 words to translate get a machine translation?

Direct link

Lota
United States
Member (2007)
English to Polish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
do not understand your heading... Oct 28, 2004

what do you mean "I do not believe you in fact?" Do you mean that there was no posting like this? What fact are you disputing?
As for the ridiculousness of it, you are entitled to your opinion. If I had 40 words to be translated, I would post it and open it for people to bid on. Some would bid low, some high, just like it is in every auction-style setting. And then, I would make my decision.

But to request that people bid low, because the job is so small... it just seems unreasonable to me GIVEN THAT the very same request is made when people post large translation jobs.

I just can't get my head around this. The practice described by the latter case is a standard business practice: you buy in volume, you pay less, also the 2 for 1 pizza principle.

So I am not sure what you don't believe. I am not sure my posting was intended to invoke people's beliefs. Opinions, yes. Beliefs, not.

Thank you.

Lota

Direct link

Sandra Alboum  Identity Verified
United States
Member (2003)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Thank you for your comment Oct 28, 2004

"The poster asks to take into consideration "the length of this project" when bidding. I am compelled to reason that she wants people to bid low.
If someone posts a job of 80,000 words, they also want us to bid low because of "the length of this project". While the latter makes perfect business sense to me (discount on volume), I do not understand the reasoning of this poster.
To get it off my chest, I find it absolutely ridiculous."

Hello, Lota. Thanks for commenting on my posting. In short, I'd like to explain why I put "please keep the length of this project in mind when you bid".

I'm not sure you've ever posted anything up on ProZ.com, but bids tend to run the gammut, from those who want to do it for a penny a word (flee!) to those who want $1/word (flee the other way!). Neither price works for me, because I've got a set budget I'm willing to spend.

Most people who have bid on this job have bid reasonably, but to give you an example, I received one bid from a gentleman who wanted $100, "no less", for the 40 words. While I am all in favor a making what you need to live, this was ridiculous. He obviously did not read the listing. I knew something like this would happen, which is precisely why I put that wording.

I appreciate our colleague's note above, here, in my support. If you look at the Blue Board, you will certainly note that I have a large fan club. While this does not "prove" anything, it does show that those who have had the opportunity to work with me appreciate my professional treatment of them as well as prompt payment.

So, if you would like to bid on this job, feel free. I have not yet assigned the Polish, though while I've been writing this message, 8 more email bids have come in. I do have to return to my Outlook or I will soon drown in offers.

Best regards,
Sandra

Direct link

shfranke  Identity Verified
United States
English to Arabic
+ ...
Agree with Andrea's good comment Oct 28, 2004

Greetings.

I agree with Andrea's good comment.

That ad, as posted, appears to be a sound and straightforward business proposal. The requirement to execute and return a NDA, along with the other cited instruments, is customary to practitioners in the language services industry.

HTH.

Regards,

Stephen H. Franke
(English Arabic,
Kurdish, and Farsi)
San Pedro, California

Direct link

Poul Moller
Local time: 10:58
English to Danish
+ ...
Translation done Oct 28, 2004

While you guys have been discussing so much, I've simply done the Danish translation for Sandra - for free as I usually do when people needs just a bit of help. I am no saint for that matter - I just think it's nice to be nice when you have a small opportunity.

Have a nice evening or whatever you have have where you are:)
Poul

Direct link

Lota
United States
Member (2007)
English to Polish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
my last two cents Oct 28, 2004

I have also done work for free, and I am no saint, either.
Nobody, including the poster, answered my query directly. I did not demand that the posting not be posted, not that the poster was not entitled to do as she wished. I have not questioned her integrity, her professionalism etc. So let us not go there.

Please read my original post carefully and even though I appreciate that you may not agree with me, at least try to provide me with your thoughts on the subject of this posting only. Not on Sandra, not on minimal rates. I did not question these matters. Please, if you are inclined to write, please focus on the topic of my posting.

Thank you again.

Lota

Direct link

Tamara Zahran  Identity Verified
Local time: 11:58
English to Arabic
Agree Oct 28, 2004

Poul Moller wrote:

While you guys have been discussing so much, I've simply done the Danish translation for Sandra - for free as I usually do when people needs just a bit of help. I am no saint for that matter - I just think it's nice to be nice when you have a small opportunity.

Have a nice evening or whatever you have have where you are:)
Poul

I don't see anything wrong in posting such a job, I've done several, even smaller jobs for some agencies and also for free. It doesn't cause me any harm to do so, and it solves somebody's problem. So, Why not!

Direct link

Fiona Grace Peterson  Identity Verified
Italy
Italian to English
Professionalism Oct 28, 2004

Sandra Alboum wrote:

"If you look at the Blue Board, you will certainly note that I have a large fan club....

...while I've been writing this message, 8 more email bids have come in. I do have to return to my Outlook or I will soon drown in offers.

I think it is a pity that the poster felt she had to respond in such a sarcastic tone on what is supposed to be a professional forum.

Peace to all!

Direct link

Sandra Alboum  Identity Verified
United States
Member (2003)
Spanish to English
+ ...
I must have come across wrong. Oct 28, 2004

"I think it is a pity that the poster felt she had to respond in such a sarcastic tone on what is supposed to be a professional forum."

Hi.

I'm sorry, it must have come across wrong. Didn't mean to be sarcastic in the least.

Apologies, all.
Sandra

Direct link

Poul Moller
English to Danish
+ ...
For Tayfun Oct 28, 2004

About free translations.
I just want you to know that in this case my free translation was done on top of a 14 hours (paid) working day of translation.
And even if someone else try get bread on their tables, I wouldn't worry too much.
Poul

Direct link

Andrea Appel
Canada
English to German
+ ...
being peaceful Oct 28, 2004

astrakhan wrote:

Sandra Alboum wrote:

"If you look at the Blue Board, you will certainly note that I have a large fan club....

...while I've been writing this message, 8 more email bids have come in. I do have to return to my Outlook or I will soon drown in offers.

I think it is a pity that the poster felt she had to respond in such a sarcastic tone on what is supposed to be a professional forum.

Peace to all!

Peace to all?? Poster responds sarcastic? What the heck??

I think there is more behind all this. The lady is extremely successful which could be hard to swallow for some people.

I mean do you really think she should not have pointed out that people like her after she is getting insulted in the same spot where she provides work for people?

Not with one word has the poster insulted anybody, if there is anybody who acts unprofessional it is probably me Im not allowed to write otherwise.

Andrea

Direct link

Andrea Appel
Canada
English to German
+ ...
Dictionary Oct 28, 2004

Lota wrote:

what do you mean "I do not believe you in fact?" Do you mean that there was no posting like this? What fact are you disputing?
As for the ridiculousness of it, you are entitled to your opinion. If I had 40 words to be translated, I would post it and open it for people to bid on. Some would bid low, some high, just like it is in every auction-style setting. And then, I would make my decision.

But to request that people bid low, because the job is so small... it just seems unreasonable to me GIVEN THAT the very same request is made when people post large translation jobs.

I just can't get my head around this. The practice described by the latter case is a standard business practice: you buy in volume, you pay less, also the 2 for 1 pizza principle.

So I am not sure what you don't believe. I am not sure my posting was intended to invoke people's beliefs. Opinions, yes. Beliefs, not.

Thank you.

Lota

Please refer to any dictionary for the meaning of my topic. I can give you a couple of hints:
1. I think the same about you what you think about me
2. I do not agree with you

Sorry for this misunderstanding but my opinion is .... ... ... . .....

Oh I like your endings by the way
Thank you, thank you for what? Probably for taking time to read this (you are allowed to put your own word there)

Direct link

Andrea Appel
Canada
English to German
+ ...
Provide you with thoughts- Oct 28, 2004

Lota wrote:

I have also done work for free, and I am no saint, either.
Nobody, including the poster, answered my query directly. I did not demand that the posting not be posted, not that the poster was not entitled to do as she wished. I have not questioned her integrity, her professionalism etc. So let us not go there.

Please read my original post carefully and even though I appreciate that you may not agree with me, at least try to provide me with your thoughts on the subject of this posting only. Not on Sandra, not on minimal rates. I did not question these matters. Please, if you are inclined to write, please focus on the topic of my posting.

Thank you again.

Lota

Thoughts on this subjects are not allowed to be posted

Direct link

Poul Moller
English to Danish
+ ...
The last word Oct 28, 2004

Funny how egoes can battle to get the last word.
I've got it right now - but if any one else needs it more, don't hesitate...

But if YOU get the last word, make sure it's a good one, OK?

Direct link

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

example of a ridiculous job posting (unreasonable request)

Advanced search

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »
PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search