Receiving payment in Brazil, US-UK bank accounts, Paypal, bank transfer, IBAN number, etc....
Thread poster: Claudio Chagas
Claudio Chagas
Brazil
Local time: 15:24
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Nov 1, 2004

Hello,

I live in Brazil, but have a bank account in the UK with HSBC, and am able to withdraw money at Maestro and Cirrus enabled cash machines in Brazil. My question with regards to Paypal, is that if it is possible to transfer the funds from a Paypal account to my UK bank account. Are there any extra charges involved than with a regular US bank account?

Supposing I have a client within the EU, I would assume that a bank transfer would be a more straightforward process than using Paypal. Is that so?

I've also read that for a cross-border transfer between EU countries I need to provide the payer with my bank account's IBAN number and SWIFT (or BIC) code, in order for not to be charged more for a bank transfer within the EU than they would for a transfer to another bank in the their own country.

My bank gave me a SWIFT code but I don't know what their IBAN number is. Is this something I should ask my bank in the UK?

If any of you have experienced a similar situation and can offer some advice I'd be very appreciative.

Many thanks,

Claudio

[Edited at 2006-05-01 15:54]

Direct link Reply with quote

skport  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 14:24
Portuguese to English
+ ...
It is straightforward Nov 1, 2004

Hi Claudio,

All you need to do is ask your UK bank to tell you the IBAN code for your account, then you tell the person who is doing the transfer, alsong with the swift code.
UK banks usually make a small charge to accept a transfer from a euro account. The charge depends on the amount being transfered.

To transfer funds from paypal to a UK bank account is straightforward if you open a paypal account with paypal Europe. Have a look at the paypal UK homepage:

https://www.paypal.com/uk/

This would be a separate account to your US account. I think it is free if you transfer over £50.00 (not certain about the amount).

In answer to your last question, re whether clients in Europe prefer bank transfers or paypal. it depends on the client, but in my experience EU translation agencies usually do prefer bank transfers. i have never had any problem with this, and they also usually agree to add my bank's charges on to my final invoice.

All the best.

Claudio Chagas wrote:

Hello,

I live in Brazil, but have a bank account in the UK with HSBC, and am able to withdraw money at Maestro and Cirrus enabled cash machines in Brazil. My question with regards to Paypal, is that if it is possible to transfer the funds from a Paypal account to my UK bank account. Are there any extra charges involved than with a regular US bank account?

Supposing I have a client within the EU, I would assume that a bank transfer would be a more straightforward process than using Paypal. Is that so?

I've also read that for a cross-border transfer between EU countries I need to provide the payer with my bank account's IBAN number and SWIFT (or BIC) code, in order for not to be charged more for a bank transfer within the EU than they would for a transfer to another bank in the their own country.

My bank gave me a SWIFT code but I don't know what their IBAN number is. Is this something I should ask my bank in the UK?

If any of you have experienced a similar situation and can offer some advice I'd be very appreciative.

Many thanks,

Claudio

[Edited at 2004-11-01 10:52]

Claudio Chagas
Brazil
Local time: 15:24
English to Portuguese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Crystal clear! Nov 1, 2004

Thanks Sarah!

Your answer was spot on.

I appreciate your knowledgeable advice very much.

Best to everything,

Claudio

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Receiving payment in Brazil, US-UK bank accounts, Paypal, bank transfer, IBAN number, etc....

Advanced search

Across v6.3
Translation Toolkit and Sales Potential under One Roof

Apart from features that enable you to translate more efficiently, the new Across Translator Edition v6.3 comprises your crossMarket membership. The new online network for Across users assists you in exploring new sales potential and generating revenue.

More info »
PDF Translation - the Easy Way
TransPDF converts your PDFs to XLIFF ready for professional translation.

TransPDF converts your PDFs to XLIFF ready for professional translation. It also puts your translations back into the PDF to make new PDFs. Quicker and more accurate than hand-editing PDF. Includes free use of Infix PDF Editor with your translated PDFs.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search