Thread poster: Sylvia Hernandez

Sylvia Hernandez  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 04:58
English to Spanish
Jan 15, 2014

Hello fellow translators,

I almost fell for this trap.

First I would like to warn any of you of a DAVID BENSON who might solicit your business, he is trying to conduct fraudulent activity.

I guess this post goes more towards the newer translators or if you have recently moved to the US, unfortunately. This had never happened to me in the past 10 years of translating (part time, maybe that's why), and I have great clients, very trustworthy.

The red flag came up to me once he told me he could only pay with a Cashier's Check but I wanted to give him the benefit of the doubt since I had only read about it online and did not know of anyone personally with this bad experience. Now I know for sure it is true.

He pulled the old trick in the book sending me today a check for greater the amount ($1300) of a very small translation ($250).

Here is his 'excuse":

Hello Sylvie,
[...] I want to apologize for the mix up in the amount sent to you as my client sent you above the amount agreed with me.I ask for the deposit of the translation be sent to you and the rest to the person who would help me do the printing of the translated work.He has to get some materials ready for the printing that is what the money is for.I want you to deposit the check, Then deduct the total funds for the translation as originally agreed and then kindly help me send the rest to this person via WESTERN UNION as soon as possible so he could start work too.I want you to deduct the Western Union charges from the balance.

NAME :- JAMES EVANS

CITY :- Rowland

STATE :-NC

Zip Code:- 28383

I'm so mad, but I am glad I 'caught it on the air' and did NOT go ahead and cash it, thank God!

Cashier's Checks are THE DEVIL! I will strictly stick to PayPal from now on.

Direct link Reply with quote

Sheila Wilson  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 12:58
Member (2007)
English
+ ...
please report it Jan 16, 2014

Sorry to hear about. And I'm glad you didn't go ahead and cash it as that is seen as illegal activity in some places.

Please report this to the ProZ.com Scam Alert Centre and I sugggest yyou, and everyone else, sign up for regular updates of what these people are up to. Sorry, I don't have the link to hand (sending from my phone).

Sylvia Hernandez  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 04:58
English to Spanish
TOPIC STARTER
Alright! Jan 17, 2014

Thank you Sheila!

I sure will

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

CASHIER'S CHECK FRAUD-DAVID BENSON

Advanced search

memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search