How to charge for summary writing
Thread poster: Danae Seemann

Danae Seemann  Identity Verified
Greece
Local time: 19:55
Member (2010)
Greek to English
Jan 16, 2014

How would one go about figuring out what to charge for reading a bunch of articles in one language and writing a summary in another language? It's not really translation, and it's not really copy writing. Would you charge by original volume? target volume? time taken?

Any input appreciated.

Direct link Reply with quote

Carolyn Yohn  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 09:55
French to English
+ ...
By the page or by the hour Jan 16, 2014

That sounds like gist translation to me. I've done quotes two ways for that:

For a long-term, large-volume project, I'd suggest charging by the hour. It's really helpful for budgeting your time, and the client can put a cap on how much you do over a certain period to help with the money budget.

For a short-term project, or if the client wants a firm quote, I'd charge by the source page, since it's an easy number to calculate before you start working.

Danae Seemann  Identity Verified
Greece
Local time: 19:55
Member (2010)
Greek to English
TOPIC STARTER
Sounds reasonable Jan 16, 2014

Thanks, Carolyn. That makes perfect sense. Sounds like more negotiating is needed to figure out exactly what the client wants/expects.

Thanks for responding.

IrimiConsulting  Identity Verified
Sweden
Local time: 18:55
Member (2006)
English to Swedish
+ ...
Chiming in Jan 23, 2014

An hourly rate makes the most sense. It's always nice if you can provide a rough estimate to the client. After a few similar projects your estimates will have improved.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How to charge for summary writing

Advanced search

Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »
SDL MultiTerm 2017
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software by the industry leaders.

SDL MultiTerm 2017 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2017 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search