Robin Dufaye
Robin Dufaye  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 15:14
Spanish to French
+ ...
Jan 17, 2014

Dear all,

I am working on a project, when I was talking about rates a,d deadline wih my client, in my opinion, he made a strange formulation and I would like to know what does mean exactly "please invoice not before 2 weeks after delivery with minimal due 2 weeks" ?
Why do my client want an invoice after 2 weeks? with "minimal due" means I won' be paid before two weeks, that is ok, but does not explain when I will be paid. Am I right?
I am not English native, thank for y
... See more
Dear all,

I am working on a project, when I was talking about rates a,d deadline wih my client, in my opinion, he made a strange formulation and I would like to know what does mean exactly "please invoice not before 2 weeks after delivery with minimal due 2 weeks" ?
Why do my client want an invoice after 2 weeks? with "minimal due" means I won' be paid before two weeks, that is ok, but does not explain when I will be paid. Am I right?
I am not English native, thank for your help!
Regards
Collapse

Morano El-Kholy
Morano El-Kholy  Identity Verified
Egypt
Local time: 16:14
Member (2011)
English to Arabic
+ ...
More clarification. Jan 17, 2014

Dear Robin, you should ask your client for more clarification.

Hope this helps

Russell Jones
Russell Jones  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 14:14
Italian to English
My take Jan 17, 2014

In my language pair, it is normal for agencies to specify when invoices are to be submitted (typically the end of the month after delivery of the translation).

Although this is not phrased in good English, I believe it means that payment will not be made earlier than 28 days after delivery of the translation.

If so, it does at least accept that the translator can specify payment terms to some extent - and if the client actually pays inside 30 days, then there are not re
... See more
In my language pair, it is normal for agencies to specify when invoices are to be submitted (typically the end of the month after delivery of the translation).

Although this is not phrased in good English, I believe it means that payment will not be made earlier than 28 days after delivery of the translation.

If so, it does at least accept that the translator can specify payment terms to some extent - and if the client actually pays inside 30 days, then there are not really any grounds for complaint.
Collapse

Kirsten Bodart
Kirsten Bodart  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 15:14
Dutch to English
+ ...
In Germany Jan 19, 2014

some tradespeople still ask you to pay 2 weeks after invoice date. In some cases a (small) reduction applies if you pay within 1 week. I suppose in other countries, such practices exist as well.
Maybe your client is assuming you will issue an invoice for immediate payment immediately. He may just have wanted to specify his payment terms are 30 days after delivery. You can either ask for clarification or state that you won't require immediate payment.
Or maybe it's something to do wit
... See more
some tradespeople still ask you to pay 2 weeks after invoice date. In some cases a (small) reduction applies if you pay within 1 week. I suppose in other countries, such practices exist as well.
Maybe your client is assuming you will issue an invoice for immediate payment immediately. He may just have wanted to specify his payment terms are 30 days after delivery. You can either ask for clarification or state that you won't require immediate payment.
Or maybe it's something to do with the accounting system in his country (end or beginning of the month/quarter). I don't know when ths issue cropped up, but we've had requests like that too. Otherwise the client's or the client's client's tax office is upset for some reason...
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

a little explnation would be welcome

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »