How to work with agencies outside the U.S.
Thread poster: Maria Diaz

Maria Diaz
United States
Local time: 14:49
English to Spanish
Nov 3, 2004

Hi, What needs to be considered when doing business with agencies outside the US?
1) Payment - taxes that apply? Currency conversion?
2) Rules/Laws that apply
3) Others?

Thank you

Direct link Reply with quote

A Hayes
Australia
Local time: 07:49
Hi Nov 4, 2004

Maria Diaz wrote:

Hi, What needs to be considered when doing business with agencies outside the US?
1) Payment - taxes that apply? Currency conversion?
2) Rules/Laws that apply
3) Others?

Thank you

the more you take into account the better. As for currency, it's a good idea to have a currency converter on yr website. your visitors/potential clients will appreciate this.

HTH

abh
www.translationsanh.com

[Edited at 2004-11-04 01:57]

Maria Diaz
United States
Local time: 14:49
English to Spanish
TOPIC STARTER
More specific, please Nov 4, 2004

I have no idea where to start, could you please give me more specific advise? Like:
- Do I have to pay taxes or anything else in the country where the agency is located?
- Do I need a permit or registration, or comply with anything in order to do business with them?
- Will they pay me in USD or their currency?
- What would be the best method for accepting payment: paypal, check, other? Do I have to open a bank account in their country?

I guess each country will be different, but any tip is welcomed!

Williamson  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 22:49
Flemish to English
+ ...
An attempt to answer your question Nov 4, 2004

[quote]Maria Diaz wrote:

I have no idea where to start, could you please give me more specific advise? Like:
- Do I have to pay taxes or anything else in the country where the agency is located?

If you export a service from the USA-->outside the US, you do not have to pay taxes in the country where the agency is located.

- Do I need a permit or registration, or comply with anything in order to do business with them?

- Will they pay me in USD or their currency?
Their currency. Why worry. If that currency is euro, you stand to gain (1 euro=about $1.30).

- What would be the best method for accepting payment: paypal, check, other? Do I have to open a bank account in their country?

- Paypal can be expensive if they enforce a premier account. That happens when somebody pays by credit-card. Moneybookers.com is cheaper.

Tip: Years ago, I attended a course of international trade? Very useful, indeed. Got a profound explanation of VAT, import-export rules, marketing, means of shipping and payment etc...

[Edited at 2004-11-08 09:16]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How to work with agencies outside the U.S.

Advanced search

Across v6.3
Translation Toolkit and Sales Potential under One Roof

Apart from features that enable you to translate more efficiently, the new Across Translator Edition v6.3 comprises your crossMarket membership. The new online network for Across users assists you in exploring new sales potential and generating revenue.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search