Translators on Fiverr - 1000 words for as low as $5.00 ?????
Thread poster: LegalTransform

LegalTransform  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 23:39
Member (2002)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Jan 24, 2014

The first guy is a scam, but hard to believe that there are so many people willing to work so hard for so little. It boggles the mind.

One example:
http://fiverr.com/gswriting/translate-from-any-language-up-to-300-words-into-american-english

3,000 + more:
http://fiverr.com/gigs/search?utf8=✓&search_in=everywhere&query=translation&x=0&y=0&jls_se99912_1_auto=3

[Edited at 2014-01-24 22:43 GMT]

Direct link Reply with quote

Paulinho Fonseca  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 00:39
Member (2011)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Translators on Fiverr - 1000 words for as low as $5.00 ????? Jan 24, 2014

What to say?

The thing is that these people are not really into the career thing. Most cases they are trying to find a way to make money, and later on they'll give up.

I don't believe a specialized professional would work for such amount.

Hopefully, serious companies would never send their jobs.

Ana Naglić  Identity Verified
Croatia
Local time: 05:39
Member (2005)
English to Croatian
+ ...
Nah.... Jan 25, 2014

Professionals who pay taxes and invest in themselves can never afford to work for peanuts.

United States
Member (2002)
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
True. Jan 25, 2014

I have been working on a very difficult 3,000-word project for the past three days and I cannot imagine doing all this for just $20.00.

Ana Naglić wrote:

Professionals who pay taxes and invest in themselves can never afford to work for peanuts.

LilianNekipelov  Identity Verified
United States
Russian to English
+ ...
Translators on Fiverr - 1000 words for as low as $5.00 ????? Jan 25, 2014

It is a "Money for Nothing--Sex for Free" type of thing. They probably put it through Google, collect their $5 and disappear.

José Henrique Lamensdorf  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 00:39
English to Portuguese
+ ...
PEMT Jan 25, 2014

There is a new trend advocating for PEMT (post-editing machine translation). Some "trenzlaters" just luv it: they get 1~2¢ per word to shove it through GT, and quickly touch up the resulting text so it resembles human writing.

I had a taste of it. Got hired to translate some highly technical safe operation manuals related to offshore oil platforms. The client was nice, provided me with a pack of similar translated materials for reference they had received from the end-client. I just had to glimpse at one page to quickly realize that it had obviously been PEMTed.

The automatic translation engine had misinterpreted most of the safety instructions, turning them the other way around. The PEMTed manual was a major hazard on its own, as it sounded written by humans. Every engineer there should pray that no operator ever read those translations.

When news shows us pictures of dead fish, birds, penguins, whatever on a beach blackened by an oil spill, we think it was merely "unfortunate". It was not unfortunate, but almost deliberate. The problem is that after such a long time, it becomes hard to pinpoint who decided to save money on safety instructions translation.

Muhammad Abbas Saqib
Pakistan
Local time: 08:39
English to Urdu
+ ...
There are places where it is hard to get even $5 for 1000W!!! Jan 25, 2014

Well, I have 23 years experience but if I get offer at this rate from local market, I will be obliged because situation is far then miserable.

United States
Member (2002)
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
The problem is not the technology, but the way it is being used Jan 25, 2014

As I've said before, a lot of people will probably die or get seriously injured before the public wakes up.

The problem with some of these cheap MT editors is that (like some editors of human translation) they just read along until they find something that doesn't make sense and then they change it. If it makes sense, they do not even bother to read the source text (they are not paid enough to care).

Anyone who has closely examined MT output will know that sometimes the translation can be something completely different or even 100% opposite of what the source text says.

When there is a major accident and the MT translated manual, document or interoffice memorandum is found to be the culprit, do you honestly think the lawyers won't at least attempt to go after the translation agency who sold them on the idea of using post-editing? It will unfortunately take this kind of media attention for people to wake up and realize the potential hazards of this system - not its existence, but the way it is being used.

Post-editing MT should cost at least the same as regular human translation. Customers and agencies think that these people are carefully reading the source text and checking the translation, but they are not because they are not being paid enough or given enough time. Customers think they are getting a human revised translation at a fraction of the price, but all they are getting is garbage with a red ribbon wrapped around it.

Even governments fall for it: http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/compost/wp/2014/01/13/spanish-version-of-healthcare-gov-apparently-used-computer-translation/?hpid=z3

[Edited at 2014-01-25 16:52 GMT]

Post removed: This post was hidden by a moderator or staff member for the following reason: Empty post

Peter Simon  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2013)
English to Hungarian
+ ...
completely true Jan 25, 2014

Jeff Whittaker wrote:

"Anyone who has closely examined MT output will know that sometimes the translation can be something completely different or even 100% opposite of what the source text says."

Very true! When I translate with Trados, it often gives me the Hungarian equivalent of 'no' at places where there is no negative at all. So, the opposite of the original would be the result if I don't look out. A small addition to the 'dangerous' label ... and a bit about what I think about the Global service of Trados ...

Anna Grabowska
United Kingdom
Local time: 04:39
English to Polish
+ ...
Actually even less.... Jan 25, 2014

And then, when you consider that Fiverr charges 20% commission, you will realise that they actually are willing to translate up to 1000 words for $4! Bonkers indeed.....

Kuochoe Nikoi  Identity Verified
Ghana
Local time: 03:39
Japanese to English
Please don't Jan 25, 2014

Muhammad Abbas Saqib wrote:

Well, I have 23 years experience but if I get offer at this rate from local market, I will be obliged because situation is far then miserable.

You'd be better off getting an office job instead. At least then you can still cling to some self-respect. I won't lie; I've accepted some abysmal rates before, but this is just ridiculous.

Thayenga  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2009)
English to German
+ ...
Any language? Jan 26, 2014

Aside from the fact that the first link is a scam, and the second one hold a slight air of desperation, I am tempted to send him a text in Haudenosaunee to see the result. I'd even pay USD 5.00 upon delivery of a flawless translation. If only I had the time for it.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Translators on Fiverr - 1000 words for as low as $5.00 ?????

Advanced search

LSP.expert
You’re a freelance translator? LSP.expert helps you manage your daily translation jobs. It’s easy, fast and secure.

How about you start tracking translation jobs and sending invoices in minutes? You can also manage your clients and generate reports about your business activities. So you always keep a clear view on your planning, AND you get a free 30 day trial period!

More info »
memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search