Thanks in advance

Charlotte Farrell  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 02:52
Member (2013)
German to English
+ ...
Refers to CAT tools and repetitions Jan 25, 2014

If you don't use CAT tools, then you should refuse this. If you do, then it means words in sentences that are not found repeated elsewhere in the text. E.g. if you had the six word sentence 'The cat sat on the mat' appearing ten times in the text, you would only get paid for six words, not sixty. You would still get paid for every other occurrence of 'the', 'cat', 'sat', 'on' and 'mat', but not ones in identical sentences. This is based on the translation memory automatically filling in repeated sentences, meaning that there is no extra effort on your part.

On another note, 0.08 USD is not a great rate per word anyway so I wouldn't be too keen on this offer unless it's something you can get through quickly and easily.

LilianNekipelov  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 21:52
Russian to English
+ ...
How much do they pay for spaces? Jan 25, 2014

Alfred Kohler wrote:

I have an offer to translate for "USD 0.8 for new words!"
I don't understand.

Can somebody help me out here.

If every word, which is more than once in the content, is not paid,
the job is not worth thinking about.

Thanks in advance

Just reject it--it is totally absurd. You cannot translate words in a narrative without translating the whole sentences. Of course you could maybe, but then you would be more of a lexicographer, who charges a few dollars per word, at least.

Sheila Wilson  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 02:52
Member (2007)
English
+ ...
Lilian, you don't have to take it literally Jan 25, 2014

LilianBNekipelo wrote:
You cannot translate words in a narrative without translating the whole sentences.

I'm sure you know how CAT tools work and what "new words" mean; and they don't mean taking words in isolation.

Charlottes's reply explains what's meant by "new words". What the Asker hasn't told us, perhaps because the agency hasn't informed him, is what they intend paying for those 100% matches/repetitions (if anything), and what they intend paying for "fuzzy" matches. For example, how much would they pay for "I sat on the mat with the cat"? The tool would offer up "the cat sat on the mat" as a translation needing minor tweaking - worth something, but not USD 0.64. When you bear in mind that CATs can be translation tools, mat can be a verb, and sat can be used with nav as a noun, you can start to see how much work might be involved in fixing what the CAT tool sees as a close match.

@Alfred: As Charlotte says, this job isn't for you if you don't use a CAT tool. It also isn't for you if your normal per-word rate is USD 0.8 or over. If your rate is USD 0.06, then you might find it worthwhile. You need to know how many repetitions and exact or fuzzy matches there are.

You also need to know what the agency is matching with - if their TM (translation memory) is full of machine translated segments (aka Google Translate rubbish), then you'll probably end up actually spending rather longer fixing it than translating everything from scratch.

Kirsten Bodart  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 03:52
Dutch to English
+ ...
reps Jan 26, 2014

Charging only for new words isn't a problem (even if you have no CATs) unless you've got 2,000 new words and 5,000 reps/matches. The problem in that case is that your job, even if you could keep track of the reps, will take considerably longer to do than your client estimates.

That said, I don't think it's fair not paying for 100% matches/reps, because you still have to read them. I always point out that they need to fit into the text. If the client doesn't want to pay for them, they won't be read and I can't guarantee their quality. So-called fuzzy matches are a complete joke sometimes. Fuzzy matches involving whole sentences will be a 'spot the difference competition' (and depending on your language pair, these sentences will not always be constructed in the same way, so they may take longer than going from scratch) and those involving just titles or items in a list (few words) will be a shambles in all likelihood. To carry on the cat example: the title 'cats and dogs' would be offered for 'cats and mice' and would be a 70-odd % match, I think. There is a reasonable amount to change still. If you've got a termbase, you'll be quicker typing the thing from scratch than actually having to get your cursor to the right spot, then delete 'dogs' and then type 'mice'.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Meaning of "new words"

Advanced search

Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »
PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search