paypal income and UK tax self-assessment
Thread poster: sheekim
sheekim  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 08:03
English to Korean
Jan 27, 2014

Hi, I'm an EN>KO translator in the UK and doing my first self-assessment tax return in HMRC website and wonder if anyone can help.

I receive payments from American and German agencies via Paypal in dollar and euro. I normally transfer them into my UK back account, therefore I assumed this income belongs to the total income after currency conversion into UK sterling (pounds), however, I found there is a "Foreign" section as below:

If you received any foreign income, do you need to complete the foreign section? Please check help:

Do I have to fill in the Foreign section in this case? I read a list of "types of income or gain" and cannot figure out where it belongs to.

Please help me if you have done the self-assessment as a self-employed in the UK!!!

Best regards,
Kim

[Edited at 2014-01-27 13:48 GMT]

Direct link Reply with quote

Charlie Bavington  Identity Verified
French to English
Record under self-employment income Jan 27, 2014

See page 1 here:

http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/worksheets/sa106-notes.pdf

Clive Phillips  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2009)
German to English
+ ...
Record it under Self-employment income Jan 27, 2014

The relevant bit on Page 1 of the HMRC publication quoted by Charlie:
"Do not include the following item on the Foreign pages but on the relevant
pages of your tax return instead:
• foreign income earned by your business or partnership goes on the Self-employment or Partnership pages".

Sheila Wilson  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2007)
English
+ ...
I wasn't self-employed in the UK Jan 27, 2014

But I do know that income generated by a business is subject to tax in the jurisdiction where the business is registered, no matter where the client is based and no matter where the bank is based.

Foreign income would refer to, say, if you owned a house abroad that you rented out.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

paypal income and UK tax self-assessment

Advanced search

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search