Thread poster: Julien Mulas

Julien Mulas  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 12:46
Member (2013)
English to French
Jan 28, 2014

Hello,

Beside a translation job, my client is asking me to realize a DTP but I am not sure how I should charge for this kind of job. (only DTP with Indesign.)

Should I charge per hour or per page ? And what are the standard rates for DTP ?

My first idea was to charge as much as my standard hourly rate for translation.

Thank you in advance.

Joakim Braun  Identity Verified
Sweden
German to Swedish
+ ...
Varies Jan 28, 2014

If you don't have pro-level Indesign skills, charge a lump sum.

Charges for DTP vary enormously depending on the job, customer base and the skill required.
Unless this is a very simple job, start with your hourly translation rate, add 20% and see what the reaction is.

Jan Willem van Dormolen  Identity Verified
Netherlands
English to Dutch
+ ...
Professionalism Jan 28, 2014

You do realize that DTP is a profession?
Just like a DTP expert might not be a good translator, a translator is not necessarily good at DTP.
So, unless this is really easy DTP, I would not do the DTP at all, but try and recommend a friend who actually makes his/her living from DTP.

José Henrique Lamensdorf  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 07:46
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Software Jan 28, 2014

Jan Willem van Dormolen wrote:

You do realize that DTP is a profession?
Just like a DTP expert might not be a good translator, a translator is not necessarily good at DTP.
So, unless this is really easy DTP, I would not do the DTP at all, but try and recommend a friend who actually makes his/her living from DTP.

Definitely!

However do they require you to use any specific software?
Or anything will do, they just want a PDF?

Two points:

1. Doing complex DTP with MS Word is often like tearing down a masonry wall with a plastic spoon. Word - no matter how much you like it (I don't!) - is a word processor, not a DTP app.

2. I am familiar with PageMaker (InDesign's "father") inside out, been using it for 25 years or so. Meanwhile I once had to translate one phrase on a page using QuarkXpress. It took me longer than assembling a very complex flowchart on PageMaker.

The reason I don't like charging DTP by the hour is that, if I have to do it on PageMaker, anything will get done in a couple of heartbeats, and I'll be grossly underpaid for all the years I invested in mastering it. On the other hand, if the client demands that I use, say, FrameMaker, they'll be grossly overcharged for the hours I'll spend reading manuals and help screens.

[Edited at 2014-01-28 14:19 GMT]

France
Member (2013)
English to French
TOPIC STARTER
the basics Jan 28, 2014

Actually,

I know the basics and it is not a very complicated task here.

The software I am supposed to use is Indesign.

France
Member (2013)
English to French
TOPIC STARTER
Jan 28, 2014

[Edited at 2014-01-28 15:26 GMT]

Basak Balkan  Identity Verified
Belgium
Member (2008)
English to Turkish
+ ...
What did you do finally? Feb 3, 2015

Hello, Julien, I have the same "problem" today. How much/how did you charge finally? I also need to do a DTP in Indesign.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How to charge for DTP/Layout only ?

Advanced search

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search