Request to outsourcers and clients who, 'are not offering a fee for this project'
Thread poster: Łukasz Gos-Furmankiewicz
Łukasz Gos-Furmankiewicz
Łukasz Gos-Furmankiewicz  Identity Verified
Poland
Local time: 02:42
English to Polish
+ ...
Jan 28, 2014

I have seen this today once too many. In result, I just can't and won't stay silent on the subject.

When you, for whatever reason, have a translation project that you would like to receive free of charge, and for some reason you aren't ashamed to ask, spell it out.

'Due to factors such and such the client is not offering a fee,' seriously?

It can be one the free: a pro bono project, in which case you shouldn't be ashamed, a favour, which takes a way differe
... See more
I have seen this today once too many. In result, I just can't and won't stay silent on the subject.

When you, for whatever reason, have a translation project that you would like to receive free of charge, and for some reason you aren't ashamed to ask, spell it out.

It can be one the free: a pro bono project, in which case you shouldn't be ashamed, a favour, which takes a way different sort of language to ask for (didn't mum teach you?), or you're requesting a commercial service to be rendered without payment.

If you have the nerve to offer a job without payment, have the nerve to admit it.

How about you go to work in an office and your boss informs you that due to a temporary decrease in revenue he isn't offering you any pay this month?

Thank you.

[Edited at 2014-01-28 14:02 GMT]
Collapse

Dinny
Dinny  Identity Verified
Greece
Local time: 03:42
Italian to Danish
+ ...
New trend? Jan 28, 2014

Seeing the job offers at ProZ lately, this might just be the new trend. Not a big step from offering something like USD 0.02 per word for translation into down right asking you to do it for free.

Łukasz Gos-Furmankiewicz
Poland
English to Polish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
... Jan 28, 2014

Asking for a commercial service to be rendered free of charge for a pro bono cause or as a favour is one thing, heck, asking for a free service openly, period, is also one thing.

But what sort of thing is, 'not offering a fee for this project?' Beggars have more class.

Branka Ramadanovic
Branka Ramadanovic  Identity Verified
Bosnia and Herzegovina
English to Croatian
+ ...
It seems Jan 28, 2014

that the economic crisis is becoming deeper all the time, according what I see here....

Łukasz Gos-Furmankiewicz
Poland
English to Polish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
... Jan 28, 2014

Again, I'm only addressing the manner of communication here, not the substance of the proposal. I know it's a ludicrous thing that we get asked to work without pay, but my primary concern here is the manner. The, 'not offering a fee for this project,' language to wit.

Thayenga
Thayenga  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2009)
English to German
+ ...
Maybe... Jan 28, 2014

Łukasz Gos-Furmankiewicz wrote:

The, 'not offering a fee for this project,' language to wit.

Maybe they're not offering a fee for said project because they're waiting for quotes?

I'm not acting "smart" here, but am trying to take this non-offer with a smile. After all, that's all one can do... aside from moving on to real jobs.

nrichy (X)
nrichy (X)
France
French to Dutch
+ ...
My uncle Jan 28, 2014

sometimes receives a bottle of wine for his translations. But of course this generous offer is not stated beforehand, and he cannot ask for it...

Mark Benson (X)
Mark Benson (X)  Identity Verified

English to Swedish
+ ...
I offer a different service Jan 28, 2014

Łukasz Gos-Furmankiewicz wrote:

It can be one the free: a pro bono project, in which case you shouldn't be ashamed, a favour, which takes a way different sort of language to ask for (didn't mum teach you?), or you're requesting a commercial service to be rendered without payment.

If you have the nerve to offer a job without payment, have the nerve to admit it.

How about you go to work in an office and your boss informs you that due to a temporary decrease in revenue he isn't offering you any pay this month?

Thank you.

[Edited at 2014-01-28 14:02 GMT]

I mean, I really like your posts as always, but I have to say that I think your basic assumption is wrong. Everything that's free isn't pro bono.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Request to outsourcers and clients who, 'are not offering a fee for this project'

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »