Cheeky offer
Thread poster: Heinrich Pesch

Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 14:06
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
Feb 3, 2014

Today I got through one other site an invitation to translate a document of less than 600 words for the day after tomorrow from a London-based agency I had no previous contact with. After I sent e-mail to them they responded at once:

""We have a few steps which you have to follow in order to start to work with us"

We are using a special software, which is a communication program between the project management and our translators. Without this software, you will not be able to work for us. Please note that you need to have a fast internet connection in order to use the program.

1. If you have applied as a translator, please download the software and register. You will get the possibility to download a test translation. Please upload this test translation again into XX so we can analyse it. As soon as your test translation has been approved, you can log into XX with the username and password you have registered and receive all the job announcements in your language combination. You are free to accept the offered translations but also to decline them. In XX you will also see your payment sheet of all the jobs you have translated or proofread for us. In the first week of every month, we transfer the money.

Please note that we offer a fixed rate for translations which is 0.03Euro per word and for proofreading 0.005 Euro per word."

When I told them my rate is 5 times the rate on offer I heard nothing more. I should mention that my rates are visible on my profile page from which they contacted me.


 

Gudrun Wolfrath  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 13:06
English to German
+ ...
Heinrich, Feb 3, 2014

I assume you were happy to learn that you are free to decline any offers by them.

 

svenfrade  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 13:06
French to German
+ ...
Oooh, tempting Feb 3, 2014

Well, Heinrich, I bet it was really hard to refuse such a tempting offericon_wink.gif

 

Josephine Cassar  Identity Verified
Local time: 13:06
Member (2012)
Italian to English
+ ...
tempting Feb 3, 2014

As tempting as anything, I would say. I suppose they have nobody in your language combinations, that's why they contacted you, and what a language pair too, to offer such rates, not that any language pair merits such rates!! And then they say that only places like India, Africa, China offer such rates!!

 

Louisa Berry
United Kingdom
Local time: 12:06
Member (2009)
German to English
+ ...
I can't see your rates... Feb 3, 2014

Hi Heinrich

I went to have a quick look at your profile and couldn't see your rates?


Louisa


 

Bettina Hammer  Identity Verified
Austria
Local time: 13:06
English to German
Be prepared to get some emails :) Feb 3, 2014

Heinrich Pesch wrote:

...As soon as your test translation has been approved, you can log into XX with the username and password you have registered and receive all the job announcements in your language combination. You are free to accept the offered translations but also to decline them. In XX you will also see your payment sheet of all the jobs you have translated or proofread for us. In the first week of every month, we transfer the money.

Please note that we offer a fixed rate for translations which is 0.03Euro per word and for proofreading 0.005 Euro per word."...


You should have asked them about what they do with your address etc.
many of those so called "companies" who are in need of translators and like those people to register, might just make an additional income with your data.

I have at least one company (not via proz.com) which is "seeking for translators" and where there is evidence that the address, email and some additional information have been transfered to spammers.

The rates are another subject for another time (the last rate I was offered was 0,001 USD per word because "this would be a great chance for me" and "I could gain experience".


 

Woodstock  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 13:06
Member (2005)
German to English
+ ...
What? Feb 3, 2014

They didn't require you to have a PhD in Linguistics, a Nobel Prize by age 28 and at least 15 recommendations from Fortune 500 companies, too, for such a princely rate? How lucky you are!

Really insulting offer. I've started telling them that cleaning public toilets pays more than what they are offering for a professional, academic service where I live!


 

José Henrique Lamensdorf  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 08:06
English to Portuguese
+ ...
My usual answer Feb 3, 2014

Whenever I am offered half of my rate or less, I tell them to use free online Google Translate. I tell them about my experiences (why do most come from the UK???) of having been hired to redo from scratch (at my full rate) translations done at these rates, after they were bluntly rejected by the end-client.

As I've done it, I've seen them, so I tell them very honestly that the flaws differ in nature, however the overall quality delivered by cheap amateur translators and GT is about the same.

I even point them to a test: a side-by-side comparison between my translation into PT-BR and GT's. If the latter is good enough for them, why waste money on cheap amateurs when they can have it for free? Is it only to have a human being they can blame?


 

Mark Benson (X)  Identity Verified

English to Swedish
+ ...
Disturbing, but nothing to worry about. Feb 3, 2014

Dear Heinrich,

I understand your concern. You are already stating an interesting rate at 5 times what you were offered.

However, this is a phenomenon that's being reported increasingly these days, and nothing to be concerned about. It's probably best to describe it as a form of spamming.

I just looked through your profile and please take my word that it cannot have been an offer you should take personally.

Best/
Mark


 

Mark Benson (X)  Identity Verified

English to Swedish
+ ...
Please point such offers in my direction! Feb 3, 2014

José Henrique Lamensdorf wrote:

Whenever I am offered half of my rate or less, I tell them to use free online Google Translate. I tell them about my experiences (why do most come from the UK???) of having been hired to redo from scratch (at my full rate) translations done at these rates, after they were bluntly rejected by the end-client.

As I've done it, I've seen them, so I tell them very honestly that the flaws differ in nature, however the overall quality delivered by cheap amateur translators and GT is about the same.

I even point them to a test: a side-by-side comparison between my translation into PT-BR and GT's. If the latter is good enough for them, why waste money on cheap amateurs when they can have it for free? Is it only to have a human being they can blame?


Dear José,

Do you know anywhere to get such deals? At 0.03 per word, it seems pretty alright though. To let them use GT and say that 'it was Mark Benson.' Then that would also give me a chance to let them know that for an extra 0.20 I might be able to offer a translation service as well whenever they decide to start using one.

Best regards/
Mark

[Edited at 2014-02-03 23:18 GMT]


 

José Henrique Lamensdorf  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 08:06
English to Portuguese
+ ...
The bottom-feeding marketplace Feb 4, 2014

Mark Benson wrote:

José Henrique Lamensdorf wrote:

Whenever I am offered half of my rate or less...
(snip)
... why waste money on cheap amateurs when they can have it for free? Is it only to have a human being they can blame?


Dear José,

Do you know anywhere to get such deals? At 0.03 per word, it seems pretty alright though. To let them use GT and say that 'it was Mark Benson.' Then that would also give me a chance to let them know that for an extra 0.20 I might be able to offer a translation service as well whenever they decide to start using one.

Best regards/
Mark


Mark, I think moderators would delete my post if I mentioned the URL of a translation portal Proz could consider a competitor (I don't!), so I'll stick to their initials, T-D.

They used to be crammed with 1-2¢ (in any currency) per word translation jobs in all language pairs. Some strong action by their management led to a "template rate" of EUR 5¢/word for job notifications. Most - if not all - jobs I see there are at this rate (or some ludicrously low per-hour fee). Never mind, as soon as you contact the job poster there, they'll start struggling to drive it down to their actual pay level.

It is obvious that these bottom feeders are looking for machine translation quality or worse, however they want to pay people for the hassle of copying and pasting there and back, and to take the blame for doing it too. If this is what you want, knock yourself out there!

If you can't find it, e-mail me, and I'll provide their URL.


 

Mark Benson (X)  Identity Verified

English to Swedish
+ ...
Still just an assumption Feb 4, 2014

José Henrique Lamensdorf wrote:

Mark Benson wrote:

José Henrique Lamensdorf wrote:

Whenever I am offered half of my rate or less...
(snip)
... why waste money on cheap amateurs when they can have it for free? Is it only to have a human being they can blame?


Dear José,

Do you know anywhere to get such deals? At 0.03 per word, it seems pretty alright though. To let them use GT and say that 'it was Mark Benson.' Then that would also give me a chance to let them know that for an extra 0.20 I might be able to offer a translation service as well whenever they decide to start using one.

Best regards/
Mark


Mark, I think moderators would delete my post if I mentioned the URL of a translation portal Proz could consider a competitor (I don't!), so I'll stick to their initials, T-D.

They used to be crammed with 1-2¢ (in any currency) per word translation jobs in all language pairs. Some strong action by their management led to a "template rate" of EUR 5¢/word for job notifications. Most - if not all - jobs I see there are at this rate (or some ludicrously low per-hour fee). Never mind, as soon as you contact the job poster there, they'll start struggling to drive it down to their actual pay level.

It is obvious that these bottom feeders are looking for machine translation quality or worse, however they want to pay people for the hassle of copying and pasting there and back, and to take the blame for doing it too. If this is what you want, knock yourself out there!

If you can't find it, e-mail me, and I'll provide their URL.


Dear José,

We still don't know that all they're looking for is an individual who is willing to present himself as the translator of some material.

If they want anything more the situation changes. If they want to pay for this as their Translation or something else, right?

We do not know if this is the actual future of the translation business, or if it will be more in the direction of sort of doing something for the money too.

Sorry for my rate-joking, but everybody seems to be doing it lately, it just caught on here too somehow.

Best regards/
Mark

[Edited at 2014-02-04 12:46 GMT]


 

Łukasz Gos-Furmankiewicz  Identity Verified
Poland
Local time: 13:06
English to Polish
+ ...
... Feb 4, 2014

Heinrich Pesch wrote:

Today I got through one other site an invitation to translate a document of less than 600 words for the day after tomorrow from a London-based agency I had no previous contact with. After I sent e-mail to them they responded at once:

[b]""We have a few steps which you have to follow in order to start to work with us"[b]


I find the bolded language unacceptable. I'd definitely call them on it. All in all, the message sounds vaugely native but somehow stripped of politeness. Either that's some modern fashion of boorish writing, or you're dealing with an otherwise highly proficient non-native speaker who can't handle the politesse.


 

Kuochoe Nikoi  Identity Verified
Ghana
Local time: 11:06
Member (2011)
Japanese to English
That's one thing. Feb 4, 2014

Łukasz Gos-Furmankiewicz wrote:

I find the bolded language unacceptable. I'd definitely call them on it. All in all, the message sounds vaugely native but somehow stripped of politeness. Either that's some modern fashion of boorish writing, or you're dealing with an otherwise highly proficient non-native speaker who can't handle the politesse.

Good point. But I'm more concerned about them allegedly having a 600 word job due in two days, in which time the translator is expected to jump through all the necessary hoops to register with them before starting work. Somehow I doubt there's a real job waiting at the end of this charade.


 


To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:


You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Cheeky offer

Advanced search







Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »



Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search