When PayPal considers inactive an account?
Thread poster: Argentine Translator

Argentine Translator
Argentina
Local time: 06:52
English to Spanish
+ ...
Feb 6, 2014

Hello. I am wondering if PayPal may consider an account inactive if I do not access it periodically or if I do not make/receive payments. Thank you for your help. Regards, AT

Christophe Delaunay  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 11:52
Spanish to French
+ ...
I don't think so Feb 6, 2014

but btw, why don't you ask them directly and come back here to tell us about it?icon_wink.gif

Woodstock  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2005)
German to English
+ ...
My recent experience Feb 6, 2014

I just reactivated an old account I hadn't used for at least five or more years a few months ago, and it was not a big deal. Most of my clients are within Europe, and bank transfers are the normal payment method so I didn't really need it, but I had a new client in UK and wanted to use Paypal again. Besides, I remembered a small amount of money still in the account and was wondering if it would still be there.

The big problem when I stopped using the account was that I had forgotten the password, and then the answer to the security question (not the answer per se, but the exact formulation), so I was locked out of the account, and for the life of me could find no way to contact the company on the website without being logged in! It was a genuinely Catch-22 situation, because - obviously - I could not log in without the password, and after searching the website high and low several times over a period of time, and then a few sporadic, fruitless attempts over the years in between, ultimately gave up altogether.

Then a friend told me about having resolved a similar Paypal experience lately, but he had an actual phone number, which I had never been able to find. It seems the company has made itself a bit more customer-friendly lately - about damn time!

I called, and got everything sorted relatively quickly, and yes - the money, about € 130, was still there! I was delighted, to say the least. So all in all, it was a pretty good experience.

However, I would still recommend another service called TransferWise these days. It's cheaper and fast, supposedly by the same guys who came up with Paypal. However, it's not available everywhere.
https://transferwise.com/

Robert Rietvelt  Identity Verified
Member (2006)
Spanish to Dutch
+ ...
An account Feb 7, 2014

... is an account! (to parafrase John Wayne) There is nobody in the world who has the legal right to close it, because I am not using it "enough", that comes close to Kafka.

ATIL KAYHAN  Identity Verified
Turkey
Local time: 12:52
Member (2007)
Turkish to English
+ ...
Open/Close Feb 9, 2014

Just as it is at our discretion to open a PayPal account, it should be at our discretion to close it. I agree with Robert. The most PayPal can do about our account is to send us e-mail messages. PayPal has no right to close an account. Only we can do it.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

When PayPal considers inactive an account?

Advanced search

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search