Pages in topic:   [1 2 3 4] >
Be paid nearly nothing for your work. Apply Here!
Thread poster: Andre Ferreira

Andre Ferreira  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 10:40
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Feb 11, 2014

ProZ built through the years a strong positive reputation for gathering translators and clients into the same community. In my opinion this reputation is actually built because it provided for both clients and translators a platform to display and construct a reputation (i.e. Blueboard, and Feedbacks) and therefore to respect the professionals of this industry. Translators and Clients.

For this reason, although there are other similar platforms rising, ProZ is one of the translation workplaces of my choice.

However I've seen several times here, and on both sides, people using the platform's current loopholes for, in my opinion, not very respectful initiatives. The one which bothers me the most, are companies offering payments below, and VERY below market prices. They not only offer low payments but translators are accepting them.

Today a company posted a job which pays 0.0014409221 to 0.00288184438 per word for a translation and until when I saw the ad, it had 70 quotes received. 70!

While people are obviously free to accept anything they feel is fair for their own hard work and, of course, to say no to such behaviors, when people feel is OK to be paid nearly nothing for a slowly built competency, I feel is very disrespectful. In addition, it collaborates to bring down the value of work of The Collective.
What is your opinion on this? What could be done and/or suggested to ProZ?

Thank you everyone
Andre

[Edited at 2014-02-11 05:48 GMT]

Recep Kurt  Identity Verified
Turkey
Local time: 05:40
Member (2011)
English to Turkish
+ ...
Because Feb 11, 2014

This is because anybody can register here and pretend to be a translator.
A student in pursuit of some pocket money; a retired professional filling his/her time and making some extra money... There is nothing preventing them from being "translators". I think whoever posts such jobs is clearly not after quality, so I wouldn't worry about it. Let them get what they deserve.

Angie Garbarino  Identity Verified
Member (2003)
French to Italian
+ ...
Just seen it Feb 11, 2014

50 USD total for 20K words, this a record I think.

Louisa Berry
United Kingdom
Local time: 03:40
Member (2009)
German to English
+ ...
You don't have to quote at the prices stated in the post Feb 11, 2014

You don't have to quote at the prices stated in the post.

I believe some people quote at their normal rate in order to try and educate outsourcers.

You have no way of knowing if those 70 quotes were all for the rate the oursourcer offered.

jyuan_us  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 22:40
Member (2005)
English to Chinese
+ ...
Right, your post makes a lot of sense Feb 11, 2014

Louisa Fox wrote:

You don't have to quote at the prices stated in the post.

I believe some people quote at their normal rate in order to try and educate outsourcers.

You have no way of knowing if those 70 quotes were all for the rate the oursourcer offered.

The price range could also be a typo error, or the outsourcer just didn't like being asked about their rate and randomly put something there.

Jitka Komarkova (Mgr.)  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
Local time: 04:40
Member (2013)
English to Czech
+ ...
May be a typo... but it does not actually have to be a typo ... we all know Feb 11, 2014

Angie Garbarino wrote:

50 USD total for 20K words, this a record I think.

I would suggest we all quote with our BEST PRICE - meaning our price with regard to the quality, experience, flexibility, responsibility of our work plus some extra for a three weeks´ holiday in our dreamy destination!

[Edited at 2014-02-11 08:46 GMT]

Andre Ferreira  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 10:40
English to Portuguese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
agree with you all Feb 11, 2014

Hi there people thank you all for these quick replies, I agree with you all, kindly let me add a perspective.

I think as ProZ has the average rates collected from fellow translators of the community in each language pair (see http://search.proz.com/?sp=pfe/rates) would be helpful if they could set up a minimum quotient based on these rates. Clients would not use them as guidelines merely but would be blocked if the attempt has a way below market price rate.

For example if an average rate for a certain language is 0.06 and the possible client attempts to create an ad based in, lets say 10% of this rate, the ad would be automatically blocked. I do understand projects and companies all have their own specificities, but should be there a limit. Well, it's just a suggestion.

@Recep: Agree. We could see this in both good and bad perspectives I think. Good as gives opportunity to newcomers, bad as it could possibly reflect in the final quality.

@Louisa: I am well aware of that Louisa. ProZ even has a remark saying "There is no obligation to quote within the given budget range."
However, whether people know or not the rates people are offering, is very possible that if a Client offers a certain amount, the quotes will not go too much far from that. About trying to "educate" outsourcers is not, in my opinion, our role as individuals, but if done by the platform which gather us all, could work very effectively.

@jyuan: Yes, its a possibility. Can you imagine if I am planning to buy a certain Ferrari for 200k USD and then publish an ad online and receive many replies from Ferrari dealers selling the same model for 2k. Would I want still buy it for 200k?icon_smile.gif

LilianNekipelov  Identity Verified
United States
Russian to English
+ ...
That there are 70 quotes Feb 11, 2014

doesn't man that the people bid low--they could have entered any rate of their choice, trying to convince the client. I think people usually bid much higher than what the clients post as their rate. Always offer them your regular rate, no matter what their rate is, and try proving you expertise in that field, and convincing them that it is cheaper in the long run to give the job to a qualified translator than to a cheapo.

[Edited at 2014-02-11 09:09 GMT]

xxxnrichy
France
French to Dutch
+ ...
Some people Feb 11, 2014

just don't do the math.
50 USD seems a lot, so they apply.

Jack Doughty  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 03:40
Member (2000)
Russian to English
+ ...
Retired professionals Feb 11, 2014

To Recep Kurt:
I am "a retired professional (translator) filling his time and making some extra money...". I see no reason to believe that I or others in this category would turn in poor quality work or accept ruinously low rates.

Orrin Cummins  Identity Verified
Japan
Local time: 11:40
Japanese to English
+ ...
Quite the opposite, I would think Feb 11, 2014

Jack Doughty wrote:

To Recep Kurt:
I am "a retired professional (translator) filling his time and making some extra money...". I see no reason to believe that I or others in this category would turn in poor quality work or accept ruinously low rates.

If you retired as a translator then you probably have decades of experience...I can't imagine too many people like that willing to work for peanuts.

jyuan_us  Identity Verified
United States
Member (2005)
English to Chinese
+ ...
The Ferrari thing cannot be used as a comparison Feb 11, 2014

Andre Ferreira wrote:

@jyuan: Yes, its a possibility. Can you imagine if I am planning to buy a certain Ferrari for 200k USD and then publish an ad online and receive many replies from Ferrari dealers selling the same model for 2k. Would I want still buy it for 200k?icon_smile.gif

For one, you don't place an ad asking dealers to sell you a Ferrari for $2 k. For Two, even if you did, you won't buy a Ferrari from a dealer that want to sell it for $2000, because when the car is delivered to you, it might turn out to be a toy.

I won't use translators that are too cheap. I once got a reply to one of my job ads, offering one cent per word, while all others were offering 6 cents or above. I chose one of those who offered 6 cents.

To some of you 6 cents is still peanuts but for the translator living in that particular country, it is a luxury. So he did an excellent job and the end client didn't change a single word.

[Edited at 2014-02-11 12:26 GMT]

LilianNekipelov  Identity Verified
United States
Russian to English
+ ...
There is no retiring from translation. Feb 11, 2014

I am not sure what you have in mind. Translation is a life style. Have you ever heard about a retired writer?

Recep Kurt  Identity Verified
Turkey
Local time: 05:40
Member (2011)
English to Turkish
+ ...
Clarification Feb 11, 2014

Mr. Doughty,

I meant those people who have not worked as translators, yet decide that they could, after they retire.

Gabriela Gavrilova-Widua  Identity Verified
German to Bulgarian
+ ...
Translation is a Global Business Feb 11, 2014

I only want to stress the fact, that the living expenses in the different countries of residence of translators can diverge widely. I think Recep can confirm this fact as a native Turk...

In my opinion this is the main obstacle for establishing prices which are acceptable in let say London as well as in Bolivia...

Pages in topic:   [1 2 3 4] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Be paid nearly nothing for your work. Apply Here!

Advanced search

WordFinder Unlimited
For clarity and excellence

WordFinder is the leading dictionary service that gives you the words you want anywhere, anytime. Access 260+ dictionaries from the world's leading dictionary publishers in virtually any device. Find the right word anywhere, anytime - online or offline.

More info »
SDL Trados Studio 2017 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2017 helps translators increase translation productivity whilst ensuring quality. Combining translation memory, terminology management and machine translation in one simple and easy-to-use environment.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search