Working for Italian agencies from Canada
Thread poster: Kathryn Britton

Kathryn Britton
United Kingdom
Local time: 11:42
Member (2014)
Italian to English
Feb 14, 2014

Does anyone have any experience of moving to Canada from Italy? I live in Italy and have a good client base here with Italian based agencies I am wondering whether I would be jeopardising my work with them if I were to move to Canada and work from there with a Canadian Social Secuity number andclosing my Italian partita IVA - any advice/personal experiences would be appreciated

Direct link Reply with quote

Hege Jakobsen Lepri  Identity Verified
Local time: 06:42
Member (2002)
English to Norwegian
+ ...
I did it almost 10 years ago Feb 14, 2014

....and retained all my Italian clients. The only ones I lost were they ones I dropped due to no longer accepting their appalling payment practices (60+ days as standard). Must be said, though, that even at the time, my Italian client base only made up about 40% of my total revenue.

Kathryn Britton
United Kingdom
Member (2014)
Italian to English
TOPIC STARTER
thanks Feb 14, 2014

Thanks very much ......here's hoping

Sheila Wilson  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2007)
English
+ ...
Should be possible Feb 14, 2014

It's certainly possible to move to a country where they don't speak any of your languages, and continue to work with 99% of your existing clients. I've done that successfully when I moved from France to Spain (when I didn't speak a word of Spanish). Like Hege though, only about 50% of my business was with French clients. Why would clients from 'abroad' care if you moved?

In your case, you will have more inconveniences. Your Italian clients are used to paying in euros, and that's not what you'll need to be spending. They're used to paying into an EU-zone bank account, and paying into a Canadian one will inevitably have a cost to both parties. Then there's the time difference, which can work in your favour for some particular jobs but means you have to have a good relationship with clients as you won't always be available when they need you.

I'm sure that if moving to Canada is a really important life move then you'll make it work some way.

Member (2002)
English to Norwegian
+ ...
one great advantage of the move Feb 14, 2014

is that the taxation of small, individual businesses, at least here in Ontario, is so much more favourable than in Italy. The possible deductions are endless, so all in all, you'll have more money in your pocket even if you make the same gross amount.

Member (2002)
English to Norwegian
+ ...
Bank fees Feb 14, 2014

My Canadian bank has appalling fees for receiving wire transfers, so I've kept a bank account in my native country, Norway, that my European clients use to pay me. You can't do that legally in Italy, though, unless the laws have changed.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Working for Italian agencies from Canada

Advanced search

PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search