Thread poster: Tjasa Kuerpick

Tjasa Kuerpick  Identity Verified
Slovenia
Local time: 02:07
Member (2006)
Slovenian to German
+ ...
Apr 4, 2014

Some years ago, I opened an account at Paypal, which I hardly ever used after that. Today I received a small amount at Paypal. When I visited Paypal I realized that I cannot add my business Bank account in Slovenia, instead Paypal offered me only US Banks or to enter data of credit cards, which I do not use. I am quite dissapointed with Paypal. I cannot change the country either. So what now?

I wrote To Paypal and asked them how to add a bank ...

As many of you use Paypal, you are probably more familiar with this issue, and can help me.

Direct link Reply with quote

Paulinho Fonseca  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 21:07
Member (2011)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Where did u open your paypal account? Apr 4, 2014

Tjasa Kuerpick wrote:

Some years ago, I opened an account at Paypal, which I hardly ever used after that. Today I received a small amount at Paypal. When I visited Paypal I realized that I cannot add my business Bank account in Slovenia, instead Paypal offered me only US Banks or to enter data of credit cards, which I do not use. I am quite dissapointed with Paypal. I cannot change the country either. So what now?

I wrote To Paypal and asked them how to add a bank ...

As many of you use Paypal, you are probably more familiar with this issue, and can help me.

Slovenia
Member (2006)
Slovenian to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
At Apr 4, 2014

at paypal.com

Anton Konashenok  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
English to Russian
+ ...
Just spend it directly from Paypal Apr 5, 2014

Paypal's exchange rates are totally outrageous, so if you received your payment in a currency other than euro, you are better off spending it directly in that currency at some web shop.

Steven Segaert  Identity Verified
Estonia
Local time: 03:07
Member (2012)
English to Dutch
+ ...
Use the balance Apr 5, 2014

As Anton suggests, I also just use the balance to buy software and services.

LilianNekipelov  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 20:07
Russian to English
+ ...
Hi. Don't you have a PayPal debit card? Apr 5, 2014

Most people have. Perhaps you can apply for one. They should send it within seven days.

Sheila Wilson  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 01:07
Member (2007)
English
+ ...
There are several restrictions Apr 5, 2014

You can only add banks in the country where you opened the account. If you aren't living in the country where your account is registered, you really need to open another account, in that country. I had to do that when I moved from France to Spain. The annoying thing is that you have to use a different email address. If you set up an account in Slovenia then you should be able to transfer the balance between accounts, and then into your Slovenian bank.

But as others have said, getting PayPal to change currencies isn't a great idea. What you can do is set up more than one income stream within a PayPal account. That way, if the odd client pays in USD you can keep it in that currency and use the balance to buy something in USD whereas all EUR payments can be transferred to your bank. Or you can wait until the exchange rate is particularly favourable before converting.

Slovenia
Member (2006)
Slovenian to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Restrictions Apr 5, 2014

Thank you all for the advice, especially to Sheila. I was actually paid in Euro.
As I said, I created the account some years ago, but never got any chance to use it, so I did not ask for a debit card either.

Nevertheless, their help sites aren’t really helpful. I have been missing crucial information to users who have already created an account and for those who want to create an account. That is my personal impression of paypal.
I am going to call them on Monday, to see what they suggest, otherwise, buying a dictionary or something similar would not be a bad idea

felicij  Identity Verified
German to Slovenian
+ ...
I used my Visa electron Apr 5, 2014

with PayPal and works quite well. You can transfer up to 500 € per day to your CC and they deduct 2 € for every withdrawal. This is good when you have EUR balance. If you have USD balance, the last time I checked (today) the exchange rate was 1 USD = 0.7108 EUR and the rate on www.valute.si was 1 USD = 0.73 EUR, so it is better to spend it on ebay or similar...

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How to withdraw money from Paypal

Advanced search

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
SDL Trados Studio 2017 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2017 helps translators increase translation productivity whilst ensuring quality. Combining translation memory, terminology management and machine translation in one simple and easy-to-use environment.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search