https://www.proz.com/forum/money_matters/267430-hourly_rate_for_translators_in_australia_urgent.html

Hourly Rate for translators in Australia-Urgent
Thread poster: connie0398
connie0398
connie0398
Australia
Apr 9, 2014

Can someone advise the hourly rate of a full-time translator (NATTI level 3)?

I understand most of you may charge on the basis of per 100 words. if so can you please advise on average how long it takes to translate 100 English words? (including translating and proof reading)

My goal is to work out the annual salary (market rate) of a full time translator in Australia.

Thanks in advance.

ATIL KAYHAN
ATIL KAYHAN  Identity Verified
Türkiye
Local time: 17:52
Member (2007)
Turkish to English
+ ...
Community Rates Apr 9, 2014

Did you have a chance to check the Community Rates at ProZ?

http://search.proz.com/?sp=pfe/rates

Natalia Mackevich
Natalia Mackevich  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 15:52
English to Russian
+ ...
One cannot predict how much a freelance translator will earn. Apr 9, 2014

One cannot predict how much a freelance translator will earn in any country (think global!). If you are a translator, calculate how much you need to earn (based on rent, bills, food, transport, medicine and other expenses) and then calculate your hourly and per word rate (based on how much you want to work, part-time or full-time). You cannot predict your translation/proofreading speed unless you've worked for some time and got at least a general idea of projects you take part in and typical tex... See more
One cannot predict how much a freelance translator will earn in any country (think global!). If you are a translator, calculate how much you need to earn (based on rent, bills, food, transport, medicine and other expenses) and then calculate your hourly and per word rate (based on how much you want to work, part-time or full-time). You cannot predict your translation/proofreading speed unless you've worked for some time and got at least a general idea of projects you take part in and typical texts you deal with. One can spend hours on one single difficult sentence (like slogans etc.) or translate 1,000 words per hour with a good translation memory and a familiar CAT-tool, but projects may vary significantly.
Alternatively, if you need to know how much an average Australian translator would earn, search job sites for related job offers and limit your search to your region.
Collapse

Kaiya J. Diannen
Kaiya J. Diannen  Identity Verified
Australia
German to English
Research Apr 9, 2014

Your question is confusing, or maybe just confused.

There is no "how long it takes to translate 100 English words" - English words into what language, in what field, in what kind of document and at what difficulty level?

Do you realize that "salary" implies "employment"? Most translators who read these forums are freelancers/independent contractors - i.e., they are not employed. They do, however, have annual income. You really need to know what you are looking for in or
... See more
Your question is confusing, or maybe just confused.

There is no "how long it takes to translate 100 English words" - English words into what language, in what field, in what kind of document and at what difficulty level?

Do you realize that "salary" implies "employment"? Most translators who read these forums are freelancers/independent contractors - i.e., they are not employed. They do, however, have annual income. You really need to know what you are looking for in order to find it.

As Natalia mentions, I suggest you do further research. For one, you could contact NAATI itself and see if they have conducted surveys of their members. I'm sure other information is also available online.

The information here appears rather old, but it provides a lot of general information:
http://ling.mq.edu.au/translation/lmtip_australia.htm
Another link with information readily available (although the definition of translator here is *wrong*, it seems to be lumping interpreters and translators together):
http://www.open.edu.au/careers/arts-recreation/translators

Please, do your homework!
Collapse

Vanda Nissen
Vanda Nissen  Identity Verified
Australia
Local time: 00:52
Member (2008)
English to Russian
+ ...
I agree with Janet Apr 10, 2014

It is hard to say how much you can make per hour because it depends on your familiarity with the field, your language combination, your client (private, corporate or government) etc.

A piece of advice- it is mandatory for all accredited translators to demonstrate a certain level of professional development that is why you can find NAATI/AUSIT approved workshops for translators and interpreters in every state/terriotry (a couple of weeks ago I hosted a workshop on terminology for tr
... See more
It is hard to say how much you can make per hour because it depends on your familiarity with the field, your language combination, your client (private, corporate or government) etc.

A piece of advice- it is mandatory for all accredited translators to demonstrate a certain level of professional development that is why you can find NAATI/AUSIT approved workshops for translators and interpreters in every state/terriotry (a couple of weeks ago I hosted a workshop on terminology for translators in Adelaide). Such events are very good for networking, you can meet colleagues and ask people working in your language pair about rates, demand etc.
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Hourly Rate for translators in Australia-Urgent

Translation news

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »