Buying a translation agencies listing
Thread poster: Alexandre Chetrite

Alexandre Chetrite
France
Local time: 08:23
English to French
Apr 25, 2014

Hello,

I am planning on marketing my services to translation agencies by buying a translation agencies listing such as the one offered here: http://www.translationdirectory.com/jobs.htm#04

The price is high, even for the indivicual listings. Has anyone already bought one of their listings and are they updated and worth the money in your opinion?

Do you know other companies offering the same service but at a lower price?

I would be interested by the listings from France and the USA.

Regards,

[Edited at 2014-04-25 08:16 GMT]

Direct link Reply with quote

Michael Lücke
English to German
... Apr 25, 2014

Never heard of this directory before, but I can't imagine it's worth the money.

Why don't you start looking for TAs which are listed here on proZ (Jobs > appliances) ?

Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 09:23
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
Please don't Apr 25, 2014

You will be one more entry in my spam folder. Mass emailing is not what outsourcers like. It shows you are unprofessional.

Alexandre Chetrite
France
English to French
TOPIC STARTER
About being unprofessionnal Apr 25, 2014

Dear Heinrich Pesch,

I respect your opinion but you just cannot say that I am unprofessionnal.
As I wouldn't say this to another translator even if I think about it. I believe it is rude.

You can say that you don't agree with me, but please no insults on this forum. It is a forum for discussions, not for being judged.

Patrick Weill  Identity Verified
Local time: 01:23
Member (2014)
Spanish to English
Also no Apr 25, 2014

I would just go through the blue board at no cost additional to the Proz membership. I think there are 19000 listings there.

Frankie JB
France
English to French
+ ...
Agency list / LSP list Apr 25, 2014

Hello Alexandre,

Never bought. And likely never will.

Firstly because prices are way too high for me (considering the limited added value provided) and secondly because there are other ways to find this information that are less costly and not overly time-consuming.

Among them, obviously, is ProZ, through the Blue Board. You need to be a paying member to access them but considering the pricing and the many other advantages it offers, it must be smarter policy I guess? Of course, not all companies listed are agencies (there are individuals) and not all agencies in France have accounts on this site, but with 1230 results for France on ProZ and only 173 via the other source, I think overall you have more material here to start your marketing efforts...

There is also the Company directory you can search (freely!): http://www.proz.com/translation-agencies - 455 matches for "France" + "translation".

There are other sources where you can find this info for free, too...

Here for example you have a list of 350+ agencies operating in France: http://www.anyword.fr/blog/2009/05/27/les-principales-agences-de-traduction-en-france/ (ranked by turnover in addition!). It was compiled in 2009 but, you know, no source can ever claim to be exhaustive or perfectly accurate: it's a fast-moving industry!

By the way Heinrich:

Heinrich Pesch wrote:

You will be one more entry in my spam folder. Mass emailing is not what outsourcers like. It shows you are unprofessional.

I can't disagree with what you say but it's not what Alexandre said he plans to do! Buying a comprehensive list doesn't mean you will bomb them all - it can be a first step before handpicking only the most relevant to you...

[Edited at 2014-04-25 15:03 GMT]

Sergei Tumanov  Identity Verified
Local time: 09:23
English to Russian
+ ...
Here is my free gift to a beginning translator Apr 25, 2014

if someone cannot use it, there will be no use of paid listing either

http://www.google.ee/?gws_rd=cr&ei=qXhaU9bXOITW4wSV9IDQAQ#q=translation%20agency

Sheila Wilson  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 07:23
Member (2007)
English
+ ...
Absolutely Apr 25, 2014

Patrick Weill wrote:
I would just go through the blue board at no cost additional to the Proz membership. I think there are 19000 listings there.
And the idea of using companies' registers in the various countries is a very good one. Or just use Google to search for them. After all, you really don't need 7,398 agencies - just 10 or so clients will do to start with.

Sending mass mailings to a whole load of translation agencies is not going to win you many friends and is likely to get you blocked by many agencies, who will see you as an amateur desperate to make a bit of cash from your knowledge of two or more languages - they won't know or care you've paid to get their details. The prices being asked for this listing are ridiculous. You'd do better to invest in a year's membership here to get full access to the Blue Board, although I'm not saying that will actually guarantee anything, either. What's the point of approaching loads of agencies who are well-known for paying late if at all or finding 101 ways to do us out of rightful pay?

John Fossey  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 02:23
Member (2008)
French to English
No need to buy Apr 25, 2014

Translation agency lists are generally gleaned from sources that are already publicly available. In addition, they are often way out of date. You can get the same information and up to date by going to the websites of translation agency associations, such as euatc.org or atanet.org.

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Seconded! Apr 25, 2014

Heinrich Pesch wrote:

Such lists are not only obsolete, but also very indiscriminate, and flooding the market with emails does show that the person in question does not wish to lose time finding appropriate customers who might really need his/her services... and therefore makes hundreds if not thousands of people lose their time instead. Not nice...

And... sending indiscriminate mass email to random addresses about which you know nothing has a name: it is spam and should be treated as such, and those who send such mass emails are spammers. There is no other way to see it.

Paul Harrison MITI
United Kingdom
Local time: 07:23
French to English
Don't bother Apr 25, 2014

It shouldn't take too much googling to find out that these lists are seldom worth the money, often featuring reams of outdated or bogus contact info.

For example:

http://patenttranslator.wordpress.com/2014/02/12/making-the-switch-from-agency-clients-to-direct-clients/

Most translators and would-be translators have no clue how to find new clients. The best evidence of this is the fact that they keep buying useless lists of translation agencies from peddlers of useless lists of translation agencies and then fire off hundreds or thousands of e-mails with a generic cover letter to these agencies.

Many of these translators are so dumb that they even include the same idiotic cover letter that the peddlers of useless lists of translation agencies also helpfully include in their offering for a mere 150 Euros or so.

Imagine how a translation agency coordinator or an owner of a small translation agency must feel about having to delete these e-mails, every day, day after day. Although I am not really an agency, I receive these e-mails as well, usually in duplicate because I am listed under two different names in several of those useless lists, and there is no way to get me out of those damn lists.

Frankie JB wrote:
Here for example you have a list of 350+ agencies operating in France: http://www.anyword.fr/blog/2009/05/27/les-principales-agences-de-traduction-en-france/

Outstanding link, thanks!

[Edited at 2014-04-25 17:55 GMT]

Paul Malone  Identity Verified
France
Member (2004)
French to English
+ ...
I'm also a "no". It's an unnecessary expense in my view. Apr 25, 2014

I agree with those suggesting that you should be able to access all this information without the additional expense. As Patrick Weill has already mentioned, you can access the Blue Board listings with your Proz.com membership at no extra cost. The Blue Board will also give you an idea of what kind of working relationship you can expect from the agencies in question, so you can seek out agencies to contact as potential clients in a targeted way.

Rossana Triaca  Identity Verified
Uruguay
Local time: 03:23
Member (2002)
English to Spanish
As a freelancer/agency... Apr 25, 2014

I also get tons of unsolicited CVs (keyword: unsolicited) for a fantastic array of language pairs and specializations. I assumed my email had found its way to one of those lists peddled to translators (although for a time I also got some emails that seem to be from fraudsters impersonating real translators, quite lovely).

They all get summarily deleted.

I don't think it's unprofessional, but only because I give the translators the benefit of the doubt: they probably just got swindled, and it could have happened to me too when I was a beginner. They either don't know better, are new to the business, or simply didn't consider they would end up being labeled as spammers.

I'm sure some of these lists actually work (after all, a 0.0001% success rate it's a win if you amp up the number of emails sent), but now you are definitely a bona fide spammer and, trust me, you don't want to work with that one agency that is always looking for fresh meat.

For marketing purposes, you're better off investing in a Proz membership, browsing the list of companies with great scores in the Blue Board, and checking the Applications section where companies that are actually in need of providers sign-up to receive CVs. You can also access part of this info completely free just using your current account.

FWIW, I have no affiliation to Proz whatsoever and I have no vested interest in promoting their membership: it's just what has worked for me.

Triston Goodwin  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 00:23
Spanish to English
+ ...
I'm on that list... Apr 26, 2014

I've asked to be removed, repeatedly, but I still get 4 or 5 of these resumes everyday. If you do buy it, which I wouldn't recommend, please make sure to skip my name.

^_^

Mohd shadab  Identity Verified
Local time: 11:53
Hindi to English
+ ...
Never buy. Apr 26, 2014

These list are full of spam, dont buy it. Better to became paid member of both Proz and Translators cafe and be a part of their networking, Earn Kudoz, commenting on forum etc will surely help you ..

Regards
Shadab

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Buying a translation agencies listing

Advanced search

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
SDL MultiTerm 2017
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software by the industry leaders.

SDL MultiTerm 2017 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2017 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search