Daniel Rabinovich
Daniel Rabinovich  Identity Verified
Israel
Local time: 11:10
Member (2018)
English to Hebrew
+ ...
May 9, 2014

I have been contracted to translate a scientific text into English. The text includes equations and has to be typeset in LateX. I will not be using any CAT tools with this.

I am familiar with LateX, but I do not know how much to charge for the overhead due to the equations etc. There are quite a lot of equations, but the paper is not very long (6 pages).

Can anyone who did such work suggest how much I should charge for this (in extra %) when compared to plain text typed
... See more
I have been contracted to translate a scientific text into English. The text includes equations and has to be typeset in LateX. I will not be using any CAT tools with this.

I am familiar with LateX, but I do not know how much to charge for the overhead due to the equations etc. There are quite a lot of equations, but the paper is not very long (6 pages).

Can anyone who did such work suggest how much I should charge for this (in extra %) when compared to plain text typed in Word for example?
Collapse

DLyons
DLyons  Identity Verified
Ireland
Local time: 09:10
Spanish to English
+ ...
Probably little needs to change in the equations. May 9, 2014

They are usually notation that carries across pretty directly. But if for some reason, yours do need editing, then that will indeed take you considerably more time.

You're more likely to have problems with not being able to spell-check easily, and with doing references in BibTeX. Also look out for inserted graphics that have SL text in them.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Pricing of translation typeset in LateX

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »