Thread poster: Lenah Susianty

Lenah Susianty  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 08:34
Member (2004)
English to Indonesian
+ ...
Nov 24, 2004

Hi everyone, what you usually do when the clients do not pay their debts? One client is ignoring all my emails, another one said he had sent the cheque, but a week after still there is no cheque.

Direct link Reply with quote

Rosalind Lobo  Identity Verified
Local time: 03:34
French to English
send someone over Nov 24, 2004

Hi, Lenah:
It appears that - at least in the 2nd case - the client does not have any issues with the work you completed (in terms of quality, etc.).
One very useful tip I picked up at the recent ATA conference in Toronto is: if you know someone who lives in the city where the client is based, consider asking that person to visit the client's office & pick up the cheque. Obviously, you would give the client advance notice that that person will be coming in so they can have the cheque ready. And the added advantage of this is: it would be hard for them to ignore a real live person (hopefully your contact wouldnt have to stage a sit-in!).
Good luck with that.
RL

Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 09:34
English to German
+ ...
Post a BlueBoard entry Nov 24, 2004

Hi Lenah,
Sorry to hear that you're experiencing problems. I take it you received a proper purchase order (PO), and issued an invoice?

Also, did you check the BlueBoard before taking on the job? You may want to share your experience by posting an entry for the outsourcers involved. If an outsourcer isn't listed, you can create a new BB record.

Best regards,
Ralf

United Kingdom
Member (2004)
English to Indonesian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks for the advice! Nov 24, 2004

rozlobo wrote:

Hi, Lenah:
It appears that - at least in the 2nd case - the client does not have any issues with the work you completed (in terms of quality, etc.).
One very useful tip I picked up at the recent ATA conference in Toronto is: if you know someone who lives in the city where the client is based, consider asking that person to visit the client's office & pick up the cheque. Obviously, you would give the client advance notice that that person will be coming in so they can have the cheque ready. And the added advantage of this is: it would be hard for them to ignore a real live person (hopefully your contact wouldnt have to stage a sit-in!).
Good luck with that.
RL

United Kingdom
Member (2004)
English to Indonesian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
thanks for the advice! Nov 24, 2004

Thanks! I think I should go there myself now! I am so annoyed. It's just whne they needed me to do the translations, tehy were very prompt in replying emails, etc, but when it comes to payment reminder, no one seems to care!

United Kingdom
Member (2004)
English to Indonesian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks and yes I did have PO and have issued an invoice! Nov 24, 2004

But for one company I didnot check the blueboard first! It was my mistake, for the other one I think I will threaten him that I will post his name in the bad outsourcer!

Germany
English to German
+ ...
No blackmailing, please Nov 25, 2004

Hi Lenah,

But for one company I didnot check the blueboard first! It was my mistake, for the other one I think I will threaten him that I will post his name in the bad outsourcer!

Please refrain from using the BlueBoard to 'blackmail' an outsourcer. Of course you can indicate your intention to do so, but we'd appreciate if you could do this in a more neutral manner. Likewise, we ask outsourcers not to exert pressure on members who have posted an entry.

You may want to check the BB FAQ for general reference.

Best regards,
Ralf

Williamson  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Flemish to English
+ ...
Buy a ticket Nov 25, 2004

Take my car, a train or buy a Ryanair, Easyjet, AirBerlin, VirginExpress ticket to pick up the check at their door, so that it will not get "lost" in the mail.
By the way, are there any cheap flights from Europe to the USA. If the price of a ticket is low enough, would hesitate to jump over from Europe to the US.

[Edited at 2004-11-25 08:15]

United Kingdom
Member (2004)
English to Indonesian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
at the end I will be moneyless Nov 25, 2004

Frankly speaking, airplane tickets will cost me more than the translation fee! If I have to knock on every client's door then I cannot see any point for using internet!

United Kingdom
Member (2004)
English to Indonesian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Gently push Nov 25, 2004

[Please refrain from using the BlueBoard to 'blackmail' an outsourcer}.

Oh no, of course not a blackmail..it would be more a gently push. However others translators also deserve to know if an outsourcer has a history of non-payment! If the gently push does not work either, if you were me, what would you do?

Germany
English to German
+ ...
BlueBoard entry Nov 25, 2004

Hi again,
Oh no, of course not a blackmail..it would be more a gently push. However others translators also deserve to know if an outsourcer has a history of non-payment!

Which is why I suggested posting an entry.

If the gently push does not work either, if you were me, what would you do?

There's no general answer for that, I'm afraid - it very much depends on the amount of money involved vs. the potential legal and other costs for forcing collection, the documentation you have and the jurisdictions involved.

Search the forums for "collection agency" to find some more info.

Best regards,
Ralf

xxxHirschmann  Identity Verified
English to German
+ ...
I threatened to prohibit their client to use my translation Nov 26, 2004

At the beginning of the 90's, I had the following unpleasant experience:

1. From a large translation agency, I received a written PO for a project where I should perform the entire localization of a software package and translate all related documents from English to German.

2. After I finished this work, I sent all software and document files back, accompanied by the related invoice.

3. Shortly thereafter, I received an e-mail message telling that they refused to pay my invoice because - as they lied - "Ms. XXXX YYYY from our office in ZZZZ has called you a few weeks ago, asking you to stop the project because our client has canceled his order".

4. I was sure that the whole thing was a fraud and that the agency just wanted to save the money they owed me (around USD 20,000).

5. As I knew the name and address of the client and its German subsidiary, I threatened the agency to prohibit their client's German subsidiary to make use of my localization and translation for which I had copyright according to German copyright law, and that I wouldn't even hesitate to denounce the managing director of their client's German subsidiary because of copyright infringement which is a crime in Germany and can be punished with jail.

6. The translation agency paid my invoice, and I never heard anything again from these lousy crooks.

United Kingdom
Member (2004)
English to Indonesian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Good idea Nov 27, 2004

It's a good idea. I will remember it. Thanks

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

When clients do not pay

Advanced search

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search