Robert Kleemaier  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 01:26
Member (2004)
Dutch to English
+ ...
May 23, 2014

Dear colleagues,

A company specializing in football/soccer translations has approached me regarding participation in their pool of translators, transcribers and proofreaders/editors. Needless to say, with the World Cup in Brazil coming up this could be a fun, interesting and potentially worthwhile project to be involved in, especially in light of the fact that this topic is right up my alley.

My question revolves around the rate of compensation. They quote a rate "per raw minute of footage" which is something I'm not familiar with, as I usually charge on a per-word basis. What is the going rate for translation and proofreading/editing, respectively, based on "raw minute of footage"?

Your prompt feedback will be most appreciated.

Cheers,
R.

philgoddard
United States
Member (2009)
German to English
+ ...
We've been discussing this very recently... May 23, 2014

but I can't find the thread.
What exactly are you translating? Commentary? I would have thought proofreading should be on a per-word basis.

[Edited at 2014-05-23 21:46 GMT]

Robert Kleemaier  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 01:26
Member (2004)
Dutch to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Various stuff May 23, 2014

Thanks for replying, Phil. Mostly transcribed interviews, but also press conference transcripts will be up for translation, and the turnaround time is, of course, 'yesterday'. HTH.

Jack Doughty  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 09:26
Member (2000)
Russian to English
+ ...
Yesterday May 24, 2014

I actually received a request on 19th May for something to be completed by end of business on 18th May. No doubt an error, but not one that inspired me with confidence.

Tina Vonhof
Canada
Local time: 02:26
Member (2006)
Dutch to English
+ ...
Per word May 24, 2014

'Per raw minute of footage' sounds like the transcription rate. If you are proofreading, I think you should charge your usual per word or per hour rate.

Natalia Mackevich  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 09:26
English to Russian
+ ...
I second that. May 24, 2014

Tina Vonhof wrote:

'Per raw minute of footage' sounds like the transcription rate. If you are proofreading, I think you should charge your usual per word or per hour rate.

Per minute of audio/video: I'd say transcription or translation (if they don't need transcription in certain cases).
Per word or per hour: editing and/or proofreading.
I assume the agency wants to know their expences per minute of footage in advance. Well, they can come up with an estimate based on how good the team is.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Football/soccer proofreading rates

Advanced search

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »
SDL Trados Studio 2019 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2019 has evolved to bring translators a brand new experience. Designed with user experience at its core, Studio 2019 transforms how new users get up and running and helps experienced users make the most of the powerful features.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search