Statistics of fees
Thread poster: KatV

KatV
Finland
Local time: 02:27
May 29, 2014

Hello.
Where can I find some sort of statistics of fees that have been paid to translators per word/page/project/book of a certain length? It would make it easier for me to estimate what I should ask for.
Some translators say they ask for 5-10€ per page, some say 20-45€, so that's not really helping. I know it has an effect whether you're translating to or from your mother tongue and if you have to translate special terminology etc.
(My project would be a 500-page literary work that includes SOME special vocabulary, but does not consist entirely of it and I would be translating away from my mother tongue. Any suggestions of what has been paid for similar works before are also welcome...)
Thank you very much.

philgoddard
United States
Member (2009)
German to English
+ ...
. May 29, 2014

There is a feature somewhere on ProZ where people enter their fees. I think an important first step would be charge by the word, since the length of a page can vary enormously.
You shouldn't translate out of your mother tongue unless you're extremely proficient in the target language. Very few people are - I know I'm not.

[Edited at 2014-05-29 21:33 GMT]

TB CommuniCAT  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 19:27
Member (2014)
English to French
Rate on Proz May 29, 2014

[quote]philgoddard wrote:

There is a feature somewhere on ProZ where people enter their fees.

It is under Tools > Community rates

This should give you an idea

pkpabst  Identity Verified
Dominican Republic
Local time: 20:27
French to English
+ ...
Mother-tongue translations Jun 21, 2014

I do really think that it would be unprofessional to translate a literary work not in your mother tongue. You can't have the mastery of vocabulary and nuance - even most native speakers of a language don't have what it takes to be good writersicon_wink.gif.

philgoddard wrote:

There is a feature somewhere on ProZ where people enter their fees. I think an important first step would be charge by the word, since the length of a page can vary enormously.
You shouldn't translate out of your mother tongue unless you're extremely proficient in the target language. Very few people are - I know I'm not.

[Edited at 2014-05-29 21:33 GMT]

Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 01:27
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
@pkpabst Jun 21, 2014

pkpabst wrote:
I do really think that it would be unprofessional to translate a literary work not in your mother tongue.

Do I understand you correctly that you believe that translators of literary works should always translate into a non-native language?

Susan Welsh  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 19:27
Member (2008)
Russian to English
+ ...
proz feature Jun 24, 2014

The proz feature that tells you community rates is accessible only to paid members, if I'm not mistaken. I always take these things with a certain grain of salt, however, because people may say their rates are such-and-such, but when it comes down to the wire, they may charge less if they don't have work at the moment, so ACTUAL fees may differ.

On the topic of charging by word or by page: Clients that want to pay by the page, in my experience, don't just mean any page of any length, but some sort of standard. In Russia, a page is 1800 characters. Germany has a different standard, I don't remember what. So you need to figure out what is meant specifically by your client, and charge accordingly according to your per-word rate.

Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 01:27
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Not only available for members Jun 24, 2014

Susan Welsh wrote:
The Proz.com feature that tells you community rates is accessible only to paid members, if I'm not mistaken.

That is easy to test. Simply copy the link to your second browser (the one that you don't use for logging in to ProZ.com). As it turns out, the community rates are visible to the public.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Statistics of fees

Advanced search

memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search