Thread poster: Anne Lee

Anne Lee  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 16:10
Member (2003)
Dutch to English
+ ...
Jun 2, 2014

When an agency with a dubious payment record approached me to do a translation this morning, I demanded full payment in advance. They duly sent me a pdf of what looked like a bank transfer from their account to mine (in the same country). Several hours later, the payment still hasn't reached my account. How can you tell that a proof of payment is real? Naturally I will not deliver my translation until the money has reached my account, but I wonder whether there is any way of distinguishing a real proof of payment from a fake one. Many years ago I was fooled by a fake proof of payment and I don't want to get caught out again, but it can be hard to tell when I am not familiar with communications from that particular bank.

Charlotte Farrell  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2013)
German to English
+ ...
Speak to your bank Jun 2, 2014

If the money still hasn't reached your account by tomorrow morning, speak to your bank and see if they can give you any advice. They should be able to check the validity of the proof of payment and check to see if such an amount is on it's way to your account.

Andrea Halbritter  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 17:10
Member (2014)
French to German
+ ...
The client's bank Jun 2, 2014

In France some banks of clients send me a mail when they have transfered the money to my bank, maybe this is possible in your country as well?

Other possibility: Get paid by paypal in the future...

lisa kramer taruschio  Identity Verified
United States
Italian to English
Email Proof of Payment Jun 2, 2014

In the past, when I found myself in the situation you have described, I phoned my bank and spoke to one of the officers/cashiers who knew me and my account and she suggested I call the client and ask them to email her (by name) at the bank with copy to me and verify that payment had been sent. Maybe something like that would work.

[Edited at 2014-06-02 23:57 GMT]

Jorge Herran  Identity Verified
Peru
Local time: 10:10
English to Spanish
I think that phone to the bank is a good idea. Jun 3, 2014

I think that phone to the bank is a good idea, they will guide / advice / instruct you regarding the best course of action in order to check if the transfer is real.

kind regards

Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Not much you can do... Jun 3, 2014

Anne Lee wrote:
I demanded full payment in advance. They duly sent me a PDF of what looked like a bank transfer from their account to mine (in the same country). Several hours later, the payment still hasn't reached my account.

Perhaps if you tell us from what bank this is, then anyone here who banks with that bank can tell you whether it looks real or not.

Is this an automatically generated PDF (i.e. from electronic transfer) or is it a piece of paper that was scanned to PDF?

Steven Segaert
Estonia
Local time: 18:10
Member (2012)
English to Dutch
+ ...
Same country doesn't mean fast Jun 3, 2014

Here in Estonia, payments used to reach us in minutes. With the introduction of the SEPA-system, it now takes a day.

I would just start working. If it is not there in 24 hours from the time indicated on the pdf, you can start wondering.

United Kingdom
Member (2003)
Dutch to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks for all the replies Jun 3, 2014

Thanks for the useful suggestions. The money is not in my account but two things happened.
The agency sent me a new extract that was more convincing than the previous one, with the heading of the bank. In addition, my bank told me that it takes up to 2 days for a transfer to be credited in Belgium, which is much longer than in England. I already carried out the translation yesterday and I have delivered it today. It gave a little additional time for proofreading.

Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Oh, so this is an international transfer? Jun 3, 2014

Anne Lee wrote:
My bank told me that it takes up to 2 days for a transfer to be credited in Belgium, which is much longer than in England.

Oh, so this is an international transfer, and the sender's bank is in Belgium.

Sheila Wilson  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2007)
English
+ ...
Not necessarily secure Jun 3, 2014

Andrea Halbritter wrote:
Get paid by paypal in the future...

There have been instances of "clients" who have taken advantage of PayPal's customer protection policy by claiming they never received the goods/services. PayPal then refunds their money by taking it back from you. In theory I imagine you could get it sorted if you have proof of delivery but it could get nasty.

Personally, I would simply have stipulated that I needed confirmation from either my bank or theirs that the transfer had been done (i.e. an email from their bank, or an entry in my account, or assurance from my bank that they can see it in my account even if I can't yet). A PDF used to imply it was a "real" copy - it certainly means nothing of the sort nowadays.

United Kingdom
Member (2003)
Dutch to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
not international Jun 3, 2014

No, I also have an account in Belgium. I used it to speed things up. I agree that PayPal would have been perfect so I'll do it that way in future.

Daryo
United Kingdom
Serbian to English
+ ...
the only proof of payment Jun 3, 2014

is when your bank tells you that money is in your account and available.
Anything else means zilch, in PDF format or any other.
If this agency has shoot itself in the foot by getting a reputation as bad payer, and needs a translation urgently, they can pay an additional fee for almost instantaneous transfer - money can be in your account in minutes.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Proof of payment real or fake?

Advanced search

SDL Trados Studio 2017 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2017 helps translators increase translation productivity whilst ensuring quality. Combining translation memory, terminology management and machine translation in one simple and easy-to-use environment.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search