L.Lepetit  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 07:20
Member (2013)
English to French
+ ...
Jun 5, 2014

Hi everyone,
I have a client in the UK (I don’t know if I’m allowed to give its name here), that doesn’t answer my emails, that doesn’t answer on skype and the same for phone.
He had to pay me on 17th May, but since then, he refuses to answer me and no payment has been issued.
Since he was not on the BB, I’ve created an entry and I’m going to make a negative comment, but I’d like to know what I can do to be paid.
Could you help me ?
Thanks a lot.
Laetitia

Mariana Lantzet
United Kingdom
Local time: 06:20
English to Hebrew
+ ...
Advice for conflict resolution Jun 5, 2014

From personal bad experience: depending on your agreed terms with them, the debt is not overdue long enough, in my view, for you to be able to take proper action as yet. I suggest you persevere, trying to phone them and write in the hope of getting a written reaction (and take notes of the conversatios + ask for confirmation of promisses in writing).

Down the line - you can try to approach the UK Police. I have done so successfully with the police in another EU country, and received my money eventually, though the process it took one whole year. Unfortunately, I have not found a mechanism by which you can take to 'small claims' someone in another EU country. If you do find such a mechanism, I would be very grateful to find out about it too.

Dont give up, and make sure they have no cause for complaint about the delivery deadline or the standard of your work.

Good luck

Mariana

Sheila Wilson  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2007)
English
+ ...
Are they still solvent? Jun 5, 2014

Check them on the Companies Register first - no point doing anything except registering your claim if they're in receivership.

You'll need to send a final demand by registered post before you take any other legal action. The receipt of delivery followed by a period of silence is proof of unwillness to pay. SCC is Europe-wide nowadays and can be done online. The simplest form is the European Payment Order. Once completed online it can be printed or saved as a PDF. I sent one to a client once and he paid as he could seee I waasn't going to give up.

France
Member (2013)
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
thanks Jun 5, 2014

@Mariana:
thanks for your answer. I know they were very staisfied with what I did and I was never late in my delivery, so no problem with that.
In fact, I have doubts as to whether I'll be paid because they don't answer me anymore, whereas in the past it was not the case. I mean, while I was working with them, if I sent an email/Skype, I had an answer in the next few hours. And now, nothing... .

@Sheila:
thanks for your answer.
Where can I find the companies register you're telling me about?
What is SCC?
Sorry for these questions you may find stupid, but that's the first time this situation has happened to me and I don't know anything about all this.
I also think your suggestion is the best.
Waiting for your answer.
Laetitia

Sheila Wilson  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2007)
English
+ ...
details Jun 5, 2014

The UK companies register is online under that name or under comanies house or similar (may be under company of course). SCC is short for small claims court.

France
Member (2013)
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
thanks Jun 5, 2014

so kind of you to answer so fast!!!
Thanks a lot.
Laetitia

Karen Stokes  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2003)
French to English
Companies House Jun 6, 2014

Here's the link: http://wck2.companieshouse.gov.uk//wcframe?name=accessCompanyInfo

Good luck!

Armorel Young  Identity Verified
German to English
Write Jun 6, 2014

As others have said, if the client isn't replying to phone calls or emails, you have no option but to write, preferably by registered post.

I would first post a copy of the invoice, marked in red "This invoice is overdue for payment", with a covering letter firmly reminding them that they should have paid you by now.

A week or a fortnight later, follow this up with a stiff, formal letter saying that you will be "commencing action through the courts" or "placing the matter in the hands of your solicitor" if you don't receive payment within the next ten days. The fact that you aren't actually sure what action to take is absolutely no bar to sounding as threatening as you can!

Bernhard Sulzer  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 01:20
English to German
+ ...
Email about BB entry Jun 6, 2014

supermummy wrote:

Since he was not on the BB, I’ve created an entry and I’m going to make a negative comment, but I’d like to know what I can do to be paid.
Could you help me ?
Thanks a lot.
Laetitia

Did you warn him by email that you are about to enter a negative comment on the BB and also, as long as he contacted you through Proz.com, report him to Proz.com staff and ask them to intervene on your behalf and, in any case, reserve any rights to immediate legal action?
He might reply/react to an email like that. It's worth a try.

If he has a Proz.com profile, send the email through the Proz.com email system.

B

[Edited at 2014-06-06 16:52 GMT]

France
Member (2013)
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
BB Jun 6, 2014

Of course I warned him I was going to enter a negative comment, but it seems he doesn't mind!!!!
I also warned him I was going to take legal action, but still no answer from him.

could you help me, how can I do to ask Proz.com staff to intervene in my behlaf?
Thanks
Laetitia

Bernhard Sulzer  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 01:20
English to German
+ ...
Support Jun 6, 2014

supermummy wrote:

could you help me, how can I do to ask Proz.com staff to intervene in my behlaf?
Thanks
Laetitia

Submit a support ticket.
Good luck,
Bernhard

Andrea Halbritter  Identity Verified
France
Member (2014)
French to German
+ ...
Only 3 weeks... Jun 9, 2014

Quite a while ago I had seen a statistic about payment in Europe. To be paid one or even two months late seems unfortunately to be normal...

I'd still wait two weeks and then send a mail by registered post...

The last client who paid me late was actually in hospital...

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

debt from a client in the UK

Advanced search

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
BaccS – Business Accounting Software
Modern desktop project management for freelance translators

BaccS makes it easy for translators to manage their projects, schedule tasks, create invoices, and view highly customizable reports. User-friendly, ProZ.com integration, community-driven development – a few reasons BaccS is trusted by translators!

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search