How to charge for subtitles when you only have the number of minutes of footage as data
Thread poster: ChalmersPreire

ChalmersPreire  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 18:56
Member (2012)
French to English
+ ...
Jun 5, 2014

Greetings to you all!

I have a regular customer (a communications agency) who has asked me for a quote for a job. It's for an institutional video (well 2, actually) and the only information she can give me is that one will be about 2-4 minutes long and the other 15-20 minutes. As this is what the end client is asking her for and the text hasn't been written yet she can't give me any more to work on.

So, basically, mmy question is "how does one convert minutes of video into words?"

I hope someone can help me out here because I am at a loss ...

Thanks in advance for any help you can give me.


 

philgoddard
United States
Member (2009)
German to English
+ ...
I don't think you can. Jun 5, 2014

It could be a Spanish football commentator speaking 400 words a minute, or a few words of commentary in a video consisting largely of pictures. All you can do is give them a rate per word and/or per hour.

Otherwise it's a bit like asking someone to quote for painting your house without telling them how big the house is.


 

Juan Jacob  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 11:56
French to Spanish
+ ...
I'll try in English. Jun 5, 2014

1.- See philgoddard comment, of course;

2.- Did the client asked you to do the subtitles (And, can you do it?) or just the whole translation (not suitable for subtitling because of timing, scenes changes, etc. And that would be quite strange, because somebody else will have to do the "real" subtitling... and also could do the translation)?;

3.- Generally speaking, this job is payed per subtitle or per minute footage. (So, get informed about normal fees in France/Europe)

Good luck.

[Editado a las 2014-06-05 18:34 GMT]


 

Joakim Braun  Identity Verified
Sweden
Local time: 18:56
German to Swedish
+ ...
You can't Jun 5, 2014

If these are one-off productions, there is no way that you can set a price beforehand.

If the agency is "serious" they'll understand your predicament.
I'd suggest charging by the subtitle. If they don't like that, decline the job.


 

ChalmersPreire  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 18:56
Member (2012)
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you Jun 6, 2014

This is what I was thinking. Thank you for your help

Joakim Braun wrote:

If these are one-off productions, there is no way that you can set a price beforehand.

If the agency is "serious" they'll understand your predicament.
I'd suggest charging by the subtitle. If they don't like that, decline the job.


 

ChalmersPreire  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 18:56
Member (2012)
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you Jun 6, 2014

You've helped to put this into perspective for me.

Many years ago, I was a tech writer. One day, my boss asked me how long it would take for me to write a manual - no details available - just "a manual". You'd think I'd have remembered thaticon_smile.gif

Thanks again!

philgoddard wrote:

It could be a Spanish football commentator speaking 400 words a minute, or a few words of commentary in a video consisting largely of pictures. All you can do is give them a rate per word and/or per hour.

Otherwise it's a bit like asking someone to quote for painting your house without telling them how big the house is.


 

ChalmersPreire  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 18:56
Member (2012)
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank youi Jun 6, 2014

Juan Jacob wrote:

1.- See philgoddard comment, of course;

2.- Did the client asked you to do the subtitles (And, can you do it?) or just the whole translation (not suitable for subtitling because of timing, scenes changes, etc. And that would be quite strange, because somebody else will have to do the "real" subtitling... and also could do the translation)?;

3.- Generally speaking, this job is payed per subtitle or per minute footage. (So, get informed about normal fees in France/Europe)

Good luck.

[Editado a las 2014-06-05 18:34 GMT]


 

ChalmersPreire  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 18:56
Member (2012)
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you Jun 6, 2014

You have probably given me more food for thought than you realize. I now know how I'm going to tackle this. You have been very helpful, thank you.


Juan Jacob wrote:

1.- See philgoddard comment, of course;

2.- Did the client asked you to do the subtitles (And, can you do it?) or just the whole translation (not suitable for subtitling because of timing, scenes changes, etc. And that would be quite strange, because somebody else will have to do the "real" subtitling... and also could do the translation)?;

3.- Generally speaking, this job is payed per subtitle or per minute footage. (So, get informed about normal fees in France/Europe)

Good luck.

[Editado a las 2014-06-05 18:34 GMT]


 


To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:


You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How to charge for subtitles when you only have the number of minutes of footage as data

Advanced search







CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »
PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »



Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search