Thread poster: Mandy K
Mandy K
Mandy K
Local time: 18:05
English to Arabic
+ ...
Jul 8, 2014

Hello all,

My question is specific to the UK regarding transcription rates of audio material per minute.

It will be very helpful if someone with experience could advise me about the average rate of transcription per minute in the same language, and transcription per minute from one language to another language.

For example, the audio is in Arabic and it is requested that you transcribe it into English. in this case would you charge per minute or per word,
... See more
Hello all,

My question is specific to the UK regarding transcription rates of audio material per minute.

It will be very helpful if someone with experience could advise me about the average rate of transcription per minute in the same language, and transcription per minute from one language to another language.

For example, the audio is in Arabic and it is requested that you transcribe it into English. in this case would you charge per minute or per word, and how much in average for the UK market?

Thank you very much. Take care
Collapse

Michelle Kusuda
Michelle Kusuda  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 13:05
English to Spanish
+ ...
Some factos to take into consideration... Jul 9, 2014

Hi Mandy,

I do not know what the rates would be in the UK, but here are some points to consider:

Very experienced transcriptionists consider a 4:1 ratio for preparation of a transcript. Four hours of work for 1 hour of audio. It is not just typing down the audio, it also has to be provided in the correct format and proofread. That example is for excellent audio and excellent transcription skills.

Transcription from one language into another is just an at
... See more
Hi Mandy,

I do not know what the rates would be in the UK, but here are some points to consider:

Very experienced transcriptionists consider a 4:1 ratio for preparation of a transcript. Four hours of work for 1 hour of audio. It is not just typing down the audio, it also has to be provided in the correct format and proofread. That example is for excellent audio and excellent transcription skills.

Transcription from one language into another is just an attempt by the client to save money. Those types of jobs are better left untouched.

Always transcribe audio first then translate it.

In the US, agencies charge clients the following rates:

Translation (Recorded Minute) Arabic/English [Arabic Audio into Written English] **$84.00/minute

Translation (Hour + Word) Arabic/English [Arabic Audio into Written English] **$52.34/hour + $0.26/word

Translation (Word) Arabic/English [Language Arabic Audio into Written English] **$0.45/word

Translation of documents from Arabic to English or English to Arabic (Documents of a scientific, legal, technical, medical, or engineering nature.) **$106.87/page

Translation of documents from Arabic to English or English to Arabic (Non-Technical.) **$76.00/page

Translation of documents from Arabic to English or English to Arabic (Documents of a scientific, legal, technical, medical, or engineering nature.) **$0.43/word

Translation of documents from Arabic to English or English to Arabic (Non-Technical.) **$0.30/word

I hope that helps you.

I know for direct client prices for 1 hour audio is about $2,900.00 for bilingual transcript for Spanish.

[Edited at 2014-07-09 21:30 GMT]

[Edited at 2014-07-09 21:30 GMT]
Collapse

LilianNekipelov
LilianNekipelov  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 13:05
Russian to English
+ ...
hi. I do a lot of work for Jul 9, 2014

British companies. The rates are about $7.00/min. ($5,00-10.00), but $7 is the average and descent.

As to the rates quoted above-- I think they might have meant $8.45/min not per hour.

In hour of audio takes usually the whole day.
They cannot deny any payment if there is a word skipped, or even a few of them--they may just ask you to keep correcting it until it's perfect. If you are transcribing into another language translating really, they cannot tell you th
... See more
British companies. The rates are about $7.00/min. ($5,00-10.00), but $7 is the average and descent.

As to the rates quoted above-- I think they might have meant $8.45/min not per hour.

In hour of audio takes usually the whole day.
They cannot deny any payment if there is a word skipped, or even a few of them--they may just ask you to keep correcting it until it's perfect. If you are transcribing into another language translating really, they cannot tell you that a word was skipped--it depends what type of word--perhaps it had to be skipped to preserve the meaning. you cannot translate anything word for word.

I've done a lot of videos--usually for some documentaries, but the rates are the same, although just audio is harder.

[Edited at 2014-07-09 15:31 GMT]
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Transcriptions rates in the UK

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »