Salary negotiation for full time work in diplomatic translation
Thread poster: Proofrock
Proofrock
Proofrock
United Kingdom
Spanish to English
Jul 9, 2014

Hello all, long time lurker here. I have been working freelance as a Spanish-English translator and interpreter part time for a few years and have just been offered a full time job as in-house translator and interpreter at an embassy in London. Negotiating an adequate salary for a full-time job is new to me, as, like many of us, I've only ever worked independently and billed per word, per hour or per day, and my salaried employment experience isn't in translation. Do you have any suggestions fo... See more
Hello all, long time lurker here. I have been working freelance as a Spanish-English translator and interpreter part time for a few years and have just been offered a full time job as in-house translator and interpreter at an embassy in London. Negotiating an adequate salary for a full-time job is new to me, as, like many of us, I've only ever worked independently and billed per word, per hour or per day, and my salaried employment experience isn't in translation. Do you have any suggestions for what kind of figure would be appropriate? If it's relevant, I have a DPSI and a PhD (not in translation/linguistics, but in a related field). Many thanks in advance!Collapse

Sheila Wilson
Sheila Wilson  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 00:31
Member (2007)
English
+ ...
Good luck! Jul 9, 2014

I wouldn't want it myself, but congratulations on (hopefully) landing what you want. An embassy in London: that sounds well-paid; probably ought to be quite a bit higher than in-house for an agency outside London.

I can't help as I left my salaried job (in IT) when I left the UK back in 1993. But I just Googled for translator salary London and the first page looks to have some useful links, especially the GlassDoor one, which
... See more
I wouldn't want it myself, but congratulations on (hopefully) landing what you want. An embassy in London: that sounds well-paid; probably ought to be quite a bit higher than in-house for an agency outside London.

I can't help as I left my salaried job (in IT) when I left the UK back in 1993. But I just Googled for translator salary London and the first page looks to have some useful links, especially the GlassDoor one, which I believe is a reputable (or at least, well-known) site.
Collapse

Phil Hand
Phil Hand  Identity Verified
China
Local time: 07:31
Chinese to English
Compare UN rates? Jul 9, 2014

The EU and UN are the big employers of interpreters, and their rates can be found online, I believe.
If you know how to bill by the word, then you've done all the calculations before. The difference is that you have to work out what the non-salary benefits are worth (to you).

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 00:31
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
EU translator salaries Jul 9, 2014

http://ec.europa.eu/dgs/translation/workwithus/staff/permanent/index_en.htm

LilianNekipelov
LilianNekipelov  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 19:31
Russian to English
+ ...
About $75,000-95,000, Jul 9, 2014

my guess would be. (full time)

Proofrock
Proofrock
United Kingdom
Spanish to English
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you! Jul 9, 2014

Many thanks for your replies, everyone!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Salary negotiation for full time work in diplomatic translation

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »