Amal Al-Arfaj
Saudi Arabia
Local time: 16:38
Member (2005)
English to Arabic
+ ...
Dec 2, 2004

Hello everybody!

I recently translated a document for a client. He used to answer my emails at once. Now that I have finished the work, he is not answering any of my emails. I didn't send him the work yet, though.

It has been over 3 weeks since I was in contact with him. His profile doesn't show any contacting details but that email address.

What should I do? Can I write about him in the Blue Board?
I didn't get paid but at the same time, he didn't r
... See more
Hello everybody!

I recently translated a document for a client. He used to answer my emails at once. Now that I have finished the work, he is not answering any of my emails. I didn't send him the work yet, though.

It has been over 3 weeks since I was in contact with him. His profile doesn't show any contacting details but that email address.

I didn't get paid but at the same time, he didn't receive the work.
Collapse

Ralf Lemster
Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 15:38
English to German
+ ...
Try alternative routes of contact Dec 2, 2004

Hi Sandra,

Have you tried calling him, or sending a letter by snail mail?

I didn't get paid but at the same time, he didn't receive the work.

You can post an entry, but may I suggest to try contact alternatives first.

HTH, Ralf

Mathew Robinson
Mathew Robinson
United Kingdom
Local time: 14:38
English
email address Dec 2, 2004

If the client's email address is a registered domain (i.e. [email protected]) you could try doing a 'who is' search or 'reverse DNS look-up' online and see if it comes up with a registered address (note: if the domain was registered through an agent, you will only get the agent's address).

www.samspade.org is one of many sites that provide su
... See more
If the client's email address is a registered domain (i.e. [email protected]) you could try doing a 'who is' search or 'reverse DNS look-up' online and see if it comes up with a registered address (note: if the domain was registered through an agent, you will only get the agent's address).

www.samspade.org is one of many sites that provide such a service free of charge.
Collapse

Schwabamädle
Schwabamädle
Canada
Local time: 09:38
English to German
+ ...
This tool is great! Thanks TechTrans Dec 2, 2004

I just put it under my favourite.

Thanks so much!

Tschüssle,
Andrea

[Edited at 2004-12-02 18:01]

Dear Sandra,

I would just wait a little and try to find out more. Did you type his name into google? Sometimes people go on holidays and so on. I would wait another 2 weeks just in case.

But really, it is disturbing after working hard. Well maybe it will work out. The other day I gave a company heck for nothing and it mad
... See more
I just put it under my favourite.

Thanks so much!

Tschüssle,
Andrea

[Edited at 2004-12-02 18:01]

Dear Sandra,

I would just wait a little and try to find out more. Did you type his name into google? Sometimes people go on holidays and so on. I would wait another 2 weeks just in case.

But really, it is disturbing after working hard. Well maybe it will work out. The other day I gave a company heck for nothing and it made me feel like hiding under a carpet.

Good luck to you!
Andrea

[Edited at 2004-12-02 18:18]
Collapse

Sandrine Martins
Sandrine Martins  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 14:38
French to Portuguese
+ ...
Keep on Dec 2, 2004

Hello Sandra,

I just have the same problem of you with a client. I confess that I'm little panic. Today I called him and his secretary that he would answer me and pay me a.s.a.p. I'm going to wait a little more but in my case I give the work and should be paid 1 month ago. If he insist in not calling me back or paying me, I'm thinking in a few things to do:

- first of all, contacting the Association of Portuguese Translators (they'll send an email to every translator re
... See more
Hello Sandra,

I just have the same problem of you with a client. I confess that I'm little panic. Today I called him and his secretary that he would answer me and pay me a.s.a.p. I'm going to wait a little more but in my case I give the work and should be paid 1 month ago. If he insist in not calling me back or paying me, I'm thinking in a few things to do:

- first of all, contacting the Association of Portuguese Translators (they'll send an email to every translator registaded to do not accept some work of this agency and try to sue him)

- my chance is that I know for whom it was this translation work,I mean the name and address of his client. May be I'll tell them what happend...

But it's just some suggestions and I really don't want to do that. In the past, I use to be paid on time. Something a little preasure is good.

Good luck Sandra!
Collapse

Ralf Lemster
Germany
English to German
+ ...
BlueBoard Dec 3, 2004

Hi Sandrine,
Have you posted an entry on the BlueBoard?

Best regards,
Ralf

Amal Al-Arfaj
Amal Al-Arfaj
Saudi Arabia
Member (2005)
English to Arabic
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks! Dec 3, 2004

First of all, thank you all for your kind replies. I would like to point out that I am not a new member here and I've handled lots of translation works - all paid till now. Of course, we were communicating directly by my email. The last email I got from him was on 6th of Nov.

I contacted the company in his email address ([email protected]) I think I have translated one of their programs. I sent them a very kind email but they did not reply until today.

Yesterday, I sear
... See more
First of all, thank you all for your kind replies. I would like to point out that I am not a new member here and I've handled lots of translation works - all paid till now. Of course, we were communicating directly by my email. The last email I got from him was on 6th of Nov.

I contacted the company in his email address ([email protected]) I think I have translated one of their programs. I sent them a very kind email but they did not reply until today.

Yesterday, I searched in Google. Nothing about him.

Hmm that will leave me the phone call for the company. I hope I won't need that. I am in Saudi Arabia and they are in the US. Minute costs a lot and they might tell me that they don't know what I'm talking about or that it's none of their business.

By the way, he is an Outsourcer affiliation, and No I didn't put an entry in the Blue Board.

What makes me really angry that I was working on that document along with my other documents and spent longer hours everyday in order to finish it really soon.

[Edited at 2004-12-03 11:02]

[Edited at 2004-12-03 11:03]
Collapse

Ralf Lemster
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Phone & Blueboard Dec 3, 2004

Hi again,
Hmm that will leave me the phone call for the company. I hope I won't need that. I am in Saudi Arabia and they are in the US. Minute costs a lot and they might tell me that they don't know what I'm talking about or that it's none of their business.

Always worth a try - for starters, you could send them a fax, or use snail mail.

By the way, he is an Outsourcer affiliation,

...not sure what you mean by that? Are you saying that the profile is linked to a BlueBoard record?

and No I didn't put an entry in the Blue Board.

Why not? Sometimes this gets outsourcers into motion. If their ProZ.com profile is linked to the BB record, they will be notified through their profile.

Just be matter-of-fact when you're posting - sometimes it's just a technical issue. Maybe it's more than that.

Best regards,
Ralf

Amal Al-Arfaj
Amal Al-Arfaj
Saudi Arabia
Member (2005)
English to Arabic
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
will call them Dec 4, 2004

...not sure what you mean by that? Are you saying that the profile is linked to a BlueBoard record?

yes.

Why not? Sometimes this gets outsourcers into motion. If their ProZ.com profile is linked to the BB record, they will be notified through their profile.

I've never put an entry before. What should I say? This person neither paid me nor took his work?

I will call the company this Monday as they open and will see what they will say

Thanks
Sandra

Ralf Lemster
Germany
English to German
+ ...
State your experience Dec 4, 2004

Hi Sandra,
I've never put an entry before.

Well, I guess there's a first time for everything...

What should I say? This person neither paid me nor took his work?

You posted in this forum that the outsourcer placed the job with you, then ceased to communicate. Why not say it there?

If you're unsure, contact me through my profile.

Best regards,
Ralf

Amal Al-Arfaj
Amal Al-Arfaj
Saudi Arabia
Member (2005)
English to Arabic
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Finally Dec 10, 2004

After calling the company and leaving a message on the answer machine 4 days ago, they have just replied to my email.
"He is on a leave", they said and I must wait until he returns, so the "process might be temporary on pause".

Oh well, I'm not going anywhere

Ralf Lemster
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Send a reminder Dec 10, 2004

Hi again,
Assuming that you sent an invoice (preferably by mail, not by e-mail), you should issue a reminder (definitely by mail, preferably by registered mail), setting a deadline. Being on leave is not an excuse for not paying.

Best regards,
Ralf

Amal Al-Arfaj
Amal Al-Arfaj
Saudi Arabia
Member (2005)
English to Arabic
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
They have no idea about the business Dec 10, 2004

The problem is that the company know nothing about the business as they said. So they will wait for his return to ask him about it.
I remember I send him an email once and replied after 5 or 6 days. He said he was outside US.

Register mail would take at least 17 days to be sent to them. What about faxing the invoce? Is it a good idea?

Ralf Lemster
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Why not? Dec 10, 2004

Hi again,
The problem is that the company know nothing about the business as they said. So they will wait for his return to ask him about it.

Yeah, right... and you're still hesitant about posting on the BlueBoard?

Register mail would take at least 17 days to be sent to them. What about faxing the invoce? Is it a good idea?

A starting point, at least.

Best regards,
Ralf

Amal Al-Arfaj
Amal Al-Arfaj
Saudi Arabia
Member (2005)
English to Arabic
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
But I'm not allowed to use the BlueBoard Dec 10, 2004

First of all thank you for your quick responses.

Look at this...
(under question no. 2) www.proz.com/faq/blue_board_agency

"If you have worked on a project with a client but were late or otherwise negligent in delivering work, you may not make an entry for that client."

So I'm not allowed to use the BB, I guess.

I will send the comapny th
... See more
First of all thank you for your quick responses.

Look at this...
(under question no. 2) www.proz.com/faq/blue_board_agency

"If you have worked on a project with a client but were late or otherwise negligent in delivering work, you may not make an entry for that client."

So I'm not allowed to use the BB, I guess.

I will send the comapny the invoice both via email and fax. There's nothing more I could do, is there?

Thanks gain
Collapse

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

My client does not respond

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »