Spain
Local time: 06:34
Member (2007)
English
+ ...
Your normal hourly rate Aug 23, 2014

nesrine echroudi wrote:
I wonder what rate per USD should I ask for per hour for checking

If you don't think you have one I'm sure you're wrong. It would be the same as you earn (or hope to earn) from an hour of translating.

Direct link Reply with quote

perledelune
Tunisia
Arabic to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Checking is not the Same as Translating Aug 23, 2014

BUt checking the points I've mentionned isn't translating, it's meerly proofreading but a little bit more !

Sheila Wilson  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2007)
English
+ ...
"merely" proofreading? Aug 23, 2014

Are you implying that that's worth less than translation? I don't think that's true. QC (including proofreading) is an important part of the process in providing any text of irreproachable quality, whether translated or not. You could make a case for it being worth more, but personally I settle for the same rate per hour of my time, whatever I do. Which is why I offer monolingual transcription but rarely do it, as that could be called more of an audio-typist's job and so isn't generally paid what I ask.

perledelune
Tunisia
Arabic to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
price Aug 23, 2014

So if I rate my translation 0.09 USD/w , quality checking should be the same .
Then, I calculate how much it will be per hour.
But does Audio/Video synchronization check counted in this price or not??

Sheila Wilson  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2007)
English
+ ...
Checking doesn't fit well with a per-word or per-minute rate Aug 23, 2014

I don't know how many words you can normally process in an hour, Nesrine. But the calculation for your rate per hour is simply rate per word x words per hour (fully-processed, ready-to-deliver words, including your own checking, not just translating). The only reason translators charge this way is because it's convenient, and is understood by everyone. Other things are charged differently. Audio/video work is often charged by the minute of audio/video. But when you're checking, your speed doesn't depend on your own ability to handle the content; it depends on the quality of the content, and that's outside your control. If you actually get to examine the whole file very carefully then you can give a per-minute rate if you like, but if you can't do that, or you don't have the time, then a per-hour quote is the only safe way to go. Why correct someone else's disaster for next-to-nothing?

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

English to Arabic Qc RATE

Advanced search

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search