Subtitling - what to charge
Thread poster: xxxinkamaria
xxxinkamaria  Identity Verified
Local time: 20:49
English to German
+ ...
Dec 9, 2004

Hi everybody, I have been approached by a large translation company to do some subtitling work for them (severals movies, EN > GERM). I am at loss what to charge since they want me to charge per minute and use some special software (which I would have to obtain first to get this job done). Anybody out there who is experienced in this field?

Direct link Reply with quote

Juan Jacob  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 13:49
French to Spanish
+ ...
Beware. Dec 9, 2004

I suppose they want you to translate FOR subtitling, not subtiling.
My advice: if you don't have any experience in this very specific translation field, don't do it.
It's not just: "Well, I'm going to translate a motion picture, what's so difficult about it? Besides, it'll be funny."
Luck.

Johanna Timm, PhD  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 11:49
Member (2002)
English to German
+ ...
search function Dec 9, 2004

Hi Inkamaria,
Our clever programmers have provided us with a nifty little tool to search for previously discussed issues. At the top of the forum page, on the right hand side, is a little white box ‘Search Forums’. You just need to enter ’subtitling’ and voila - all you ever wanted to know about subtitling magically appears on a neatly organized screen
Good luck!
johanna

English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
reply Dec 10, 2004

Juan Jacob wrote:

I suppose they want you to translate FOR subtitling, not subtiling.
My advice: if you don't have any experience in this very specific translation field, don't do it.
It's not just: "Well, I'm going to translate a motion picture, what's so difficult about it? Besides, it'll be funny."
Luck.

thanks! maybe i should have stressed that i have done this kind of work before?!

English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
reply Dec 10, 2004

Johanna Timm, PhD wrote:

Hi Inkamaria,
Our clever programmers have provided us with a nifty little tool to search for previously discussed issues. At the top of the forum page, on the right hand side, is a little white box ‘Search Forums’. You just need to enter ’subtitling’ and voila - all you ever wanted to know about subtitling magically appears on a neatly organized screen
Good luck!
johanna

thanks Johanna, that really helped! ;o)

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Subtitling - what to charge

Advanced search

SDL MultiTerm 2017
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software by the industry leaders.

SDL MultiTerm 2017 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2017 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »
Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search