Subtitling - what to charge
Thread poster: inkamaria (X)

inkamaria (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 02:03
English to German
+ ...
Dec 9, 2004

Hi everybody, I have been approached by a large translation company to do some subtitling work for them (severals movies, EN > GERM). I am at loss what to charge since they want me to charge per minute and use some special software (which I would have to obtain first to get this job done). Anybody out there who is experienced in this field?

Juan Jacob  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 19:03
French to Spanish
+ ...
Beware. Dec 9, 2004

I suppose they want you to translate FOR subtitling, not subtiling.
My advice: if you don't have any experience in this very specific translation field, don't do it.
It's not just: "Well, I'm going to translate a motion picture, what's so difficult about it? Besides, it'll be funny."
Luck.

Johanna Timm, PhD  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 17:03
Member (2002)
English to German
+ ...
search function Dec 9, 2004

Hi Inkamaria,
Our clever programmers have provided us with a nifty little tool to search for previously discussed issues. At the top of the forum page, on the right hand side, is a little white box ‘Search Forums’. You just need to enter ’subtitling’ and voila - all you ever wanted to know about subtitling magically appears on a neatly organized screenicon_wink.gif
Good luck!
johanna

English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
reply Dec 10, 2004

Juan Jacob wrote:

I suppose they want you to translate FOR subtitling, not subtiling.
My advice: if you don't have any experience in this very specific translation field, don't do it.
It's not just: "Well, I'm going to translate a motion picture, what's so difficult about it? Besides, it'll be funny."
Luck.

thanks! maybe i should have stressed that i have done this kind of work before?!

English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
reply Dec 10, 2004

Johanna Timm, PhD wrote:

Hi Inkamaria,
Our clever programmers have provided us with a nifty little tool to search for previously discussed issues. At the top of the forum page, on the right hand side, is a little white box ‘Search Forums’. You just need to enter ’subtitling’ and voila - all you ever wanted to know about subtitling magically appears on a neatly organized screenicon_wink.gif
Good luck!
johanna

thanks Johanna, that really helped! ;o)

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Subtitling - what to charge

Advanced search

BaccS – Business Accounting Software
Modern desktop project management for freelance translators

BaccS makes it easy for translators to manage their projects, schedule tasks, create invoices, and view highly customizable reports. User-friendly, ProZ.com integration, community-driven development – a few reasons BaccS is trusted by translators!

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search