The image and the profit of a translator - Quiz for my thesis
Thread poster: Erica Di Tano
Sep 24, 2014

Dear Translators,

my name is Erica and I am currently studying "Languages and Communication for Business and Tourism" at the University of Aosta Valley in Italy. As part of my graduation, I am writing a thesis about the figure of the translator. In particular I am conducting a research on the economic profits of a translator, and by consequence, on his/her stauts in the society. This survey is addressed to translators, both from Italy and other European countries. I want to analyse the differences between an Italian translator and an European one, though I believe that the crisis of the translator is global. I will focus on the solutions given by professional translators.
I ask you to fill in this questionnaire, even anonymously:

http://www.thesistools.com/web/?id=428068

For any question regarding this research, please feel free to contact me.

Your help will be much appreciated.
Erica

[Edited at 2014-09-25 10:54 GMT]

Direct link Reply with quote

Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 13:23
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
What do you mean... Sep 25, 2014

Erica Di Tano wrote:
As part of my graduation, I am writing a thesis about the figure of the translator.

What do you mean by "the figure"? Is that an Italian financial term? Or do you mean whether translators are overweight? Or do you mean the general caricature of translators? Or do you mean how many translators there are?

Samuel

Gad Kohenov  Identity Verified
Israel
Local time: 14:23
English to Hebrew
+ ...
figures=numeri Sep 25, 2014

I guess this is what is meant.

Gianluigi Desogus, PhD  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 11:23
English to Italian
+ ...
figura Sep 25, 2014

it means a mix of "image, personality, way of life, professional stance" and more; it's got nothing to do with numbers. It can also be interpreted as "the way a translator and his/her profession is viewed by others.

Erica Di Tano
Italy
TOPIC STARTER
Translation Mistake :) Sep 25, 2014

I am sorry, I used the wrong word, I translated quickly and improperly! The definition of Gianluigi expresses what I meant.
I will change it asap!

Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 13:23
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
@Erica Sep 25, 2014

Erica Di Tano wrote:
I am sorry, I used the wrong word...

It's not the wrong word per se... it's just ambiguous in the paragraph that you used it in.

==
Added:

Sorry to be annoying, but it just occurred to me: when you say "the profit", do you mean "how much money the translator makes" or do you mean "the economic usefulness of the translator"? You may ignore this question if you meant the former.

[Edited at 2014-09-25 11:02 GMT]

Tom in London
United Kingdom
Local time: 12:23
Member (2008)
Italian to English
Personal details Sep 25, 2014

Ciao Erica

Your very first question requires the respondent to give their personal details (name and address).

Most people would not be willing to give that information.

Erica Di Tano
Italy
TOPIC STARTER
Not necessary Sep 25, 2014

Tom in London wrote:

Ciao Erica

Your very first question requires the respondent to give their personal details (name and address).

Most people would not be willing to give that information.

Thank you for your comment.
The answer to those questions is not mandatory to go on with the questionnaire. It would just make it easier for me (obviously it will stay anonymous on the final paper).
However the place where you work is very important for the research itself, since I will compare different places with the related profits and work environment.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

The image and the profit of a translator - Quiz for my thesis

Advanced search

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »
memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search