https://www.proz.com/forum/money_matters/275893-price_for_certification_depending_on_volume.html

Price for certification depending on volume?
Thread poster: Conny Gritzner
Conny Gritzner
Conny Gritzner  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 10:49
English to German
+ ...
Oct 7, 2014

Hi! I was asked to certify a patent translation of more than 12,000 words. Does the same certification fee apply to texts of a large volume (in my case EUR 30)? Thanks for your help!

Bernhard Sulzer
Bernhard Sulzer  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 04:49
English to German
+ ...
It should Oct 7, 2014

Conny Gritzner wrote:

Hi! I was asked to certify a patent translation of more than 12,000 words. Does the same certification fee apply to texts of a large volume (in my case EUR 30)? Thanks for your help!

At least from my point of view. Those are two different things, the revision work and then the certification process. Certification here (US) means that I take my certification template (incl. attestation of accuracy) to a notary public and sign it there and have her/him cosign it with stamp or seal. The price for the revision is a separate thing, depending on the quality of the original text and other considerations. The work and price for the certification should be the same for all documents.

Sheila Wilson
Sheila Wilson  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 09:49
Member (2007)
English
+ ...
Don't you have to certify each page? Oct 7, 2014

Bernhard Sulzer wrote:
I take my certification template (incl. attestation of accuracy) to a notary public and sign it there and have her/him cosign it with stamp or seal.

Just curious - it's something I've never done.

I know that when I sign a really important contract (such as house purchase) I have to at least initial every page. Doesn't much the same happen in this case? Otherwise, you'd have the certification on the first or last page (or a separate page?) and once they get separated there's no certification at all. In fact, someone could attach a few pages of MT to your certified work!

Bernhard Sulzer
United States
English to German
+ ...
As a separate document Oct 7, 2014

Sheila Wilson wrote:

Bernhard Sulzer wrote:
I take my certification template (incl. attestation of accuracy) to a notary public and sign it there and have her/him cosign it with stamp or seal.

Just curious - it's something I've never done.

I know that when I sign a really important contract (such as house purchase) I have to at least initial every page. Doesn't much the same happen in this case? Otherwise, you'd have the certification on the first or last page (or a separate page?) and once they get separated there's no certification at all. In fact, someone could attach a few pages of MT to your certified work!

The certification template must contain information that enables the reader/client to identify the original text and the translation (headlines, title, page numbers, or, if you want, your initials on each page, point to statements you put down at the end of the documents or on each page, etc.) and to recognize that the translation is indeed the translation of the original document (based on the identifying information) and that the translation is accurate. Of course you can state things on individual pages of the translation or at the end, but I always keep the actual certification document separate (I think it's safer), with my signature (attestation of accuracy) and signed and stamped by a notary public. You could (probably should) include a warning about not tempering with the translated work and keep a copy of your translation and the certificate for yourself just in case someone challenges your work. Similar aspects will apply to the work if it is a revision. But you then certify that you revised a previous document (translation).

[Edited at 2014-10-07 14:03 GMT]

Bernhard Sulzer
United States
English to German
+ ...
Regarding certifying various documents Oct 7, 2014

Sheila Wilson wrote:

Don't you have to certify each page?

One more thought: I have never "certified" each page of a document with multiple pages; I only certify that each page/all pages of the document is/are an accurate rendering/translation/revision of the original text. If you were to "certify" each page, then that would mean separate certification processes for each page = several individual certifications whereby the pages would really be separate documents and you would have several certifications and possibly charge something different for that kind of certification. IMO.

[Edited at 2014-10-07 14:10 GMT]

Henry Hinds
Henry Hinds  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 02:49
English to Spanish
+ ...
In memoriam
Pages Oct 7, 2014

In a certified translation, I provide one certificate (maybe notarized or maybe not) and place my stamp and initial on each page, including a copy of the original stamped and initialed. That's my practice.

564354352 (X)
564354352 (X)  Identity Verified
Denmark
Danish to English
+ ...
Certification of one or each page differs from one country to another Oct 8, 2014

Sheila Wilson wrote:

As I understand it, some countries prefer/expect certifications to be added to each page of a document (Spanish-speaking countries, at least), whereas here (in Denmark) just adding one certification at the beginning or end of a document is considered sufficient. Mind you, when certifying a document, we make some effort to ensure that the document and the certification cannot easily be split up without leaving marks from e.g. staples or wax stamps.

P.S. In terms of pricing, I charge one set fee for a certification, even if I have to scatter my stamp liberally on all pages.

[Edited at 2014-10-08 05:03 GMT]

Paweł Hamerski
Paweł Hamerski
Poland
English to Polish
+ ...
In Poland I have a different rate for certified translation Oct 8, 2014

and I don't charge a set fee just for certification only. If I have to certify somebody's else translation I still charge a fee per page/1125 characters.
Of course I may charge a set fee but I am not accustomed to it.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Price for certification depending on volume?

Translation news

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »