Subtitling Conformer - services and rates (EN-IT)
Thread poster: monica dal compare

monica dal compare  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 16:24
Member (2009)
English to Italian
+ ...
Oct 11, 2014

Dear colleagues,

I have been selected to be a Subtitling Conformer. The email I received says that this role will be my first step into the hiring subtitling company and will allow me to take on translation tasks as I gain experience.
The conforming rate is $0.48 USD/min. of runtime. This includes watching through a time-coded English subtitle file, looking for obvious objective errors, timing issues or missing sections of text, and final checks for spelling and syntax with automated tools.
I am new to the subtitling world so I would like to know if it is a fair rate.
The contract provides that Contractor agrees to provide translation, conforming, and proofreading services. This leaves me puzzled because I thought that conforming should not include translating.
What do you think?
Thanks in advance for your advice.

Monica

Direct link Reply with quote

Nicole Coesel  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2012)
Dutch to English
+ ...
Absurd! Oct 11, 2014

Dear Monica,

Please put on your TV and time 1 minute. What you will hear during that minute, you will later see in writing. Trust me, that is a LOT.

What they offer comes down to an hourly rate of USD 28.80 for 60 minutes or runtime.
1 minute of runtime will take you, at the very least, 5 times as much to check.

Meaning what they actually offer is an hourly rate of USD 5.76.

That would actually be an ok rate per minute in this market segment, but per hour??

Even if you would "only" have to proof the text, this customer of yours seems like an absolute bottom feeder to me.

I am by no means trying to discourage you from entering into this segment, but I don't want to see you get hurt and be abused.

I hope more people will speak up to let you know there are better partners out there to work for.

Best of luck!

Thayenga  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2009)
English to German
+ ...
USD 0.48/audio minute Oct 11, 2014

Dear Monica,

I must agree with Nicole. And also need to add that if you have 1 or 2 speakers, an audio minute can take between 5 - 8 minutes to check.

Imagine having 1 audio minute during which 5 or 6 people are engaged in a heated argument. In this case, depending on the provided English script, 1 single audio minute can take you anywhere between 10 - 15 minutes to check, especially ensuring the correct placement of the >> for each speaker. And it's not all that rare that this occurs. This would provide you with an hourly gross income of approximately USD 2.00 - whatever fees apply at payment of invoice.

If you can afford it and want to gain experience in the subtitling industry, you could accept the task at this rate. However, consider this, that would ruin not only your rates with the company, but they could then (rightfully) assume that all editors/translators/subtitlers are "happy" with such a rate.

IT Pros Subs
Italy
Member (2005)
English to Italian
+ ...
Forget about it Oct 13, 2014

Monica,

that rate is simply outrageous. Stay away!!!!

Italy
Member (2009)
English to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
That's what I thought Oct 13, 2014

Thanks all for your helpful comments!
That's what I thought: a rip-off, which I am not going to accept!
Have a nice day!

flaviabandeira
English to Portuguese
OMG Oct 21, 2014

Monica, hi.

I got the same email...must be the same company.

Italy
Member (2009)
English to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Same company Oct 21, 2014

Hi Flavia,

It is very likely it is the same company.
Apparently a lot of people have worked for that company... I hope just to gain experience.

Regards

Monica

Marina B-Saba
France
English to Arabic
+ ...
same here! Oct 19, 2016

They have sent me the same description of the job but told me that it's excluding translation (though the contract states translation included).
However, does it seem to anybody a fair rate (0.48$/video minute) supposing that it excludes translation?

Thank you
Marina

[Edited at 2016-10-20 12:09 GMT]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Subtitling Conformer - services and rates (EN-IT)

Advanced search

BaccS – Business Accounting Software
Modern desktop project management for freelance translators

BaccS makes it easy for translators to manage their projects, schedule tasks, create invoices, and view highly customizable reports. User-friendly, ProZ.com integration, community-driven development – a few reasons BaccS is trusted by translators!

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search