Tecton
United Kingdom
Local time: 12:36
Member (2013)
German to English
+ ...
Oct 13, 2014

Hi there,
I have been asked by an agency to quote a rate for writing blog articles on a technological subject. I think they will provide a source article in German which they want blogged into English.
They want me to quote a word rate but my instinct is to quote an hourly rate. I would be interested to hear from anyone who has done this sort of work before.

Direct link Reply with quote

philgoddard
United States
Member (2009)
German to English
+ ...
Writing or translating? Oct 13, 2014

This sounds like translation to me. Blogging implies writing original content, but you've said they're providing that.

Tecton
United Kingdom
Local time: 12:36
Member (2013)
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Advice on blogging rates Oct 13, 2014

Hello Phil,
So far they have only sent a test which involves inventing a story around the introduction of some new technology in the broadcasting field. I think they want a sort of translocation service so that the copy is written by a native speaker in their own words rather than translating their text.

Regards

Tecton

Michael Wetzel  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 13:36
German to English
djv is probably the best source of information Oct 14, 2014

Take a look at the site of the Deutscher Journalisten-Verband (djv.de): It has a lot of information on this topic. I'm sure that there are also copywriter ("Texter") associations in Germany. What you are describing sounds like normal PR work except that the information provided by the client happens to be in a different language than the PR material.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Advice on blogging rates

Advanced search

LSP.expert
You’re a freelance translator? LSP.expert helps you manage your daily translation jobs. It’s easy, fast and secure.

How about you start tracking translation jobs and sending invoices in minutes? You can also manage your clients and generate reports about your business activities. So you always keep a clear view on your planning, AND you get a free 30 day trial period!

More info »
memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search