Tax and Social Security in Austria
Thread poster: Patrick Harper
Patrick Harper
United Kingdom
Nov 11, 2014

Hello,

I'm a freelance German to English translator and am thinking of moving to Vienna next year. However, I've heard that the social security rates are rather high. Are there any freelance translators in Austria who could give me an approximate idea of how much tax and social security I would pay each year (perhaps based on an income of 45,000 euros)? I've tried some of the online calculators, but they all come up with completely different figures.

Thank you

Patrick

Direct link Reply with quote

Nicole Coesel  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 12:25
Member (2012)
Dutch to English
+ ...
Maybe you should take your question to the next level. Nov 11, 2014

It may be smart to contact an accountant in Vienna who could provide you with more accurate information based on your personal circumstances.

As everywhere (at least in Europe) tax law is very complex and I think your safest bet for sound advise would be to get it from professionals close to the source

Good luck!

Nicole.

David Wright  Identity Verified
Austria
Local time: 12:25
German to English
+ ...
It depends Nov 11, 2014

On whether your 45,000 is net of all expenditure and all deductions you can make (which can be quite considerable, but there you need a tax advisor) Assuming it is, then you will pay around 12,000 in social security and pension contributions, and aroun 13,000 tax (but do get these checked, these are rough calculatiosn based on what I pay, and could be somewhat inaccurate. A good rule of thumb is to take your total income less outsourced work / employees salaries if you have any; halve the figure you then get and that will be roughly the amount you're left with.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Tax and Social Security in Austria

Advanced search

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search