Re: Are hours of familiarization paid?
Thread poster: Erwin S. Fernandez

Erwin S. Fernandez
Philippines
Local time: 11:21
English to Pangasinan
+ ...
Nov 17, 2014

I translated a website and was again asked to test the website. I realized a few days after accepting this latter job that I was not paid for hours in familiarizing with the website that required me to register two accounts and read everything on the website. Last week I was paid for the translation job before the deadline. But it came to me if it is possible to ask for payment for hours spent in familiarizing with the website before the translation began. I read somewhere here that this task of familiarization before translation is also remunerated. Is this true in all cases? Is it all right for me to request payment for this familiarization that took many hours of my time so that I could understand the intricacies of the website two months after the work of translation has finished? I have yet to send my invoice on the testing job.

Direct link Reply with quote

564354352  Identity Verified
Denmark
Local time: 05:21
Danish to English
+ ...
Your fee is what you agree with your client Nov 17, 2014

Before you accept any job, you have to consider at least two things:

1. the number of words you are asked to translate, and
2. any additional time you will need to spend on any number of things, including familiarising yourself with material the client asks you to look at, necessary research, text layout and/or re-formatting, proofreading/post-editing, maybe inserting the text into a special template or a website.

Once you have a reasonably clear idea of these things, you can submit your price to your client.

If, on the other hand, you have accepted a job from a client and quoted a price that only takes into consideration the number of words to be translated, and you then subsequently find that you have spent X number of hours in addition to the 'mere' work of translation, you have two choices:

1. Accept that you made a mistake in your quoting, learn from this and move on, or
2. Let the client know and see if you can negotiate payment for all the extra hours you worked.

In my view, you cannot simply add X number of hours to your invoice if you have not agreed to do so with your client.

Always remember that it is YOU who should set the price for a job, and whatever YOU believe to be the right price for YOUR work IS the right price. You should not allow your clients to decide YOUR prices. However, you still have to agree on a price BEFORE you start a job.

jyuan_us  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 23:21
Member (2005)
English to Chinese
+ ...
You were asked to test the website which you translated as a separate job Nov 17, 2014

Erwin S. Fernandez wrote:

I translated a website and was again asked to test the website. I realized a few days after accepting this latter job that I was not paid for hours in familiarizing with the website that required me to register two accounts and read everything on the website. Last week I was paid for the translation job before the deadline. But it came to me if it is possible to ask for payment for hours spent in familiarizing with the website before the translation began. I read somewhere here that this task of familiarization before translation is also remunerated. Is this true in all cases? Is it all right for me to request payment for this familiarization that took many hours of my time so that I could understand the intricacies of the website two months after the work of translation has finished? I have yet to send my invoice on the testing job.

Is that the case? If so, why did you mention "if it is possible to ask for payment for hours spent in familiarizing with the website before the translation began"? What does the task of testing the website include? Does it involve additional pages to translate?

xxxnrichy
France
French to Dutch
+ ...
Searching for documentation is never paid Nov 17, 2014

I agree with Gitte, but documenting yourself (reading articles, searching for glossaries, buying dictionaries, preparing files, but also reading websites in general and the client's website in particular) is a part of the translation work and should be a part of your rates. If you ask this question, this means that your margin is far too low. In most cases you cannot just open the file and translate right away.
Especially for websites, it is nice to have a second screen on your desk and open the website in it, and then translate on the other screen. You may even use an old computer for this.

Edward Potter  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2003)
Spanish to English
+ ...
You are worth the price you quoted Nov 17, 2014

Before you did this job, you were less experienced about quoting. You were worth less.

Now you are worth more, having gone through this experience. You have become a different man. Charge more next time.

That said, you might verrrry carefully ask for a bit of compensation for your trouble.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Re: Are hours of familiarization paid?

Advanced search

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search