Pages in topic:   [1 2 3] >
PayPal requires a copy of my photo ID and confirmation of my address.
Thread poster: Maija Cirule

Maija Cirule  Identity Verified
Latvia
German to English
+ ...
Dec 26, 2014

I am not sure that this is not a personal data stealing attempt and want to close my account with them. The problem is that I have ca 500 EUR in the account and cannot withdraw them without submitting the requested data. I am almost ready to to abandon PayPal all together. Dear colleagues I would like to hear your opinion. Every idea will be welcome and highly appreciated.

Direct link Reply with quote

Thomas T. Frost  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 23:02
Member (2014)
French to Danish
+ ...
No problem Dec 26, 2014

I don't see the problem. Banks can be required by law to verify who you are and where you live. Paypal Europe is legally registered as a bank in Luxembourg.

Tom in London
United Kingdom
Local time: 22:02
Member (2008)
Italian to English
I sympathise Dec 26, 2014

Maija Cirule wrote:

I am not sure that this is not a personal data stealing attempt and want to close my account with them. The problem is that I have ca 500 EUR in the account and cannot withdraw them without submitting the requested data. I am almost ready to to abandon PayPal all together. Dear colleagues I would like to hear your opinion. Every idea will be welcome and highly appreciated.

I sympathise. It was this kind of behaviour that convinced me, some years ago, to get rid of PayPal and never have anything more to do with them. I have heard some scary stories about them, such as people who have had their account completely blocked and were then forced to jump through all kinds of bureaucratic hoops in order to get it open again.

And for what? For most people working between European countries, a simple bank transfer is just as good, if not better.

All I can suggest is that you submit the information they want, withdraw all your money from your account, and then never have anything more to do with PayPal. Your life will be happier!

[Edited at 2014-12-26 18:04 GMT]

Latvia
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
But I do not want Dec 26, 2014

Tom in London wrote:

Maija Cirule wrote:

I sympathise. It was this kind of behaviour that convinced me, some years ago, to get rid of PayPal and never have anything more to do with them.

All I can suggest is that you submit the information they want, withdraw all your money from your account, and then never have anything more to do with PayPal.

to send my personal data over internet. In my book, it is just crazy.

With European countries, of course, wire transfer is very suitable but I have several high-paying clients in USA and this is a more complicated matter.

[Edited at 2014-12-26 18:27 GMT]

Thayenga  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2009)
English to German
+ ...
Personalized? Dec 26, 2014

Maija Cirule wrote:

Did they address you by your name? If not, then it's a pishing attempt. If yes, then submit the required documents, ensuring that part of your ID number is blackened (PDF with password that prevents copying, editing and printing of the file, and another password required to open the document), then withdraw your money and walk on.

[Edited at 2014-12-26 18:08 GMT]

Iris Schmerda  Identity Verified
France
French to German
+ ...
Ask PayPal first Dec 26, 2014

Dear Maija,

you should contact PayPal first and ask if the message really came from them.

Sometimes PayPal sends out this kind of messages, but sometimes criminals do that for stealing data (even if the message looks really authentic).
I got both, real and fake messages from PayPal, luckily I always asked first.

If PayPal confirms that the message came from them, it should be ok.

Latvia
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Of course, they addressed me by my name Dec 26, 2014

Thayenga wrote:

Maija Cirule wrote:

Did they address you by your name? If not, then it's a pishing attempt. If yes, then submit the required documents, withdraw your money and walk on.

otherwise I would not reacted at all. The problem is that I know several cases when bank employees simply misused customers data.

Germany
Member (2014)
French to Danish
+ ...
Not much to do Dec 26, 2014

Maija Cirule wrote:
otherwise I would not reacted at all. The problem is that I know several cases when bank employees simply misused customers data.

Well, nothing is without risk, and if you don't want to hand over your id to banks, then you can't have any bank accounts. But you cannot live a normal life without a bank account.

There are plenty of reasons to be unhappy with Paypal. Apart from excessive prices, have a look at http://www.paypalwarning.com/ . I don't use them any more than absolutely necessary, but not because they may need an id.

Germany
Member (2009)
English to German
+ ...
In this case Dec 26, 2014

Maija Cirule wrote:

Did they address you by your name? If not, then it's a pishing attempt. If yes, then submit the required documents, withdraw your money and walk on.

otherwise I would not reacted at all. The problem is that I know several cases when bank employees simply misused customers data. [/quote]

You can either call them or send an email (I know this info is difficult to find out). or use the protected PDF, of course encrypted.

Sheila Wilson  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 22:02
Member (2007)
English
+ ...
Do they have other confirmation of who you are? Dec 26, 2014

I'm sure I've never given them either of those, though they have my postal address and bank details. I always assumed that they would deliver funds to my bank account without question because the bank itself have verified the account by sending and receiving small amounts. And that's what happens for me (or at least that's how it has worked in the past).

Have you changed some circumstances that have brought this on, perhaps? Have you moved country for example? Or asked them to credit a bank in another country? They are very strict that cross-border transactions of that type are not possible - money must be transferred between them and banks in the country you register as being in. When I moved from France to Spain I had to set up a new account with them.

Do be very careful to check the validity any email from them as the scammers ("phishermen"?) are getting very clever.

Latvia
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
My earnings per year have exceeded a certain amount - 2 thousand and something Euros Dec 26, 2014

Sheila Wilson wrote:

I'm sure I've never given them either of those, though they have my postal address and bank details. I always assumed that they would deliver funds to my bank account without question because the bank itself have verified the account by sending and receiving small amounts. And that's what happens for me (or at least that's how it has worked in the past).

Have you changed some circumstances that have brought this on, perhaps? Have you moved country for example? Or asked them to credit a bank in another country? They are very strict that cross-border transactions of that type are not possible - money must be transferred between them and banks in the country you register as being in. When I moved from France to Spain I had to set up a new account with them.

Do be very careful to check the validity any email from them as the scammers ("phishermen"?) are getting very clever.

and now they wish to obtain my personal data, I wonder if they will require my account username and password in the future. .

[Edited at 2014-12-26 18:39 GMT]

Germany
Member (2009)
English to German
+ ...
One way to find out Dec 26, 2014

Maija Cirule wrote:

Sheila Wilson wrote:

and now they wish to obtain my personal data, I wonder if they will require my account username and password in the future. .

[Edited at 2014-12-26 18:37 GMT]

Find out their official telephone number in the country of your residence and call them. As stated before, these phone numbers are not easily available, but if you are determined you will find it and then you can clarify the issue with a human being on the line.

Latvia
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
The message certainly is sent by PayPal Dec 26, 2014

Iris Schmerda wrote:

Dear Maija,

you should contact PayPal first and ask if the message really came from them.

Sometimes PayPal sends out this kind of messages, but sometimes criminals do that for stealing data (even if the message looks really authentic).
I got both, real and fake messages from PayPal, luckily I always asked first.

If PayPal confirms that the message came from them, it should be ok.

because the warning of restricted access to my account is posted on their website but I am not happy that my national ID code and other data must be submitted to a bunch of possibly unscrupulous people.

Germany
Member (2014)
French to Danish
+ ...
Paypal UK's user agreement Dec 26, 2014

Under Paypal UK's User Agreement, you are obliged to provide such information. When you start using Paypal, you agree to this agreement. You would have to check the corresponding sections of the User Agreement for your country, but I would be surprised if there were to be much difference.

Highlighting is mine.

Withdrawal/Redemption Limits. You agree to comply with our requests to verify your identity before we redeem E-money to you to allow us to reduce the risk of fraud or to otherwise comply with our anti-money laundering or other legal obligations.

9.1 Restricted Activities. In connection with your use of our website, your Account, or the Services, or in the course of your interactions with PayPal, a User or a third party, you will not:
h. Refuse to cooperate in an investigation or provide confirmation of your identity or any Information you provide to us;
ag. Allow your use of the Service to present to PayPal a risk of non-compliance with PayPal’s anti-money laundering, counter terrorist financing and similar regulatory obligations (including, without limitation, where we cannot verify your identity or you fail to complete the steps to lift your sending, receiving or withdrawal limit in accordance with sections 3.3, 4.1 and 6.3.).

10.6 Information about you

a. PayPal reserves the right to request additional information from you, other than what is referred to in this Agreement, to allow it to comply with its anti-money laundering obligations. You agree to comply with any request for further information as we reasonably require to enable us to comply with our anti-money laundering obligations. This may include, without limitation, requiring you to fax, email or otherwise provide to us certain identification documents. You also agree to provide us, upon our reasonable request and at your own expense, information about your finance and operations, including, without limitation, your most recent financial statements (certified or otherwise) and merchant processing statements (if applicable).

Latvia
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Quatch Dec 26, 2014

Thomas Frost wrote:

Under Paypal UK's User Agreement, you are obliged to provide such information. When you start using Paypal, you agree to this agreement. You would have to check the corresponding sections of the User Agreement for your country, but I would be surprised if there were to be much difference.

Highlighting is mine.

Withdrawal/Redemption Limits. You agree to comply with our requests to verify your identity before we redeem E-money to you to allow us to reduce the risk of fraud or to otherwise comply with our anti-money laundering or other legal obligations.

9.1 Restricted Activities. In connection with your use of our website, your Account, or the Services, or in the course of your interactions with PayPal, a User or a third party, you will not:
h. Refuse to cooperate in an investigation or provide confirmation of your identity or any Information you provide to us;
ag. Allow your use of the Service to present to PayPal a risk of non-compliance with PayPal’s anti-money laundering, counter terrorist financing and similar regulatory obligations (including, without limitation, where we cannot verify your identity or you fail to complete the steps to lift your sending, receiving or withdrawal limit in accordance with sections 3.3, 4.1 and 6.3.).

10.6 Information about you

a. PayPal reserves the right to request additional information from you, other than what is referred to in this Agreement, to allow it to comply with its anti-money laundering obligations. You agree to comply with any request for further information as we reasonably require to enable us to comply with our anti-money laundering obligations. This may include, without limitation, requiring you to fax, email or otherwise provide to us certain identification documents. You also agree to provide us, upon our reasonable request and at your own expense, information about your finance and operations, including, without limitation, your most recent financial statements (certified or otherwise) and merchant processing statements (if applicable).

I am their customer for several years and they verified my identity when I start to use their services. 2000 EUR per 12 months or 166 EUR per month is money laundering?? Wake up and smell the roses. This is by no means a "reasonable request" but a shear stupidity and "I'll show you who's the boss" attitude.

[Edited at 2014-12-26 19:13 GMT]

Pages in topic:   [1 2 3] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

PayPal requires a copy of my photo ID and confirmation of my address.

Advanced search

memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »
Across v6.3
Translation Toolkit and Sales Potential under One Roof

Apart from features that enable you to translate more efficiently, the new Across Translator Edition v6.3 comprises your crossMarket membership. The new online network for Across users assists you in exploring new sales potential and generating revenue.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search