Pages in topic:   [1 2] >
Payment after so many mails
Thread poster: pooja_chic

pooja_chic
French to English
+ ...
Jan 16, 2015

Hello Friends,

I worked with one new client registered on Proz. The PM was very friendly and cooperative at time of assignment.
Now the time arrived for payment. I did not get any invoice cleared without reminder. The PM promised to pay after 35 days. So far, I have 7 invoices, out of which the first too are cleared.
The first two invoices were delayed. The PM promised that the invoices will clear one after other automatically but I need to remind them after every invoice becomes due.
If I mail them, they neither pay nor respond my mail and do not tell me the status. The PM is invisible on skype and he does not reply. I am fed up with their process. After 72 hours, I am posting on Proz forum. I waited for their action but they did not reply.
Is this professionalism? If the translator works and deliver in time, does he not expect payment in time? that too without reminders? And on reminders, the translator is disrespected. The PM says "Is Money everything". Do I have no right to request money for services rendered? Is that frustrating? Yes, it's frustrating for me then why client shouts? Why can't he pay without any reminders?
I started work only after payment policy confirmation. The PM did not tell details in the beginning. When my first invoice was due, he asked me that "Have you given PAN no?" which states that he did not bother to check invoice.
He told me that they have paid me and I did not receive funds, I asked them to prove by sending transaction reference. Then they paid me and I received first payment.
These clients are very clever.
Now please suggest, what to do before posting negative feedback.

pooja_chic

Direct link Reply with quote

Tom in London
United Kingdom
Local time: 18:54
Member (2008)
Italian to English
What country? Jan 16, 2015

These matters need to be dealt with swiftly and surgically.

I can advise. I got paid yesterday within 24 hours by an agency who thought they might be able to avoid paying me and who didn't reply to my emails. I discussed the matter in this thread:

http://tinyurl.com/p7vxwzl

But first: in what country is your outsourcer? Please email me privately with a link to their BlueBoard page.

[Edited at 2015-01-16 16:00 GMT]

Lori Cirefice  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 19:54
French to English
PAN Number Jan 16, 2015

Sounds like India - good luck getting the rest of your payment, you have every right to insist! If they have paid 2 invoices, it sounds promising, you might just have to be patient until they pay the rest, and then never work with them again.

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Sounds like India Jan 16, 2015

But not because the PAN number, but because the attitude: very kind, nice, and swift until they have their problem solved (their delivery done), and terrible slowness when it comes to solving other people's problems.

I am sure there are serious Indian agencies out there, but my experience with Indian agencies is that they care much more about themselves than their suppliers. One of the reasons I do not work for Indian agencies.

As for this case in particular, I would cease any further deliveries until payments are received, and would also post an entry in the Blueboard with a low score as a warning for others to come. Some people only make changes when their good will --or their perception of good will, that is-- is at stake, so being firm is the only thing that works with them.

Andrea Halbritter  Identity Verified
France
French to German
+ ...
Blueboard and next time payment in advance Jan 16, 2015

Make a bad Blueboard entry and if they ever contact you again ask for payment in advance....

Tom in London
United Kingdom
Local time: 18:54
Member (2008)
Italian to English
Do this now Jan 16, 2015

Tomás Cano Binder, CT wrote:

.... post an entry in the Blueboard with a low score as a warning for others to come.

I would strongly advise you to do this immediately. Give them the lowest score possible and restrict your comment to "Very unsatisfactory. Contact me privately for more information."

Then email the agency with the following simple message:

"Dear Sirs,

I invite you to visit the following link. Please pay all outstanding amounts within 24 hours"

(add a link to the BlueBoard entry you just made).

Don't say anything else.

[Edited at 2015-01-16 16:51 GMT]

pooja_chic
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I posted review on facebook and immediately PM replied Jan 16, 2015

I posted on facebook and PM replied ..no he threatened that if I do not remove post, forget the payment.
He spoke rudely and said that they were close due to some festival and I should wait by Monday.
He said we will not die by Monday..see how rude is he!

pooja_chic
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
India Jan 16, 2015

Tom in London wrote:

These matters need to be dealt with swiftly and surgically.

I can advise. I got paid yesterday within 24 hours by an agency who thought they might be able to avoid paying me and who didn't reply to my emails. I discussed the matter in this thread:

http://tinyurl.com/p7vxwzl

But first: in what country is your outsourcer? Please email me privately with a link to their BlueBoard page.

[Edited at 2015-01-16 16:00 GMT]

pooja_chic
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Exactly Jan 16, 2015

Lori Cirefice wrote:

Sounds like India - good luck getting the rest of your payment, you have every right to insist! If they have paid 2 invoices, it sounds promising, you might just have to be patient until they pay the rest, and then never work with them again.

Yes the PM wants me to wait. These agencies are not at all promising.

pooja_chic
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I ceased Jan 16, 2015

But not because the PAN number, but because the attitude: very kind, nice, and swift until they have their problem solved (their delivery done), and terrible slowness when it comes to solving other people's problems.

I am sure there are serious Indian agencies out there, but my experience with Indian agencies is that they care much more about themselves than their suppliers. One of the reasons I do not work for Indian agencies.

As for this case in particular, I would cease any further deliveries until payments are received, and would also post an entry in the Blueboard with a low score as a warning for others to come. Some people only make changes when their good will --or their perception of good will, that is-- is at stake, so being firm is the only thing that works with them.

Yes I ceased working and problem started, the PM turned very rude once I refused working. I must say he speaks very rudely!

Aakash5555
India
Local time: 00:24
Member (2014)
English to Hindi
+ ...
Ask them politely once Jan 17, 2015

Hi,
I would suggest you to ask the agency once and finally about your payment and if there response is still negative then post a negative entry in the Blue board and if still they are not willing to pay then you can sue them. Its your hard earned money and you deserve to be paid on time. I have also faced similar situation once and can understand your situation.

inesec  Identity Verified
Latvia
Member (2014)
German to English
+ ...
Do you live in India? Jan 17, 2015

pooja_chic wrote:

Yes I ceased working and problem started, the PM turned very rude once I refused working. I must say he speaks very rudely!

If not, I wonder why you should work for an Indian agency. Have you never read horror stories about extremely low rates, extremely low level of payment discipline, and lack of any manners? I would never touch them with a barge-pole.

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Our market should be the world Jan 17, 2015

Maija Cirule wrote:
Do you live in India?
If not, I wonder why you should work for an Indian agency.

I work regularly with agencies in 7 other countries (most firms in my areas of expertise write in English even if not the company's main local language), and I find it very easy and pleasant to do business with them. Ideally the world should be a global market and we translators should be able to work for whoever offers us good partnership opportunities. Sadly this is not the case yet, neither with India nor with other countries in the area.

Angie Garbarino  Identity Verified
Member (2003)
French to Italian
+ ...
Do not agree Jan 17, 2015

Maija Cirule wrote:
Do you live in India? If not, I wonder why you should work for an Indian agency. Have you never read horror stories about extremely low rates, extremely low level of payment discipline, and lack of any manners? I would never touch them with a barge-pole.

I have 2 wonderful Indian clients, very pleasant, fast payers and rates are not lower than Italian and Spanish ones.

I have clients all over the world since about 2001, and I learned that generalization about countries is not a valid option. Never.

[Edited at 2015-01-17 12:03 GMT]

Matthias Brombach  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2007)
English to German
+ ...
Bribe a local police officer... Jan 17, 2015

...according to the stories Aravind Adiga writes, that would sometimes be very helpful, when living in India.

pooja_chic wrote:

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Payment after so many mails

Advanced search

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »
BaccS – Business Accounting Software
Modern desktop project management for freelance translators

BaccS makes it easy for translators to manage their projects, schedule tasks, create invoices, and view highly customizable reports. User-friendly, ProZ.com integration, community-driven development – a few reasons BaccS is trusted by translators!

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search