Charging
Thread poster: robertaizidoro
robertaizidoro
robertaizidoro
United Kingdom
Local time: 17:12
English to Portuguese
Jan 18, 2015

I am a young PT(BR) - English translator based in London willing to get more experience, and have recently been offered a job to translate the first few chapters of a children's book. As I am quite new in the field and have no experience charging in the UK myself, I was wondering if someone could give me a rough idea of how much to charge per word. I intend to charge in GB Pound, if that is ok.

The language in the book is quite simple though, nothing too specific.

Tha
... See more
I am a young PT(BR) - English translator based in London willing to get more experience, and have recently been offered a job to translate the first few chapters of a children's book. As I am quite new in the field and have no experience charging in the UK myself, I was wondering if someone could give me a rough idea of how much to charge per word. I intend to charge in GB Pound, if that is ok.

The language in the book is quite simple though, nothing too specific.

Thanks a lot,

Roberta
Collapse

ATIL KAYHAN
ATIL KAYHAN  Identity Verified
Türkiye
Local time: 19:12
Member (2007)
Turkish to English
+ ...
Community Rates Jan 19, 2015

Dear Roberta,

I suggest that you look under the Tools menu > Community rates in ProZ. There is statistical rate information for any language pair there.

ISHWER BANSAL
ISHWER BANSAL
India
Local time: 21:42
Member (2014)
English to Hindi
+ ...
Community Rates Jan 19, 2015

Dear Roberta,

I agree with my predecessure that you should check community rates on proZ.com. As you are new, you should quote yur rates on lower side because due to lower rates, new outsources shall also contaxt you.

Regards,

Ishwer Chand Bansal
mob: 91+9654536831
New Delhi] India

Georgia Morg (X)
Georgia Morg (X)  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Portuguese to English
price Jan 19, 2015

About 0.07 pence per word, I would have thought

Diana Coada (X)
Diana Coada (X)  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Portuguese to English
+ ...
Book translation Jan 19, 2015

1. How many days will it take you?
2. How many days will it take you do revise the wording and improve the text?
3. Will you need to employ a proofreader?
4. How much do you want to make per day?

Book translation should be charged per project and not per word. Word count is only a starting point.

Thayenga
Thayenga  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 18:12
Member (2009)
English to German
+ ...
The translation Jan 19, 2015

Diana Coada, PGDip DPSI NRPSI wrote:

1. How many days will it take you?
2. How many days will it take you do revise the wording and improve the text?
3. Will you need to employ a proofreader?
4. How much do you want to make per day?

Book translation should be charged per project and not per word. Word count is only a starting point.

I agree with Diana. Additionally you need to consider the format in which the file arrives. For example, if the file is a scanned copy of the book, you also need to consider the time required to produce a translatible file, which at times can be a lengthy process.

Fiona Grace Peterson
Fiona Grace Peterson  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 18:12
Italian to English
No, no, and no Jan 19, 2015

ISHWER CHAND BANSAL wrote:

As you are new, you should quote yur rates on lower side because due to lower rates, new outsources shall also contaxt you.

I don't understand the second part of your sentence, Ishwer (the part NOT in bold, my emphasis), however I do not agree that newcomers to the profession should charge less. If Roberta is qualified to do the job in question, she can - and SHOULD - be charging as much as experienced professionals.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Charging

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »