Thread poster: madleen
madleen
United States
Local time: 19:14
Arabic to English
+ ...
Jan 19, 2015

Dear all

I am asked to provide a quote for transcription task for the UN through an agency. The task is about TRANSLATING video interviews and including time codes at the beginning of each sentence. What do you think the rate per video minute should be?
Thank you

[Edited at 2015-01-19 09:24 GMT]

Direct link Reply with quote

Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 03:14
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Ten Jan 19, 2015

madleen wrote:
The task is about TRANSLATING video interviews and including time codes at the beginning of each sentence. What do you think the rate per video minute should be?

Ten times your normal per minute rate.

Sheila Wilson  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 02:14
Member (2007)
English
+ ...
Job with two, or even three, parts Jan 19, 2015

You need to quote for three different services:
1) Transcription of the video, per video minute. This could be at a slightly lower rate than your transcription-only service if (and only if) the client does not require delivery of the transcript. This small discount can be offered because you wouldn't have to worry too much about spelling, typos, punctuation etc.
2) Translation of the transcript, per word.
3) Revision. This translation should then be checked by someone who is suitably experienced, taking in the video in the source language and ensuring that the written translation is accurate and fit for purpose. You would need to pass on that charge to the client, of course, allowing for your time incorporating the editor's comments and changes.

As you're working for an agency, it may be that they prefer to deal with the third step themselves, so you would just check your work yourself before delivering (and that's included in your rates for the first two steps).

Some people reckon they can translate "on the fly": with the source language video converted directly into a target language written text. As you're asking for advice on rates I would say you shouldn't assume you can do it - I don't believe there are many people who can (at least, not to an impeccable standard), to be honest.

Thayenga  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 03:14
Member (2009)
English to German
+ ...
An hourly rate? Jan 19, 2015

Sheila Wilson wrote:

You need to quote for three different services:
1) Transcription of the video, per video minute. This could be at a slightly lower rate than your transcription-only service if (and only if) the client does not require delivery of the transcript. This small discount can be offered because you wouldn't have to worry too much about spelling, typos, punctuation etc.
2) Translation of the transcript, per word.
3) Revision. This translation should then be checked by someone who is suitably experienced, taking in the video in the source language and ensuring that the written translation is accurate and fit for purpose. You would need to pass on that charge to the client, of course, allowing for your time incorporating the editor's comments and changes.

As you're working for an agency, it may be that they prefer to deal with the third step themselves, so you would just check your work yourself before delivering (and that's included in your rates for the first two steps).

Some people reckon they can translate "on the fly": with the source language video converted directly into a target language written text. As you're asking for advice on rates I would say you shouldn't assume you can do it - I don't believe there are many people who can (at least, not to an impeccable standard), to be honest.

I agree with Sheila 100%. Only interpreters can accurately translate a video "on the fly" (I like this expression.

Depending on the quality of the video and, which mustn't be underestimated, the number of words per audio minute, you can apply your normal rate per hour, estimate how many hours you will need to transcribe, translate and time-code and then proofread the translation once (if your client does the final proofreading) the file. This should provide you with a fairly accurate per audio minute rate.

However, it is more transparent for your client if you quote a rate for each of the process steps involved.

Lincoln Hui  Identity Verified
Hong Kong
Local time: 10:14
Chinese to English
+ ...
Direct transcription from audio Jan 19, 2015

Only interpreters can accurately translate a video "on the fly"

I will never be an interpreter, but I have no problem translating directly from audio from either of my main languages.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Transcription fee

Advanced search

memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »
Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search